View Single Post
Old October 10th, 2018, 12:00 AM #5
C&R Wisperer

C&R Wisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doco Overboard View Post
The Navy Luger piggy bank is taking some hard hits! Very nice rifle, somewhere I seen some ammo for one of those. Ill try to get a heads up for where I ran across it.
-Winchester stopped producing .236 USN ammo in the '30s so what's out there that's original is collector ammo. You can take .220 Swift brass and expand the neck, reduce the rim, deepen the extractor cut to get to .236 USN. I might be wrong but seem to remember that .220 Swift started life from the .236 USN so it's natural to start there. Think Buffalo Arms makes it for around $3 a round (!). But like .280 Ross it ain't cheap to shoot, ammo or dies.
-Yeah, I was better than 2/3rds of the way to the minimum $3.5k needed to play in the Navy Luger arena when I saw this Winchester and a Mauser that both got my pulse going. Couldn't say no to either one.
-The Mauser was a gamble since I'm not that up to speed on them. It's a K98k dual code Gustloff BCD/AR 42. Initially I was stoked, all the catalog photos showed matching components. But they didn't show the two barrel bands. Got them to shoot additional photos and sure enough, front band was wrong type and rear band was non-matching. But it was still a non-RC example of a hard to find code. Ended up getting it for around $150 more than what an RC marked import would cost. Would have loved a complete matching example but I know that probably would have pushed the price waaaay beyond my budget, somewhere in the $1.5-2K range, more than twice what I paid for it. I blame buddy Milsurp Dan for stoking the fire on that one with his recent K98k acquisition. I got to handle it at the last Gettysburg show and got the itch bad.
-Waiting on it to arrive on the BBT so there might be some ugly surprises still in store for me but I'm optimistic. There were plenty of photos to work with plus you get a sixth sense about stuff after doing it this long. Luckily very little money being spent in the auction house that day so I don't have much sunk into it. Poor Luger will have to wait until next year! Maybe the only way I'll get there is to turn off the 'net for a good six months, keep temptation from my doorstep.