Ruger MD Compliant AR-556 - Way to Go Ruger!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    That thing is an abomination and an insult.

No way in hell I'm buying a Connecticut compliant rifle if I don't have to. If I want a fixed stock, it'll be an A2 or A1 stock, not a fake telescoping stock.

Aray's daughter saved our Goldilocks stocks. and that's what I demand.

By the way, thank your daughter one more time for all of us, Aray.

(I want a flash hider and a bayonet lug, too. Don't need no damn silly flare launcher, but but I needs my bayonet for repelling cavalry charges.)

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    People are thinking this was intended as a Maryland rifle. It was not. They included Maryland in their list, but this rifle was obviously not set up with any specific thought to Maryland laws.

It's being marketed as a "Restricted States" rifle, meeting restrictions far worse than Maryland's.

We fought to keep our telescoping stocks, our flash hiders, and bayonet lugs. Why should we impose worse restrictions on ourselves than our anti-gun legislature does?

This is a BGOS rifle.

Stephen M

Jan 20, 2013
    MoCo
    This is where they state it in writing. I would hope they consulted same knowledgeable legal authority before making such a claim.

http://www.ruger.com/products/ar556/

Now I'm wondering who's actually at legal risk if they send a non-compliant rifle to a MD FFL who then transfers it. I would think the FFL would be the one in hot water, at least as far as MSP is concerned. I don't think a manufacturer's mistaken interpretation of MD law gets the FFL off the hook. But IANAL.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ahhhh , Ruger didn't make a rifle specifically for Marylanders. They typed Maryland onto the list of states to aim the Mass/ NJ rifles. IF they actually take Md seriously , anf engrave the letters "H*B*A*R" upon it , or even include said letters in their official company literature and specifications we could give each other high fives. As Is, still kinda ambigous.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    OK, I posted at the bottom of page 1.

Ruger gets partial credit for implying the existance of Maryland , and our plight. They didn't go all the way with truely Md specific rifle. Is partial recognition worse than totally ignoring us and writing us off ? I'll leave it to each of us.

Meanwhile, I freely admit to doing various project witha large part of motivation to give the finger to O'Mally on as many levels as possable. But true freedom is having choices to make for ourselves. If I wish to have a rifle with an unthreaded bull bbl and fixed stock, it's because I want one, and not because I'm battering myself.

Merlin593

Mar 29, 2013
    Towson, MD
    Where are the HBAR police when you need them? ;)
    Time for a reality check - Just like the 10 round mag law, this whole HBAR thing is unenforceable and was put into SB281 as a feel good clause rather than having any real effect on reducing perceived gun violence. The design of a barrel doesn't mean squat when it comes to how many rounds I can put down range at one time.
    You can go online and buy government profile/pencil barrels/complete uppers all day long and have them shipped to Maryland. Guys on this board in the classifieds sell non HBAR barrels/uppers. Gun shops in Maryland sell complete non HBAR uppers. Geez- I wonder what lowers these non compliant barrels might be ending up on? I'm sure they're all being purchased by out of state gun owners only... Note the sarcasm.
    If this part of SB281 was really that important, MSP and other government agencies would have to figure out how to prevent any non HBAR barrels from coming into the state.
    I equate this issue with the shouldering of an AR pistol. No one really cares or will enforce it.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    Where are the HBAR police when you need them? ;)
    Time for a reality check - Just like the 10 round mag law, this whole HBAR thing is unenforceable and was put into SB281 as a feel good clause rather than having any real effect on reducing perceived gun violence. The design of a barrel doesn't mean squat when it comes to how many rounds I can put down range at one time.
    You can go online and buy government profile/pencil barrels/complete uppers all day long and have them shipped to Maryland. Guys on this board in the classifieds sell non HBAR barrels/uppers. Gun shops in Maryland sell complete non HBAR uppers. Geez- I wonder what lowers these non compliant barrels might be ending up on? I'm sure they're all being purchased by out of state gun owners only... Note the sarcasm.
    If this part of SB281 was really that important, MSP and other government agencies would have to figure out how to prevent any non HBAR barrels from coming into the state.
    I equate this issue with the shouldering of an AR pistol. No one really cares or will enforce it.

As noted, but that's a BIG IF ???

Knowing that you don't have to go through an FFL for a Barrel, and the lower possesses the SN registered...and you only have to HBAR the 223/556 Caliber...your reasoning is partially correct...

But notably most people are Law Abiding Citizens even though its heretical...

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I am going to write Ruger and ask them where in Maryland this rifle would be available since 2 FFLS have already told me they would not sell it.

The original "Way to Go Ruger" title still applies but with a different twist.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It's like deja vu all over again!:lol:

I think, as others have said, you can do better in-state. But, if you're setting the record straight, good going.:thumbsup:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    ... this whole HBAR thing is unenforceable and was put into SB281 as a feel good clause rather than having any real effect on reducing perceived gun violence. ...

No, it goes back to the original Regulated Long Guns list, which was based on Feinstein's Assault Rifle list from c. 1989. (That list was put together by a couple Feinstein staffers who bought a Guns and Ammo Annual at a newstand, and listed all the rifles they thought looked scary. Seriously. No shit.)

Anyway, when the Maryland Legislature tried to adopt that list, Second Amendment advocates here got the HBAR exclusion put in to exempt target rifles used by 18 - 20 year olds shooting in competitions.

In those days, there were only a handful of AR rifles on the market. The AR15 Pencil Barrel and the CAR 15 Carbine were intended for shooting poodles, while the HBAR was intended for target shooting.

Meanwhile the purpose of SB281 was purely to make political points, not to actually reduce crime. They just wanted to pass something they could point to and say, "Look, we cracked down hard!" O"Malley in particular wanted to ride it to the White House.

Once the legislation has passed, the legislators have no further interest in it. But as for banning the importation of non-HBAR barrels, that would require entirely separate legislation.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Delmarva Law Enforcement Supply In Dagsboro, DE WILL sell these to a MD resident. Not saying it's legal or not, right or wrong, just sayin'. If you want one, they'll sell it to you.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    We have an answer from Ruger. Maryland is no longer mentioned.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
      Capture.jpg
      34.7 KB · Views: 309

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    if the manufacturer says its compliant with your state I would think it's compliant with your state. If it's not, and that 0.0000000000000001% chance presented itself in the future, the manufacturer should be on the hook for a refund ;)

Yep

As long as Ruger advertises it as legal, its legal.

That is how the stupid law FSA2013 works.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    As long as Ruger advertises it as legal, its legal.

That is how the stupid law FSA2013 works.
    That's definitely not how it works. The whole "if you label it an HBAR, it becomes an HBAR" thing is getting very overplayed around here. I've only heard of one FFL being told that, and I'm going to guess that stamping HBAR on a pencil barrel isn't really what they had in mind with that interpretation.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    That's definitely not how it works. The whole "if you label it an HBAR, it becomes an HBAR" thing is getting very overplayed around here. I've only heard of one FFL being told that, and I'm going to guess that stamping HBAR on a pencil barrel isn't really what they had in mind with that interpretation.

The MSP made that determination, nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom