• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    In over 25 years I've only experienced 2 broken .303B cases when shooting my Enfields. After the first time I bought a broken case extractor and put it in my range box. We needed it today. It took me longer to dig the tool out of my gear than it did to pull the broken case out of the chamber.

If you shoot Enfields, this is a great little tool to have handy in your range box.

:thumbsup:

Attachments

• DSC06531 SNIP.jpg
      DSC06531 SNIP.jpg
      90.7 KB · Views: 285

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Incipient Case-Head Separation

As a follow up to the nice tool, here's a reminder: Always inspect your cases!

We all know case life is not infinite. The "generous" chambers of Enfield rifles is well known. And the concept applies to all firearms: Repeated firing followed by full length sizing works the brass very hard.

The case that separated today had been reloaded twice. This was its fourth firing. There were no noticed signs of incipient case-head separation when it was last reloaded. But sometimes the signs are subtle. Always be looking for the signs.

Some rifles (like my No.4 MK 2) have gas relief holes to dissipate chamber pressure in the event of a case failure. But not all guns do. Know well the guns you shoot.

There is much info available to become educated on incipient case-head failures. This link is merely one source:
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...se-head-separation-how-to-detect-the-problem/

After tumbling the batch of cases fired today there are clear signs that some will not be reloaded. In the pic below the case on the left shows obvious signs it's headed for the brass recycling bucket.

Shoot safely, reload safely and stay safe folks!

:thumbsup:

Attachments

• 303B insipient Head Separation Capture.jpg
      303B insipient Head Separation Capture.jpg
      34 KB · Views: 280

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Were you shooting reduced loads when this happened by any chance?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Full length resizing is not the issue.

Over sizing is. You should not size the brass for more than a couple of thousandths of shoulder bump for bolt action rifles.

If you have multi rifles, you will need to size to the smallest chamber, but accept shorted case life. Or reload separately for each rifle.

4570inMD

Western MD Hooligan #007
    Jan 26, 2011
    West Virginia
    ...Some rifles (like my No.4 MK 2) have gas relief holes to dissipate chamber pressure in the event of a case failure. But not all guns do....

Being the shooter that pulled the trigger on this case-separation, I am very pleased with the two hole, pressure-relief design on that Enfield. It worked perfectly; I wish more rifles had that feature.

4570inMD

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Were you shooting reduced loads when this happened by any chance?

Nope. The loads were mid-range standard loads.

Full length resizing is not the issue.

Over sizing is. You should not size the brass for more than a couple of thousandths of shoulder bump for bolt action rifles.

If you have multi rifles, you will need to size to the smallest chamber, but accept shorted case life. Or reload separately for each rifle.

True to a point. Full length sizing (i.e. running the case entirely into the sizing die) will bring the web area back into spec, but will also work the brass in that area. That is typically where case-head failures occur. As I said, Enfields are notorious for generous chambers. Case-head separations can and do happen.

One of the best ways to extend case life for bolt rifles is to neck size fire formed cases and dedicate the rounds to a specific rifle which should also improve accuracy.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Being the shooter that pulled the trigger on this case-separation, I am very pleased with the two hole, pressure-relief design on that Enfield. It worked perfectly; I wish more rifles had that feature.

4570inMD

No question the design worked as intended. Just like the potential issue was planned for ahead of time. :thumbsup:

It was interesting that you and I talked about exactly what those holes are for before firing the sequence of shots. The shot was the second in the sequence we were clocking on your Lab Radar. I'm curious what the muzzle velocity of that shot was compared to the first.

4570inMD

Western MD Hooligan #007
    Jan 26, 2011
    West Virginia
    ...The shot was the second in the sequence we were clocking on your Lab Radar. I'm curious what the muzzle velocity of that shot was compared to the first.

Shot V0
    1 2426 fps
    2 2416
    3 2456
    4 2419​

It appears the case damage occurred after the bullet sped away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom