Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Handguns

Notices

Old July 2nd, 2009, 10:07 PM #11

I shot a one of the sig mosquitos last week. I loved it. No problems at all. One of the guys there said he had purchased one of the Walther P22s and put a silencer on it. He said he wasnt really happy with the gun. Said it was jamming a lot with different types of ammo.

Ive never shot one of the Walthers, so I cant really comment to much.
DLiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 06:36 PM #12
Thank You NRA

Thank You NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDV View Post
I purchased a Mosquito just over a month ago, and the first time I took it to the range I had issues for the first 30 minutes. First issue showed up with the first round (as recommended I was using CCI Mini Mags), it wouldn't chamber... thinking the bullet was jacked up I proceeded to eject and chamber a second round; same issue. The round was sitting with the tip of the bullet pressed against the barrel but wouldn't chamber. I was thinking "WTF, this is a .22 right?". After dropping the magazine and inspecting closely, I noticed that there was a very fine metal sliver ring that was preventing the round from chambering. Now, I had cleaned it well prior to going to the range... including running a boresnake through it a few times. The metal ring looked copper in color, and was sort of sitting there so I grabbed my gerber and pulled it out. It almost looked like a metal ring that came off of the first round??? weird. So then I, started over. Now with a round chambered I pulled the trigger, nothing. Ejected that round and looked at it to see if it had an impression on the rim... nope. Try again, nope... thinking WTF again I started to get frustrated. So taking a time out and thinking about things before I became lazy and did something stupid, I disassembled it and inspected as much as I could. Nothing stood out as odd to me, so I assembled it and tried again. This time when I pulled the trigger, it fired. After a few fail to feeds within the first couple magazines, it began to work flawless. I'm not sure what was going on in the beginning, but I haven't had any other issues with about 200 rounds through it. I can say that after about 30 minutes of WTF, I am now very pleased with it. I still don't know what the metal circular sliver was...
I don't know what was happening there? I took mine out of the box, cleaned it, and went to the range. I did have a problem with the first clip of .22 rounds, but that was my own fault (maybe the ring came from inside one of the clips?). I found the .22 rounds had better be 36 grain or better just to make the slide work like it should. It you use lower grain ammo (like I did unknowingly) the slide wont work, and I had to actually grab the slide and pull it back to load another round after each shot.

Once I realised what my dumb ass did, the gun was perfecto. Another issue from what I have heard about are the plastic mags that either become warped due to heat or were already that way will mis-feed ammo where the shooter will think it's the guns fault. When it isn't the gun causing the problem.

Personally I loved the balance and the weight of the Skeeter compaired to the Walther P22, but as with everything else, it's the shooter who feels what they like, not me. As for both little guns, they are flat accurate and fun to shoot. Now that .22 Mini Mags are becoming more available, it's getting to be fun again.

(Proverbs 29:18 KJV)
saltydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 01:43 AM #13

I've been reading a lot of problems about the Mosquito, but it's good to see that people are having fun with them.

I shot the P22 and loved it. However, I can't help but to shoot a Ruger first before I take the plunge and buy a .22 pistol. Though it doesn't look nearly as nice as a P22, the all-metal construction of the Ruger leads me to think it will last a lot longer.
ewarfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2009, 07:43 PM #14
New MK12 Mod 0 Fan

Send a message via Yahoo to gunrunner
New MK12 Mod 0 Fan

What do you guys think of mine. I wanted to improve the sight picture as much as i could.

NRA Member
Maryland Designated Collector

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________
"Colts and Kimbers are what you show your friends. Glocks and Berettas are what you show your enemies."
Old July 19th, 2009, 07:47 PM #15
R.I.P.

R.I.P.

Ah, cool, I also have the reverse two tone. I didn't want it but I got a deal on the gun so I took it. It has grown on me and I think it's the best look now.

Does the scope get in the way of the sights? I assums it does. Just curious.

Splitter

Splitter
Splitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2009, 07:50 PM #16
New MK12 Mod 0 Fan

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter View Post

Does the scope get in the way of the sights? I assums it does. Just curious.

Splitter

Splitter
No it doesn't. The sig bridge mount takes that into account and they have left a notch out in the mount to leave the irons open and visible.

NRA Member

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________
"Colts and Kimbers are what you show your friends. Glocks and Berettas are what you show your enemies."
Old July 19th, 2009, 11:36 PM #17

I just got a used Walther P22.... It has worked flawlessly for about 300 rounds.

I like it because it is fun to shoot and cheap. Accurate and reliable.
I also just got done helping to teach the Basic Pistol class at Cresap this past weekend to 24 women. It was by far the favorite .22 we had. The ladies like it because it was easy to operate, fit well, and was light.

With all that being said I have never directly compared it to a sig.

Just my 2 cents.

Thoughts on Gun Control by - Stefan Molyneux

There is no such thing as gun control. There is only centralizing gun ownership in the hands of a small, political elite and their minions. Are you okay with that? I'm not.
Topher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 11:22 AM #18
AR15Dave

AR15Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunrunner View Post
What do you guys think of mine. I wanted to improve the sight picture as much as i could.
What kind of mount is that? Where did you get it?

I am trying to get a Mosquito with a threaded barrel for my silencer.

Dave

Last edited by ar15dave; July 23rd, 2009 at 11:22 AM. Reason: misspelled word.
ar15dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 02:45 PM #19

Bought a Mosquito about 4 months ago so my wife and I could shoot together. I have a Sig29 , 40 cal and she would not even consider firing it. She has shot the Mosquito about 400 times and I guess, I have put a couple hundred rounds thru it. The first day and the first clip, I had a couple f/f and f/L's , but since then , it's been just about flawless. Fun gun, accurate and a lot less expensive then the 40. For $300 ....how can you go wrong?
Capt Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 08:36 PM #20
New MK12 Mod 0 Fan

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15dave View Post
What kind of mount is that? Where did you get it?

I am trying to get a Mosquito with a threaded barrel for my silencer.

Dave
I got the mount from tannermans in martinsburg WV. Its the sig bridge mount. They make it specifically for the mosquito. When i bought mine there were 3 left on the shelf. $50.00 ea.

NRA Member

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Handguns