• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woody

Oct 27, 2017
    Received my permit in the mail today. I applied I think second week of December... Got a call for the interview early Feb, which took place a few days later (sounds like the same Frank from above... Very simple... Nothing confrontational), then received permit today.

I'm a Mid-Atlantic service business owner, and while it sucks for so many who don't meet the MD requirements, I am happy to finally have this in hand. I applied for the DC permit about a month or so ago (we will see about the MD training and whether it applies... Officer King seemed to believe it would not), and I'll be sending off to PA for theirs shortly.

Overall, I'd say it went about as smoothly as I could have expected.

Don't know what help I can offer, but happy to answer any questions...

I'll send in for the HPRB hearing to see about the restrictions, given that I have business in VA, DC, PA and DE, and it could become challenging to manage depending on the day and what fires need putting out where. Any suggestions on that front are welcome... And best of luck in the mean time to those who continue to wait and fight.

Cheers.
    Woody

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

JaegerJason

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 1, 2018
    Any chance I can reuse the HQL fingerprint numbers for my wear and carry application? Same fingerprints...

Edit: Never mind, found it in the instructions: "separate fingerprints are required." What a crock o'...

johnkorz

Feb 25, 2013
    Savage
    If you are applying for an update your carry permit you need an 8 hour training class that included a qualifying shooting session. If you are applying as for a new permit there is a 16 hour class along with a shooting portion. However, passing any training session does not guarantee you will receive a carry permit.

John

Isaakb

Dec 15, 2015
    Northern Calvert County
    Thanks for the reply. And no offense, but it appears that in the eyes of the MSP any judge or lawyer is an easy approval.
    At least that is what the lawyer in my CCW course made it seem as we were chatting during the breaks. His lawyer colleagues were going to provide him with the verbiage to use and his application was going to sail through.

Thank you for your service.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I am not a lawyer. I'm an analyst.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Just as a follow up to an earlier comment and recommendation from other users, I sent in my application to Pennsylvania. Got a letter back from the sheriff (in my case, Adams County's) in just a week, indicating that I'd been approved. Took the relatively short drive up to the Gettysburg courthouse. It took me longer to get through the security at the front door than it did for the permit clerk in room 4 to get my headshot, print, laminate, and cashier (for $20) my PA carry permit. Presto.

Maryland is a monstrous place on this front.

Isaakb

Dec 15, 2015
    Northern Calvert County
    Just as a follow up to an earlier comment and recommendation from other users, I sent in my application to Pennsylvania. Got a letter back from the sheriff (in my case, Adams County's) in just a week, indicating that I'd been approved. Took the relatively short drive up to the Gettysburg courthouse. It took me longer to get through the security at the front door than it did for the permit clerk in room 4 to get my headshot, print, laminate, and cashier (for $20) my PA carry permit. Presto.

Maryland is a monstrous place on this front.

Did you mail in the application or drop it off in person?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Did you mail in the application or drop it off in person?

I downloaded the form, completed it, and mailed it in along with the supporting requirements (a photocopy of my Maryland DL and carry permit). They required two character witnesses ... neither of which reported to me they were contacted, so go figure. It was perhaps a week or so later I got back a "you're approved, come and get it!" letter, mentioning that I needed my ID and $20. The nice young lady in room 4 of the Gettysburg court house had me in and out in about ten minutes.

I had to pat myself on the back for remembering to leave my EDC knife in the car when I went to the courthouse. The guy in front of me got a stern talking to by the LEOs at the door/magnetometer for the Leatherman he was carrying, and had to return it to his car. At least they didn't confiscate it!

So, if you already have your MD permit, this is easy-peasey. If you don't, then you have a much more challenging task ahead of you in PA to get a non-resident permit. BTW, it's good for 5 years. But I believe you get PA mad at you if your 2-year MD permit lapses.

Acorn

Nov 6, 2017
    Has anyone been successful using a clearance as G&S? Any specific level clearance needed?

In short, yes. TS is almost a guarantee, SECRET is absolutely possible, but will likely need to jump thru hoops and testify at the HPRB(that's the route I took with only having a SECRET).

Marshmallow

Feb 4, 2012
    For those that have received permits, what was your wait time? I will be sending my application mid week next week. Just curious.

Woody

Oct 27, 2017
    For those that have received permits, what was your wait time? I will be sending my application mid week next week. Just curious.
    I filed mid December, received it a little over a week ago... So, pretty much right on three months...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I hate the Maryland State Police website , you can get any information with one click but when you renew you do anything with a gun they run the pages on you . Bunch of Donut A-Whole's

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I hate the Maryland State Police website , you can get any information with one click but when you renew you do anything with a gun they run the pages on you . Bunch of Donut A-Whole's

I'm not sure what part of the site you're referencing, but the Licensing portal works fine for me. It was easy to renew my instructors certificate. I'm on the site several times a week to confirm my HQL students, and that's easy too. It works great on my iPhone.

When I needed to apply for W&C, I just Googled "Maryland wear and carry permit" and went straight to the page with the form.

I'm not saying the site is perfect, few sites are, but it works for me.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I'm not sure what part of the site you're referencing, but the Licensing portal works fine for me. It was easy to renew my instructors certificate. I'm on the site several times a week to confirm my HQL students, and that's easy too. It works great on my iPhone.

When I needed to apply for W&C, I just Googled "Maryland wear and carry permit" and went straight to the page with the form.

I'm not saying the site is perfect, few sites are, but it works for me.

Yeah i have done it before on-line , but for some reason it now says it won't load because of system .
    I hate computers and the different systems , not sure how to overcome it but will try to get it working . I have tried two computers in the office , i have two more left

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Yeah i have done it before on-line , but for some reason it now says it won't load because of system .
    I hate computers and the different systems , not sure how to overcome it but will try to get it working . I have tried two computers in the office , i have two more left

I was on the Licensing portal this morning. What are you trying to access? I'll give it a shot from my location.

jtaldow

www.mises.org
    Jan 28, 2018
    Montgomery County, MD
    Often wondered why folks refer to the MD permit as "Wear & Carry" when the card itself says "Permit to Carry a Handgun" which would make it a PCH.

Yeah, the application website reads "Handgun Wear and Carry Permit". You'd think there would be some consistency in the title of the application and the title of the card. Apparently that's too much to ask.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    My permit just came in today. Here is what I did:
    Initial submission included:
    - a G&S statement explaining why it is important in the conduct of my business to be able to defend myself to include the impact on the public if my equipment was stolen (I'm a firearms instructor and security consultant)
    - DD214
    - Copy of my MDSP HQL and W&C instructor certificate
    - Articles of incorporation
    - 10 invoices for the business
    - P&L statement from the business

During the interview, I was respectful and candid with the inspector. I answered all of his questions and did not get defensive. During the face to face interview, he asked for the following in a single PDF:

- Class rosters of my last two HQL classes
    - A copy of my 2017 Schedule C showing my business name, gross, and net earnings
    - Two recent bank statements from my business highlighting business deposits and charges
    - Two receipts from business related purchases

That's it. Three weeks after I sent the inspector the supplemental info, my permit came. I didn't try to game the system, threaten to bring my lawyer to a review board hearing, or anything like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom