View Single Post
Old October 10th, 2018, 11:38 AM #7
C&R Wisperer

C&R Wisperer

From all accounts it's not hard on the shoulder, much like a Swede M96. It's a shame little else was chambered for 6mm Navy, just a handful of Winchester High Walls. So there wasn't enough demand for ammo to keep it in production.
It's a cool gun to cycle. Found that you don't want to baby it, give it a good hard pull and push. Works best that way. The floating extractor is annoying as heck. I can see why the Marines weren't fond of it when it came time to clean it. I know that the design is a bit wonky with the extractor doing double duty aiding in feeding rounds.
The ammo clip was the first ever used by the US military and worked pretty well. It wasn't integral to the function of the gun so you could still single load it which was a feature the Marines insisted on. Believe they had some issues with consistency of the tension of the clip spring but had it stayed in service longer I'm sure that would have been addressed as all the other items had been over the roughly 7-8 yr run. The Marines loved the lighter weight of the 6mm round, giving them the ability to take more ammo into the field.
Winchester Collectors website has a very good article on the Winchester Lee Navy that draws heavily from Gene Myskowski's reference book.