Look What I Found Way in the Back of the Safe!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I picked up this little Mauser somewhen around 1989, and I've never even fired it! I'd been thinking maybe I should sell it, and when someone in another thread asked about available Mausers, I posted this:

I have a Czech- made (CZ) Brazilian Model 08/34 Short Rifle, caliber 7mm Mauser.

It is basically identical to this one:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=286181303

Except made in Czechoslovakia (very good!), and 7mm (great cartridge).

Mine also has a refinished stock, maybe a little rougher than the one on Gunbroker. Still has the inked "B" cartouche on the butt, though. I think there's a small crack in the handguard.

Mine has no import marks. I think the bore is better than the one described on Gunbroker.

I've had this slick little Mauser for over 20 years, and I have never fired it. It just sits in the dark, way back in the safe, lonely and neglected.

I keep meaning to take it to the range, just to try it out. I have 40 rounds of good commercial ammo, but somehow... I've never fired it.

Then I think, I really should sell it. But this little rifle is really graceful and slick. I really hate to part with it. So I keep telling myself, "Self, take it to the range, see how it shoots, then sell it." But I'm always shooting my one Garand, and I really need to work with my other Garand. And I need to work with the Remington 03-A3, and then the Smith-Corona. With such a long waiting list, I never seem to shoot my Swedish Mauser...

So the slick little Brazilian just sits in the dark, and waits...

I dunno, I really should sell it, but I am still reluctant.

Say Mawkie, if you're reading this... what range of value for a Czech-made 7mm M 08/34 Short Rifle, no import marks, but a refinished stock?

Attachments

• Brazilian Mauser 053.jpg
      Brazilian Mauser 053.jpg
      60.3 KB · Views: 607
    • Brazilian Mauser 054.jpg
      Brazilian Mauser 054.jpg
      52.2 KB · Views: 553
    • Brazilian Mauser 055.jpg
      Brazilian Mauser 055.jpg
      61.9 KB · Views: 548
    • Brazilian Mauser 056.jpg
      Brazilian Mauser 056.jpg
      72.6 KB · Views: 542
    • Brazilian Mauser 057.jpg
      Brazilian Mauser 057.jpg
      45.8 KB · Views: 538
    • Brazilian Mauser 058.jpg
      Brazilian Mauser 058.jpg
      59.6 KB · Views: 544
    • Brazilian Mauser 059.jpg
      Brazilian Mauser 059.jpg
      39.2 KB · Views: 547
    • Brazilian Mauser 060.jpg
      Brazilian Mauser 060.jpg
      71.1 KB · Views: 542
    • Brazilian Mauser 062.jpg
      Brazilian Mauser 062.jpg
      49.5 KB · Views: 537

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Nice! Agree that 7mm is such an under-rated cartridge. My only rifle chambered for it, a Vennie FN49, is a tack driver. Love shooting that round!

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Just curious, as the only Mauser I have is in .308, and haven't shot it. How does shooting a mauser (7mm OR 8mm) compare to the Mosin, since that's mainly what I shoot? As far as recoil, general accuracy (I know it's extremely selective to each particular rifle and condition), cost of ammo, and reliability? I have been considering eventually getting a Yugo mauser, 24 or 48, then in the far futre a semi auto 8mm maybe. Just curious as to how the mausers compare to mosins aside from the mosins cruder design and build quality.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Just curious, as the only Mauser I have is in .308, and haven't shot it. How does shooting a mauser (7mm OR 8mm) compare to the Mosin, since that's mainly what I shoot? As far as recoil, general accuracy (I know it's extremely selective to each particular rifle and condition), cost of ammo, and reliability? I have been considering eventually getting a Yugo mauser, 24 or 48, then in the far futre a semi auto 8mm maybe. Just curious as to how the mausers compare to mosins aside from the mosins cruder design and build quality.

blasphemy!

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.

Put them all in a bag, shake em up, pick one. They're close in power and recoil, some more accurate than the other. 308 getting the nod. The Mauser is INFINITELY better designed over the Russkie, some may disagree but it is what it is,

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I think Id rather the German 7mm over the 8! Given my druthers I think Id like the Model 1908 Brazilian Rifle. :thumbsup:

I've been thinking the Second Reich made a mistake adopting the 8mm round (I guess it was chosen by the Committee). The 7mm is a great round.

This little rifle is so graceful and neat. It seems smaller than it actually is, sort of like a 1917 Clunker-Enfield feels bigger than it really is.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Put them all in a bag, shake em up, pick one. They're close in power and recoil, some more accurate than the other. 308 getting the nod. The Mauser is INFINITELY better designed over the Russkie, some may disagree but it is what it is,

Agree, though I'll narrow it down further; the '98 Mauser of German, Czech, or FN manufacture.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I've been thinking the Second Reich made a mistake adopting the 8mm round (I guess it was chosen by the Committee). The 7mm is a great round.

This little rifle is so graceful and neat. It seems smaller than it actually is, sort of like a 1917 Clunker-Enfield feels bigger than it really is.

Agreed. never figured out why they went with the 8. 7mm is a GREAT caliber bullet, nowadays even though I own almost exclusively 06's a 7mm/08 is a sweetheart.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The Committee that produced the Commission Rifle of 1888 were reacting to the terrifying new 8mm rifle produced by the French. So das Deutsche Reich got stuck with 8mm several years before Oberndorf introduced the 7mm. At least the Committee had the sense to adopt a rimless cartridge.

Sirex, as for how the Mauser compares to the Mosin...

...well, notice how many great sporting rifles are based on the 98 Mauser.

Now list all the great sporting rifles based on the Mosin...

hmmmmmmmm.

Nice gun, and not so bad now that PRVI is making runs of 7mm reasonably.

Sag mal darueber! I dig this thing out, thinking to clear up some clutter and maybe add to the "New Garand Fund"... I get it out in the good light, and it's beautiful! Then I find Prvi's making ammo almost as cheap as the .30-06 from the CMP.

I just might put some Mojo sights on this thing.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    The Committee that produced the Commission Rifle of 1888 were reacting to the terrifying new 8mm rifle produced by the French. So das Deutsche Reich got stuck with 8mm several years before Oberndorf introduced the 7mm. At least the Committee had the sense to adopt a rimless cartridge.

Sirex, as for how the Mauser compares to the Mosin...

...well, notice how many great sporting rifles are based on the 98 Mauser.

Now list all the great sporting rifles based on the Mosin...

hmmmmmmmm.

Tada! :thumbsup:

Different strokes for different folks. Some people collect 68 Chargers while others collect 1970 Gremlins. :lol2::facepalm::rofl: :shrug: Know what I mean Vern?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I can't afford a Charger. Hell, probably not a Gremlin.

Get one of those Yugo Mausers you mentioned before getting another Mosin. If you can hand pick one for a good bore, it might be the thing to grab while they're still affordable.

Only thing is, the authentic sights suck. Even worse than Mosin sights (if you can believe that!). Considering the Germans literally invented the rifle, I have to wonder, what the hell were they thinking?

You'll see what I mean when you try out authentic Mauser sights.

Fortunately, Mojo sights are available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom