• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MicheleM

Feb 13, 2013
    Cecil County
    I'm adding my thanks for this post, too. There were lots of things that I didn't know about concerning range etiquette and safety.

The mall ninja...:lol2:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I was tempted to start a new thread called "Before your first trip to the handgun range" or something to attract new shooters. But decided to put it here. Maybe you could put this video in your initial post, because it's unlikely a new shooter will read this entire thread and find this video.

This is the best 'first video' I think all new handgun shooters should watch before they go.

Col. Longshot

Mar 7, 2013
    carroll county
    Great thread. As a working NRA Cert. RSO I can tell you that we are seeing a lot of new gun owners who need to read this thread. By far the 2 rules broken most often are muzzle control and handling during a cease fire. both are dangerous to other shooters. Be aware out there.

Parshooter

Silent Majority Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    East NC
    Superb information, thank you! Prints out to 7 pages if you didn't know;)
    I have been engaging my wife for over a year to learn to handle the firearms in our home, and just last night was the first time I was able to get her to put one in her hands. I recently purchased a Laserlyte target and laser "bullet". Now it's finally fun to hold a gun:innocent0 Suddenly, the questions began to pour out:party29: This guide will help tremendously toward a good education in gun safety and her first range visit. Hope it doesn't take me another year!

Fess Parkerized

Feb 27, 2013
    Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the post!

Great post and worthy of a sticky.

Speaking of "veteran shooters..."

I had occasion to be around a great friend of mine who's been around firearms practically all of his life. At some point during the day he, very accidentally, pointed a loaded firearm directly at me. Of course I flipped out, both in fear and anger, and then was told that because the safety was on and his finger was off of the trigger that there was "no way" the gun would fire.

I had a somewhat similar thing happen to me the day that I was checking in my shotguns at the armory at my first Air Force duty assignment. I was kneeling to get the serial numbers off the guns and a smart*ss SP pointed his gun at me and made a joke to the other SP that was working. :shocked4: :shocked4: I guess I looked like a new recruit and he wanted to show off. He didn't know I was an officer or he wouldn't have done it. Other guy's eyes got real big (I suppose mine did, too). I should have said something, but I was too new and unsure of myself to do so.

Attachments

• Signature Wings 3.bmp
      114.1 KB · Views: 738

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    2. Most ranges in Maryland do not permit full auto.

4. Some ranges prohibit rapid fire or have a "one shot per second" or similar rule in place

6. Some ranges do not permit targets with images representing a person.

8. Some ranges have a "3 rounds max in a magazine at a time" or similar rule.

these are ridiculous and I would boycott any range that enforced these rules.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    To the OP, great post and worthy of having EVERYONE read...range veterans and/or NEWBs.

The only thing I'd like to add is the use of empty chamber indicators/flags.

As a general rule of "etiquette" I always use these when making my weapon safe on the firing line. It's a quick way for the RSO and other shooters to ensure everything is safe and good to go. It speeds up the time to call the range cold (and subsequently speeds up the transition to go hot again).

I always appreciate it when I see others using them too, as I much prefer going downrange with the warm and fuzzies than with a little doubt in the back of my mind...

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    2. Most ranges in Maryland do not permit full auto.

4. Some ranges prohibit rapid fire or have a "one shot per second" or similar rule in place

6. Some ranges do not permit targets with images representing a person.

8. Some ranges have a "3 rounds max in a magazine at a time" or similar rule.

these are ridiculous and I would boycott any range that enforced these rules.

Clearly a trolling comment, but i'll bite.

Each range sets their SOP according to many factors, most frequently relating to the safety of range patrons and neighbors, as well as protection of the range itself. Items 2 & 4 above are related to all of these things, and actually not the least bit ridiculous. I can't speak to items 6 & 8, but I would respect the regs as each range organization certainly has the prerogative to do what's best for them.

I also don't think any range is going to go out of business, or even feel the absence of someone who thinks their regs are ridiculous, and would undoubtedly prefer that person not visit their range to start with.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    Clearly a trolling comment, but i'll bite.

Each range sets their SOP according to many factors, most frequently relating to the safety of range patrons and neighbors, as well as protection of the range itself. Items 2 & 4 above are related to all of these things, and actually not the least bit ridiculous. I can't speak to items 6 & 8, but I would respect the regs as each range organization certainly has the prerogative to do what's best for them.

I also don't think any range is going to go out of business, or even feel the absence of someone who thinks their regs are ridiculous, and would undoubtedly prefer that person not visit their range to start with.

I totally agree that every range can set its own rules as it sees fit. But my business is selective, If you won't allow "rapid fire" for fear of loosing a cable or clips or etc, then i will find a range that does. {I prefer outdoor ranges anyway} If someone is not handling thier weapons safely and is unable to properly control thier recoil, the RSO should use his/her discretion to tell them to slow down, or to pull them from the range. Also, use of a credit card could allow a refundable deposit for each new shooter [similar to how hotels do it] to ensure that any damages would be covered. At the prices many ranges charge, I should be allowed to fire my weapon in a safe, yet satisfying, manner, without a range Nazi telling me I have to wait a second between shots, which is ridiculous, like a speed limit on a racetrack.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    #4 is not a requirement for safety or procection of facilities. Requirements to maintain control of firearm , or for all rounds to impact the backstop in a certain manner would be effective and logical.

I get that they want to avoid uncontrolled mag dumps. And for my own preferences and wallet there is little point to burning rounds just to hear the noise. But arbitrary speed limits prevent practicing for various Qualification , working on skills for IDPA/ IPSC/ PPC/ SASS/ etc , as well as practicing actual defensive skills.

* If the rounds are hitting the target , it's not reckless or dangerous *

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    I totally agree that every range can set its own rules as it sees fit. But my business is selective, If you won't allow "rapid fire" for fear of loosing a cable or clips or etc, then i will find a range that does. {I prefer outdoor ranges anyway} ......without a range Nazi telling me I have to wait a second between shots, which is ridiculous, like a speed limit on a racetrack.

#4 is not a requirement for safety or procection of facilities. Requirements to maintain control of firearm , or for all rounds to impact the backstop in a certain manner would be effective and logical.

I get that they want to avoid uncontrolled mag dumps. And for my own preferences and wallet there is little point to burning rounds just to hear the noise. But arbitrary speed limits prevent practicing for various Qualification , working on skills for IDPA/ IPSC/ PPC/ SASS/ etc , as well as practicing actual defensive skills.

* If the rounds are hitting the target , it's not reckless or dangerous *

A range is not a racetrack. If you want to play the analogy game, a range would be more like a driving course, where each course is allowed to set their own speed limit & your notions as to whether that limit is arbitrary are irrelevant unless you're willing to join that organization & work from within to make the changes you desire, or buy your own land & build your own driving course. Otherwise, find one that offers that capability & go have fun. But to denigrate ranges with more restrictive SOP's & limits as "nazi" & idiotic & that they should be boycotted is, well, idiotic.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    The rule at the AGC is you can shoot as fast as you want as long as all your shots hit the impact berm. This is reasonable, it ensures safety and allows you to have fun according to your abilities.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    should be boycotted

I said I would boycott, not that everyone should. If that type of range works for you, then great. But I won't go there, just my opinion. If you spend thousands of dollars on semi autos, then have someone tell you your rate of fire, it seems ridiculous. I respect safety, if what you are doing is safe, then it should be allowed. If one range won't allow it, then I will go to the range that does.

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    I said I would boycott, not that everyone should. If that type of range works for you, then great. But I won't go there, just my opinion. If you spend thousands of dollars on semi autos, then have someone tell you your rate of fire, it seems ridiculous. I respect safety, if what you are doing is safe, then it should be allowed. If one range won't allow it, then I will go to the range that does.

I feel the same way. I have a hard time enjoying myself when I'm counting the seconds between my shots. BANG...1...2...3...BANG...1...2...3 etc. Ranges can have whatever rules they want of course, that's up to them, but if I have the choice between a needlessly restrictive range and a range with less restrictions I'll pick the one with less restrictions every time. Not that I'm being unsafe, it's just a much nicer atmosphere that is more conducive to enjoyment. It's a whole lot less stressful. Luckily I'm in a pretty not restrictive club and I only shoot at times when I know no one else is there. My dream is to have a personal range on my own property though.

ArneJ

Feb 16, 2012
    Bel Air
    Good stuff!

One thing that happens too much nowadays, especially when an outdoor range is full of AR's & AK's (seems like most days) is the guy sitting way back on the bench so that his flash suppressor is about even with the guy at the next bench's body. Has happened to me too often lately. I stop and chat with them to explain why the benches have cutouts for shooting and that it is a safety issue to have their muzzle so far back.

All the flash suppressor'd guns also make it tough to try to shoot tight groups to test out new loads when getting hammered by muzzle blast on one or both sides. Not that I don't shoot AR's, but I try to catch my brass and not blast away when the person next to me is trying to do precision shooting.

jackpollard

Dec 26, 2013
    Outside Union Bridge, MD.
    Great read, thank you for it. I've not been to the Carroll County range for at least 7 or 8 years, but when went I would always go over the rules in my head as I was driving to the range. I would always try and think before I took any action with my weapon. For someone who has not been to a range in a while, like me, its an excellent review.

Wally

Feb 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Great post!

Thanks, hole punch. As to whether or not the newbies will read the whole post... I did. Every word.
    It's been more than 15 years since my last visit to a shooting range. I had the benefit of having a friend who was experienced, safety conscious, and a good teacher, to boot.

I have to admit, though - I never thought to consider watching which way the brass is going! :sad20:

jabberwalkie

May 25, 2014
    Great post!!!! Have seen many new folks, including myself, make mistakes and have endangered others. With rental firearms at some ranges, I would like to see something in their range rules about knowing what caliber firearm you can handle. The 90 lbs girl who never had shot before doesn't need the biggest handgun the range offers.

1874sharpsshooter

Feb 1, 2009
    cape coral, florida
    for those of you who complain about this rule or that rule and say you don't understand why. I will once again make my offer.
    you are invited to shadow any one of my range officers at hap baker ( or any other public range for that matter) for a busy weekend to see what its like, ( leave your gun at home ). you will see that we don't sit around and make up rules. WE ONLY REACT TO THE WAY, YOU, THE PUBLIC BEHAVES.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom