• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sunir

Jul 10, 2013
    Having field stripped, cleaned and lubed my CZ82 I took it to the range for the first time yesterday. Used PPU, brass cased FMJ regular ammo. The pistol was dead on accurate, 1" groups on bulls eye at 20 yards. The polygonal bore seemed to work well, this pistol overall appears to be in nice condition, almost all the original finish remaining, when I took it apart to clean/inspect before the range trip everything looked fine, slide moved smoothly/nicely etc.

So now to the issue...

Several times I had failure to feed. The round would fire, eject the casing fine, then the slide would come back and not pick up the next round, it would come back and get stuck with the round still in the mag while trying feed the next round into the chamber, like it's getting hung up on something. Then I'd have to manually pull back the slide and rack it to get the slide to pick up the round and feed it, which it then did.

I asked one of the guys at my range he said be careful not to accidentally touch the slide with my weak hand thumb to slow the slide's speed, he came out and fired 4 rounds and it seemed okay, I got back to it and consciously minded my grip and the issue kept on. Another guy said it may be the feed ramp that it's getting hung up on which I thought it could be but the ramp seemed fine (I just cleaned the pistol before I got there), or maybe the magazine (it came with 2 original mags which don't appear to have any issues, had the same thing happen with both mags)...

Any ideas? Is it me am I doing something wrong as a shooter? Is it the feed ramp or something with the pistol? Do I need to take it to a gunsmith if so any recommendations on which one?

thanks for your help and feedback, I really like shooting this gun, it's super accurate and feels great in the hands. I just want it to function as great as it shoots so I can enjoy taking it to the range :)

Sunir

Jul 10, 2013
    Close to 100 views and not a single reply? There's gotta be more CZ 82 guys out there? :)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm just guessing , but you already included a lot of possable causes/ solutions in your first post , and there's not much we can add without either seeing the actual gun having a malfunction , or watching you shoot it and/ or shoot it ourselves for comparison purposes.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    is your slide catch popping up? an improperly placed shepherds crook spring would cause that. Common problem after disassembly.

Sunir

Jul 10, 2013
    ^^^ the plastic grips were loose about 1/2 turn so that might be it, I got home and tightened them but haven't tried it since. My grip was the same as any other pistol not sure if I was limp wristing it, was my first time shooting it so dunno if it needs a firmer grip than other pistols perhaps.

mags seem okay, the feed lips aren't damaged or anything, the mag spring seems normal...

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    next time it jams, stop and check to see what is holding back the slide. Check your slide lock, magazine, and ammo. also check your slide rail, hammer, and slide for burrs. Also ensure proper lubrication.

OH IT'S KINO

Southerner
    Feb 16, 2011
    Ameritopia
    It's hard to tell without being there to see first hand... and even then it's still hard. My first two immediate thoughts are:

1) You could be limp-wristing. Some guns are more susceptible to it than others, so just because you don't have a problem with it on some firearms doesn't mean that it can't be the issue here.

2) Could just be a magazine issue. This is the problem with handgun malfunctions a majority of the time.

Sunir

Jul 10, 2013
    UPDATE 3//24/14: Went to the range today with 2 MDS members Melnic and smdub who were kind enough to observe and give me their thoughts on my CZ82. Within 5 hot rounds down range we were able to find what we think is the true culprit. A missing or broken slide stop spring (part #42).

The slide got hung up on the slide stop which was basically moving freely, smdub observed this as I shot and the failure to feed malfunction presented itself, then once cleared we saw that tension-less slide stop. When Melnic shot it we were able to confirm as the malfunction was duplicated and then we compared with the 2 other CZ82 we had there. Sure enough the slide stop spring was non-existent in mine and theirs had plenty of tension on the stop so it wouldn't fling up and catch the slide on reciprocation as it wants to feed next live round.

So now onto fixing it. looks like it's a $7 part online, got a link from melnic. now how to install if it's a simple job and no special tools needed I may try it myself, otherwise I would have to take it to a gunsmith. Anyone know any smiths who work with these CZ pistols a lot?

thanks again guys...this forum is awesome! I look forward to enjoying my CZ82 and being one of you guys that raves about this pistol, already love the way it shoots and the way it feels, now once the slide stop spring is replaced can't wait to take 'er back out the range!

brentb636

Nov 16, 2013
    Holland, Mi
    I'd say change to a stronger recoil spring. You can get spring kits from Wolff springs, and they have worked well for me. Until you have some recoil spring options, you'll never know whether that cheap solution is the correct one. I have tuned several handguns ( FEG SMC-380, PA-63. CZ-82, PMK-380) using Wolff spring kits. In each case, I found an optimal solution. Springs , lubrication, smoothing slides and friction surfaces is what it's all about. Not rocket science.
    Brent

Sunir

Jul 10, 2013
    I'd say change to a stronger recoil spring. You can get spring kits from Wolff springs, and they have worked well for me. Until you have some recoil spring options, you'll never know whether that cheap solution is the correct one. I have tuned several handguns ( FEG SMC-380, PA-63. CZ-82, PMK-380) using Wolff spring kits. In each case, I found an optimal solution. Springs , lubrication, smoothing slides and friction surfaces is what it's all about. Not rocket science.
    Brent

Looks like the slide stop spring is the culprit, I don't know how changing a recoil spring change would fix that? I wish it was the recoil spring that's a snap to change apparently the slide stop spring change is much harder.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    your slide stop/ lock uses a shepherds crook type spring [looks like a small sickle with a long handle] which goes through the small hole in the slide stop and locks onto a notch in one of the pins inside the frame. It is a PITA to put in, but you will know when you have it right due to the pressure you will feel on the slide lock.

Sunir

Jul 10, 2013
    It is a PITA to put in,
    Yes, this is the what I am worried about, concerned I may break, lose, or mess something up. I've only field stripped my firearms for cleaning at this point, so this is something advanced for me. I can try looking around for YouTube videos, or maybe a someone here can show me if they've done this process in the last, than there is always the gunsmith route.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Just my opinion, and I don't know what your goals are with your firearm hobby, but do it yourself even if it means ordering a spare spring or pin in case you break one.

You can find good videos on the process, even get someone from here to help. But you have to dive in to learn how to do this stuff (if you want to, I mean).

You make mistakes, but that's how you learn. I don't think this project has much of a risk to damage the gun beyond small parts replacement. Its very rewarding to fix a gun yourself, learn how to take it apart and replace parts, etc. The first time after you fix it yourself, then go to the range and fire it without issue, its a great feeling.

I knew absolutely zero about guns just three years ago, and now I've built and hand-fit two 1911s from piles of parts, fixed broken guns for friends, etc. Its suddenly become my biggest passion and its hugely rewarding for me.

You may not have the desire to work on your own guns, but neither did I until I went and fired my 1911 that was only a box-o-parts a couple months before...

Good luck!!

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    toolness has a point, the first time I took my cz82 down to bare frame, it took me three days to put back together right. I honestly considered buying a second one. I kept at it and got it right. Get your part and keep working at it. don't force anything and you will be just fine.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    There are two things it might be- first and easiest is that the springs in the magazine are easy to put in backwards. It kind of seems like they fit the follower that way, and if you don't pay attention they are easy to put in backwards so that the tension pushes the rear of the round instead of the front up and this will cause what you are experiencing.

The second is someone putting the gun back together wrong regarding the slide catch/release spring.

It could also be loose grips, but I am dubious of this since I've fired mine without the grips on and it worked perfectly. I was going through a phase where I wanted super thin guns, and so to minimize printing I first bought a second pair of grips and sanded them down, and then built custom ones out of micarta, then managed to make a fiberglass clamshell that basically mimicked the feel of the gun without grips on, while covering the mag well on each side and giving some tack to hold onto on each side. The grips are only about 2mm thick and feel really 'organic'

I gotta dig those out.

Point was, the gun fired great without the grips on, and even with the wonky home made ones on, and even with the wonky ones on WITHOUT AN EXTRACTOR IN THE GUN!!

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Yes, this is the what I am worried about, concerned I may break, lose, or mess something up. I've only field stripped my firearms for cleaning at this point, so this is something advanced for me. I can try looking around for YouTube videos, or maybe a someone here can show me if they've done this process in the last, than there is always the gunsmith route.

http://sailorcurt.com has some great video on gunsmithing a CZ-82 but it look like there some problems with his web site. I found his video and text directions were the best to be found on the internet.

http://sailorcurt.com/2009/01/cz-82-gunsmithing-part-13.html/

Checkup the http://www.czforum.com it has some good info and links.

Alot of CZ-82 owners on MDShooter do a search here :)

Sunir

Jul 10, 2013
    http://sailorcurt.com has some great video on gunsmithing a CZ-82 but it look like there some problems with his web site. I found his video and text directions were the best to be found on the internet.

http://sailorcurt.com/2009/01/cz-82-gunsmithing-part-13.html/

Checkup the http://www.czforum.com it has some good info and links.

Alot of CZ-82 owners on MDShooter do a search here :)

I clicked on the link and went to the lesson where it talks about slide stop and slide stop spring and it gave me an access denied or limited or something message and didn't take me to the information. ugh! :(

Sunir

Jul 10, 2013
    There are two things it might be- first and easiest is that the springs in the magazine are easy to put in backwards. It kind of seems like they fit the follower that way, and if you don't pay attention they are easy to put in backwards so that the tension pushes the rear of the round instead of the front up and this will cause what you are experiencing.

The second is someone putting the gun back together wrong regarding the slide catch/release spring.

It could also be loose grips, but I am dubious of this since I've fired mine without the grips on and it worked perfectly. I was going through a phase where I wanted super thin guns, and so to minimize printing I first bought a second pair of grips and sanded them down, and then built custom ones out of micarta, then managed to make a fiberglass clamshell that basically mimicked the feel of the gun without grips on, while covering the mag well on each side and giving some tack to hold onto on each side. The grips are only about 2mm thick and feel really 'organic'

I gotta dig those out.

Point was, the gun fired great without the grips on, and even with the wonky home made ones on, and even with the wonky ones on WITHOUT AN EXTRACTOR IN THE GUN!!

I checked the grips, tightened them and brought a screwdriver w me in case the worked loose., the were nice and tight didn't come loose at all. We tried both my mags and Melnic's mags same outcome. smdub and Melnic saw the slide stop holding back the slide on a non-empty mag after a consecutive fire creating the malfunction, to clear it...once manually racked the slide pulled back a bit that slide stop would fall and the slide was able to chamber the next round fine.

Then we compared my slide stop to the other 2 guns we had there, both of theirs. Their guns had tension holding the slide stop, fine was flopping around tensionless.

Hypothesis: as slide goes backwards force of the motion of the gun make the slide stop come up without tension to hold it down, as the slide comes forward the stop catches it.

Solution: install slide stop spring with appears to be missing altogether or broken...then take back to the range for testing with 50 - 100 rounds of Makarov ammo and re-evaluate.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I'm sure you guys are right about the slide stop spring. That's the exact thing that was happening with the PA63, and when I broke it down, turns out the guy I bought it from had lost the spring while cleaning it.

I think the spring is similar on a CZ82... Except the only thing holding the slide stop in the PA63 is tension I believe

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom