• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigfoot21075

Ultimate Member
    Nov 3, 2008
    Elkridge, MD
    Supreme Court Takes Major NRA Second Amendment Case from New York

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/01/22/supreme-court-nra-second-amendment-case-new-york/

WASHINGTON, DC – The Supreme Court on Tuesday granted review in the first Second Amendment case in almost a decade, a case supported by the National Rifle Association (NRA), and perhaps signaling what to expect from the new membership of the Supreme Court.
    New York law forbids residents from owning any handguns without a permit, and that permit allows the holder to possess guns only in their home or en route to or from one of seven shooting ranges in the city. A gun owner cannot transport a firearm outside the home for any other purpose, even if it is unloaded and locked in a case in the trunk of a car.

The New York State Rifle & Pistol Association and several of its members sued in federal court, arguing that this statute is unconstitutional.

WASHINGTON, DC – The Supreme Court on Tuesday granted review in the first Second Amendment case in almost a decade, a case supported by the National Rifle Association (NRA), and perhaps signaling what to expect from the new membership of the Supreme Court.
    New York law forbids residents from owning any handguns without a permit, and that permit allows the holder to possess guns only in their home or en route to or from one of seven shooting ranges in the city. A gun owner cannot transport a firearm outside the home for any other purpose, even if it is unloaded and locked in a case in the trunk of a car.

The New York State Rifle & Pistol Association and several of its members sued in federal court, arguing that this statute is unconstitutional.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    When SCOTUS takes a case does it mean this year a ruling will be made? by Oct. 1st? :) trying to think positive here.
    As someone else asked (mxrider?) in the RGB thread, can she vote while in the hospital?

Last edited:

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    When SCOTUS takes a case does it mean this year a ruling will be made? by Oct. 1st? :) trying to think positive here.
    As someone else asked (mxrider?) in the RGB thread, can she vote while in the hospital?

Ha! Extremely slim chance of a ruling this year. It won't even be argued until this Fall. Decision expected sometime before July 2020. As for Ginsburg, can't comment.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    If she doesn't hear the orals she shouldn't get an opinion...but you know how it goes in DC...

I'm not sad that Rhenquist participated in SCOTUS votes while recovering at home from cancer treatment during some oral arguments in 2005. Fair's fair.

of all the cases they could have heard, this, is the one they take?

Taking this one doesn't mean skipping others. We've had a lot of patience over this sort of thing. I still have more, especially now that there's some originalist light at the end of this current tunnel.

CrabcakesAndFootball

Jun 14, 2017
    I'm not sad that Rhenquist participated in SCOTUS votes while recovering at home from cancer treatment during some oral arguments in 2005. Fair's fair.

Taking this one doesn't mean skipping others. We've had a lot of patience over this sort of thing. I still have more, especially now that there's some originalist light at the end of this current tunnel.

Amen. It's been over 40 years since SCOTUS amended the Constitution to find a right to abortion emanating from the penumbra of my a**. Once a decision comes, it lasts for a long long time.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    no, I would prefer they would take one that has some meaning and actually help us.

Agree. Maybe that does happen with this case if the standard of scrutiny is ruled upon. But then that may mean the CCW cases already in the pipeline get sent back to the lower courts and another few years get eaten up while some circuits may get the message and others won't.

Odarlin1

Ultimate Member
    Well I like to think positive - Seems to me The impact of this case could be huge because the Court may decide that the right to gun possession extends outside the home. The Court could undermine long-standing restrictions on concealed carry in our cities. Therefore, as such no "good and substantial" reason would be necessary. Could this be the National Constitutional Carry?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    ... the Court may decide that the right to gun possession extends outside the home...

If I understand Heller correctly, the court already decided that. What hasn't happened since is the appropriate spanking of tons of local laws that run up against that reality. Maybe this is one of them, maybe not.

Minor

May 17, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    Well I like to think positive - Seems to me The impact of this case could be huge because the Court may decide that the right to gun possession extends outside the home. The Court could undermine long-standing restrictions on concealed carry in our cities. Therefore, as such no "good and substantial" reason would be necessary. Could this be the National Constitutional Carry?

Not to throw a hand grenade into the mix but you could imagine if the “right” to an abortion ended at your front door? Or your First Amendment rights? Why do us lucky gun types have those limits on our Rights?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom