• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    So the title says it all. I'm looking for a long range scope that doesn't break the bank. I picked up a savage model 10 in 308 for under $500 and after shooting about a hundred rounds through it the rifle is very capable, and it deserves a decent scope. I got bored shooting my 4" steel plate at 100y and was able to shoot the bolts out on the first shot. Right now I have a $60 Walmart special 4-16x Center Point scope and I feel I could use more magnification. Features I'm looking for are illuminated reticle, more zoom maybe up 24x, exposed turrets, and most importantly sharp glass.

I've looked through the Vortex Viper PST and they're wonderful but a little more than I really want to spend.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    SWFA? Or even the sample list

Would really help to know what you plan to spent and how far you want to shoot. 16x is a lot for 100 yards.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'll say it :

You don't need more magnification, you could even get by with less.

You DO need higher quality - Better glass, better coatings, more precise and repeatable adjustments.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    You can find the vortex vipers, not the pst but, hs and regular on sale for under 300. I like the idea of swfa 10x. Get good glass in your budget or you will be back asking about them again. Lol

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    As mentioned, the SWFA 10x. I have run one for over 5 years on .308 and .223 and it's a good scope for the money. I have engaged targets out to 1260yds with it, so it's capable.

bbradshaw21

Jun 14, 2016
    Pikesville
    i'd add another vote for the SWFA. I have the 12x on my Savage 10T in .308. Absolutely love it. VERY clear glass, sharp reticle and great adjustments on the turrets. sadly i haven't had the chance to take it past 100yds due to factors outside of my control but it is a great scope for the money and have no doubt it will serve me well out to longer ranges.

check out SWFA and their site Sample List. there are a ton of good deals on there.

bbradshaw21

Jun 14, 2016
    Pikesville
    just realized my poor reading comprehension. the fixed power SWFA don't have the illuminated reticle you are looking for. the fixed power have the turrets and the better glass.

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    OK here is my opinion. You should outline what kind of shooting you are planning on doing. Are we talking of only shooting at 100 yards or are you going to go out to long ranges. Is this more of a hunting gun? You also need to tell us the price range. You will save money on a fixed power optic vs a variable power optic. I also have 2 swfa one in 10x and the other in 12x. What I like about the swfa is price. They also have the features i want in a scope for an awesome price. For example the swfa scopes have turrets for dialing in the bullet drop for different distances. This feature is almost a must on shooting long range. But if you plan to shoot at 100 yards or you are hunting the turrets are not as important. They also have a ranging reticle. To me the illumination is not important unless you are shooting in low light. This would be good for a hunting scope. I think you want more magnification because you think that will help shoot tight groups at 100 yards or you want to see the bullet holes on paper. You can really get by with less than 25x if money is more of the deciding factor.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    OP, as a general rule of thumb in life, you get what you pay for. This is especially true when talking about optics.

I agree with others that the first thing you really need to do is be honest with yourself about what kind of shooting you are going to be doing and what you really need. Things like illuminated reticals, first focal plane optics, exposed "tactical" turrets, side parallax adjustment, adjustable magnification...all those things are great but cost money to do correctly. BEWARE of the scopes that have many of those features at "budget" prices (and they usually are named after birds of prey for some reason). In the end, those extra features are added at the cost of glass quality and/or less reliable construction and manufacturing.

Rather than recommend a specific scope, my recommendation is to spend time thinking about what you really need. Do you really need those extra features? If you're just punching holes in paper at known distances...you don't really. If you're planning on varmint hunting in the mid west at long range, or want to get into F Class competition...you probably do want some of those extra features.

If you're needs are more "casual" shooting related and restricted to a budget of $500 or less...I would go with a scope that has less features and better quality glass and construction. It'll serve you better in the long run. If you need those extra features, or just really want them, I would recommend keeping what you have for now and saving up until you can spend some more money and get a quality scope.

There are a ton of guys who will tell you how awesome their Falcon or Osprey scopes are who never have actually shot them in less than ideal conditions and have never adjusted their turrets after zeroing them in on the range.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    OP, as a general rule of thumb in life, you get what you pay for. This is especially true when talking about optics.

I agree with others that the first thing you really need to do is be honest with yourself about what kind of shooting you are going to be doing and what you really need. Things like illuminated reticals, first focal plane optics, exposed "tactical" turrets, side parallax adjustment, adjustable magnification...all those things are great but cost money to do correctly. BEWARE of the scopes that have many of those features at "budget" prices (and they usually are named after birds of prey for some reason). In the end, those extra features are added at the cost of glass quality and/or less reliable construction and manufacturing.

Rather than recommend a specific scope, my recommendation is to spend time thinking about what you really need. Do you really need those extra features? If you're just punching holes in paper at known distances...you don't really. If you're planning on varmint hunting in the mid west at long range, or want to get into F Class competition...you probably do want some of those extra features.

If you're needs are more "casual" shooting related and restricted to a budget of $500 or less...I would go with a scope that has less features and better quality glass and construction. It'll serve you better in the long run. If you need those extra features, or just really want them, I would recommend keeping what you have for now and saving up until you can spend some more money and get a quality scope.

There are a ton of guys who will tell you how awesome their Falcon or Osprey scopes are who never have actually shot them in less than ideal conditions and have never adjusted their turrets after zeroing them in on the range.

^^^Major does a nice job of summing up everyone's suggestions.

Nikon is probably the worlds largest optics company and while their scopes don't compete on the high end with the likes of Schmidt and Bender or Nightforce, the overall quality of their products is very good.

You may want to take a look at their M-223/M-308 scopes which are based on their Monarch product line.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Leupold VX1 or VX2 3-9x40

More magnification is not a substitute for better glass. Always go for better glass.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I have a couple of the Primary arms scopes that I like. Check out their line. The glass is ok and it has all the features. If down the road you feel you need something better you can sell it and upgrade.

Primary Arms 6-24X50 Front Focal Plane Scope with Patented ACSS HUD 308 Reticle

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Just picked up this Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24 with MOA reticle for a Varmint rifle I'm having built, Optics Planet has a 10% code and free shipping right now. Will most likely use it in the 14X to 18X range. Reviews are good, will see how it goes.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-viper-hs-t-6-24x50mm-riflescope.html

I have that scope and I really like it. My only gripe is that the reticle is only accurate for MOA on 18X. Why not just make it for the max power of 24? Mine is mils and I find myself being forced to use the 18X a lot.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I have that scope and I really like it. My only gripe is that the reticle is only accurate for MOA on 18X. Why not just make it for the max power of 24? Mine is mils and I find myself being forced to use the 18X a lot.

My friend has that scope. It is nice and sharp around 18x, but gets pretty soft at 24x. Over all he is happy with it and for the price it's hard to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom