• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I picked up my big game license yesterday. I tried on line but the system kept asking for my Hunter Safety number. I have been hunting since 1970 on my own and actually found my old license. Went to Solomon's DNR and was in and out in 10 minutes. I can now buy them on line. Being 65 is great as I feel like I am 30 and a hunting license is only 5 bucks. Going to use my 50 Cal. S&W BFR Revolver with open sites. I have been able to hit the bullseye consistency on a body target at 50 yards at the range. Going with a Western rig holster like the cowboys use.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Even if I do not get a deer just being in the woods is reward enough.
    Thanks

Sure thing. But emergency rooms with a broken wrist doesn’t sound like a fun ending to a day in the woods :-)

But more power too you if you can shoot that well.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Sure thing. But emergency rooms with a broken wrist doesn’t sound like a fun ending to a day in the woods :-)

I shot over 40 rounds at the range with my 50 Cal S&W and then another 40 rounds of 40 Cal from my Kahr CM 40. Hand was not even sore had SOG shooting gloves on. I generally prefer shooting left handed but can shoot right handed with good accuracy. Shooting large caliber pistols is all about grip and stance. I also recently shot a friends 45/70 BFR which has less recoil than my 50 Cal S&W which was surprising. Both the 45/70 and 50 Cal can be used in MD for deer hunting in all counties of MD. Maybe when I am 80 I will need to light load the 50 Cal. I also ride a motorcycle, and when I can no longer ride on 2 wheels I will install training wheels (Trike)

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD

Recent Target at SMAR 50 yard rifle range.

Attachments

• 50-50.jpg
      50-50.jpg
      17.7 KB · Views: 372

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    How big is that target? Not sure I would be taking any gun hunting if that's the group I got. Those shots in the 8 and 7 ring will only lead to injured deer.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    How big is that target? Not sure I would be taking any gun hunting if that's the group I got. Those shots in the 8 and 7 ring will only lead to injured deer.

It is normal body size at 50 yards and it was the first time I had even shot the 50 Cal BFR. Any who those were my first few shots in 7 & 8 the rest were center mass. Bet you cannot do any better for the first time. We should hook up at the range and see if you could do better. Challenge?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm not reading minds , but I don't think that was necessarily an invitation to a urination contest .

Speaking in my own voice ; The discussion should be around what is a suitable distance guideline for ( every ) hunter . Like everything , there is debate about the details .

A commonly invoced rule of thumb is to be able to put 4 out of 5 shots on a 10in paper plate , from field relevant position/ stance .

Was the embedded 50 yd target fired standing ? Then experement with shooting from a rested or braced position @ 50 yds . A the rule of thumb size groups might be more in the neighborhood of 25yds presently from unsupported standing .

No shaming or ridicule intended for anyone
    Heck the whole point of Handgun Hunting is for the challenge of the endeavor . Challenge individually or cumulatively of stalking , skill in pre- selecting ambush spot , and honing marksmanship skills .

Heck , I'm a big bore fan , and curious about trying the stretched BFRs , I would enjoy an opportunity to try one out @ MSR . ( And with my 1.5 bad arms at the moment , you might have a leg up in any friendly sporting propositions . )

Added - Your PM box is not turned on . If you could be up for inviting for a range session , PM me , or see me at most MSI events .

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    OP, I'll glad meet you for a session, but please don't think I was challenging you. I'd like you to succeed this season.

I just really hate to see folks wound and lose deer. I would argue that for any gun/bow/whatever folks want to hunt with that the criteria is tighter. My expectations are 50/50 shots in a 6 inch target. From the exact positions used to hunt. Whatever maximum distance that gets you is the max distance to hunt.

Most people shoot worse in the field than at the range. Sticking farther inside our comfort zone will ensure more recovered deer.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Been using my 44super Redhawk, put a red dot on it. Debating scope or dot had one laying around so put the dot on . Glad to hear you are heading out , have a great time and enjoy . I like my pistol because it’s just different from lugging a rifle around. Have fun and I hope you harvest something.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I haven't deliberately put an optic on a revolver . But once upon a time aquired a NM Blackhawk .41 at a price that I would have gone for w/o optic , figuring nothing to loose .

Tried my default starting point handload , and it did sub 1in @ 25yds

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I'm not reading minds , but I don't think that was necessarily an invitation to a urination contest .

Speaking in my own voice ; The discussion should be around what is a suitable distance guideline for ( every ) hunter . Like everything , there is debate about the details .

A commonly invoced rule of thumb is to be able to put 4 out of 5 shots on a 10in paper plate , from field relevant position/ stance .

Was the embedded 50 yd target fired standing ? Then experement with shooting from a rested or braced position @ 50 yds . A the rule of thumb size groups might be more in the neighborhood of 25yds presently from unsupported standing .

No shaming or ridicule intended for anyone
    Heck the whole point of Handgun Hunting is for the challenge of the endeavor . Challenge individually or cumulatively of stalking , skill in pre- selecting ambush spot , and honing marksmanship skills .

Heck , I'm a big bore fan , and curious about trying the stretched BFRs , I would enjoy an opportunity to try one out @ MSR . ( And with my 1.5 bad arms at the moment , you might have a leg up in any friendly sporting propositions . )

Added - Your PM box is not turned on . If you could be up for inviting for a range session , PM me , or see me at most MSI events .

I was standing with no support other than my 2 hands once I got use to the weight and handling all the rest were in the zone. I do not bench rest or use any supports when shooting long guns or hand guns.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I was standing with no support other than my 2 hands once I got use to the weight and handling all the rest were in the zone. I do not bench rest or use any supports when shooting long guns or hand guns.

Harry, I see you've indicated being involved in hunting since 1970. Just make sure to use the most expensive bullets that you can if you choose to any field work from something like maybe uhm a moving helicopter and you should be GTG :thumbsup:

That way if you get a flyer into the 8 or 9 ring on an animal with a 17 moa vital zone at 40 yds you wont have to tell anyone if you were a little off that day.
    Or place a field tag on the horns when you post up a picture for that matter.:)

Good luck this year and give em hell with all you got. Hope you get the big one!

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    OP, I'll glad meet you for a session, but please don't think I was challenging you. I'd like you to succeed this season.

I just really hate to see folks wound and lose deer. I would argue that for any gun/bow/whatever folks want to hunt with that the criteria is tighter. My expectations are 50/50 shots in a 6 inch target. From the exact positions used to hunt. Whatever maximum distance that gets you is the max distance to hunt.

Most people shoot worse in the field than at the range. Sticking farther inside our comfort zone will ensure more recovered deer.

A little background:

I have been hunting since 1965 on the farm had a Remington 22/410 over and under. Shot my first deer that year at about 50 yards on the farm. Got my first hunting license in 1970. At 12 it was my first year trapping. Trapper about 150 muskrats sold at the fur auction for $2.50 each. Back then my parents were only making 35 to 50 dollars a week. I then went on was trapping fox, skunk, beaver, mink and weasels and making good money doing so.

When I was in the Coast Guard I was able to hunt Kodiak bear in Alaska, Elk in Montana, alligators, deer, nutria and hogs in Louisiana, hogs in Georgia, deer, bear and turkey in the north east and moose in Maine. Have never hunted water fowl not in my wheel house.

That said I do understand where you are coming from. Holding a 5.5 pound
    large caliber pistol without any form of support and at the age of 65 is challenging have you tried it? Yes, my first few rounds were not pretty. However, when I got the feel all the rest were very tightly grouped. I have never hunted with a pistol always carried one as a back up when hunting except for MD as their laws suck.

I am a tracker not a stand hunter and have never used a scope other than my Ruger 10/22 which came with it. There is only one time I wounded an animal and had to track it. If the shot is not there I do not take it.

Back in the late 70's while serving in the USCG I was assigned to special duty with other OGAs for my tracking skills. My job was to track/hunt 2 legged animals in a third world country. Not proud of what I had to do and did not use a scope then as it always got in the way when things were moving fast. AT 65 I still have 20/15 vision and before I retired I was averaging 5 miles a day walking at my job sites. I am not a large person 5'8" at a 160 pounds.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Harry, I see you've indicated being involved in hunting since 1970. Just make sure to use the most expensive bullets that you can if you choose to any field work from something like maybe uhm a moving helicopter and you should be GTG :thumbsup:

That way if you get a flyer into the 8 or 9 ring on an animal with a 17 moa vital zone at 40 yds you wont have to tell anyone if you were a little off that day.
    Or place a field tag on the horns when you post up a picture for that matter.:)

Good luck this year and give em hell with all you got. Hope you get the big one!

I currently match reload all my bullets do not buy store bought ammo, 45/70, 30/30, 40 Cal S&W and 50 Cal S&W Mags. Previously reloaded 308, 30/06, 7.62 , 12 gauge, 223, 222, and 40 Cal colt long.

Will post some pics when/if I cull one.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    I just noticed the other day after lunch on Solomon's that DNR had an office there. I always used to use the one in Benedict before switching to online. I plan on taking advantage of the new straight wall rules now also. Currently I plan on using 44mag, either S&W Performance Center 629 or Henry Big Boy. When I went bear hunting a couple of years ago in Western MD I carried a Desert Eagle in 44mag just in case. I had checked with The DNR up there about using it and he replied he hoped I got one with the pistol since it would be a first for them.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I currently match reload all my bullets do not buy store bought ammo, 45/70, 30/30, 40 Cal S&W and 50 Cal S&W Mags. Previously reloaded 308, 30/06, 7.62 , 12 gauge, 223, 222, and 40 Cal colt long.

Will post some pics when/if I cull one.

If you run up against for interference due to other hunter density or run into a dry spell for harvest opportunities let me know.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I just noticed the other day after lunch on Solomon's that DNR had an office there. I always used to use the one in Benedict before switching to online. I plan on taking advantage of the new straight wall rules now also. Currently I plan on using 44mag, either S&W Performance Center 629 or Henry Big Boy. When I went bear hunting a couple of years ago in Western MD I carried a Desert Eagle in 44mag just in case. I had checked with The DNR up there about using it and he replied he hoped I got one with the pistol since it would be a first for them.

DNR moved from Prince Frederick to Solomon's pretty recently. That was where I picked this years hunting license. My Daughter-in-laws family hails from Solomon's. I often eat at Boomerang's and chat with Billy.

The 44 is is a sweet caliber, I had a hog leg Ruger single six back in the early 80's. Used it in Louisiana as my back up whish I kept it.

I have a Henry 45/70 Octagon barrel with brass receiver. was thinking about using it this year as DNR says it is not a bottle neck cartage and can be used in all counties. But going to use the 50 Cal S&W revolver it has a 7.5" barrel no porting like the S&W model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom