What did you do at your reloading bench today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Finally getting back around to loading up some bang-pills. Still have 3 batches of brass to prep, but the pre-prepped batches are getting loaded up now.

43.3gr H4350, 142gr SMK, 2.815" COL - a known performer for this rifle.

gpfan

Dec 6, 2014
    Sykesville, MD
    Handprimed 300 .38 Specials while watching "A Farewell To Arms" with the wife.
    She's a knitter. ...I tell her this is MY knitting. :D

gpfan_handprime_38sp.jpeg

DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    Finished up a batch of .308. I don't think I've ever loaded a batch of anything start-to-finish in one day. Each stage is done as I get to it and feel like fooling with it. As mentioned earlier, it's "knitting for men". Keeps me from finding some trouble to get into during my down time.

Attachments

• 308.jpg
      308.jpg
      75.1 KB · Views: 478

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Not just today, but over the past week and a half I discovered that 1 pound of Viht N560 will load roughly (83) .338LM rounds with respective weights of 81, 83 and 85 grains. Needless to say, I have 83 rounds ready for tomorrow's range day. I also loaded about 50 rounds of 308.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Yep, the rifle powder disappears fast!

1lb = 7,000gr. 7000/(your 83gr avg charge) = ~84 rounds. It's the new math. Have fun tomorrow!

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Yep, the rifle powder disappears fast!

1lb = 7,000gr. 7000/(your 83gr avg charge) = ~84 rounds. It's the new math. Have fun tomorrow!

Thanks. I figured best way to spend my birthday would be to hit the range up :D

I'll be dialing down to see which load is running best and coming back to fine tune afterwards. It should be a nice Friday.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Working on 1.5k rounds of 9mm brass.....

Attachments

• IMG_0223 small.jpg
      IMG_0223 small.jpg
      116.9 KB · Views: 385

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Not just today, but over the past week and a half I discovered that 1 pound of Viht N560 will load roughly (83) .338LM rounds with respective weights of 81, 83 and 85 grains. Needless to say, I have 83 rounds ready for tomorrow's range day. I also loaded about 50 rounds of 308.

Yep, sounds about right.

I get roughly 160 rounds out of a pound of H4350 when it comes to the .260, I'm still working thru a freedom sized jug of powder.

Have 13 142gr SMK's left, then I'm all out of 6.5 pills. So whatever I got already loaded is what's going to have to do for tomorrow at DSC.

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Yep, sounds about right.

I get roughly 160 rounds out of a pound of H4350 when it comes to the .260, I'm still working thru a freedom sized jug of powder.

Have 13 142gr SMK's left, then I'm all out of 6.5 pills. So whatever I got already loaded is what's going to have to do for tomorrow at DSC.

Well my range day went well.. My 308 liked the higher grain loads. the 338 was right in the middle around 83g of powder. I was pretty happy with how they turned out. I'm headed to Chantilly this week for more powder and bullets.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Well my range day went well.. My 308 liked the higher grain loads. the 338 was right in the middle around 83g of powder. I was pretty happy with how they turned out. I'm headed to Chantilly this week for more powder and bullets.

Might have missed it, but what powder are you using/looking for?

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Since I'm down to my last 70 round box of 7.62x25 surplus and don't like the price of commmercial 7.62 so much, i decided to make cases from 223. I've got commercial brass for my Chinese, reblued, relined, C96, but not the TT33. I know the cases are almost identical, but with such different loads I like to keep the headstamps different so I don't accidently hurt my C96 or one of the people who ask to shoot the "Star Wars" gun. Don't tell them it's a Warlord wars gun, war of Japanese aggression gun, Reds vs Nationalists war gun, or PRC gun. It's always Hans Solo's gun. LOL.
    I read through all the threads on reforming brass from 223. Thank you j8064 and those who offered alternative methods for this.
    I made up 54 cases from sweep up brass out of the range bucket. All polished, flared, and primed. A pound of Unique and data are in hand too.
    Read through all the threads where people gave tips or asked about problems seating bullets or chambering rounds. I've got the Lee FCD. I do great roll crimps on straight cases, but watching a friend crush 44-40 cases, I decided to skip straight to easiest. Or call me lazy for not wanting to fool with seating die adjustments.
    Now I'm waiting for some 90 grain cast bullets I ordered to make up a few dummies, then work up loads.
    Anyone use an umbrella on a tripod or across the bench to catch cases from a Tokarev or C96? No, I'm not shooting Tokarev rounds in the Broomhandle, but I dont' shoot it often because the brass flies up to the stratosphere. C96 up and to who knows where? Tokarev rightish and who knows where? I can never find half of them.
    Thank you all for the help you didn't know you gave me.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Loaded up some more ammo for my Gewehr 88/05. I found a load which seems to work out very well but I refined the way I load the ammo this time.

The bore diameter of the Gew 88 is around .321 (some Czech made barrels measure .318 or less) instead of the "usual" .323 for most "modern" rifles chambered in 8mm Mauser.

I use Hornady .321 diameter bullets made for the .32 Winchester Special. The expander in my RCBS dies expands the case too much to reliably hold the .321 bullets which is the problem I ran into last time I shot it. I tried taking the expander assembly out of the die and the cases are now sized perfectly to hold the smaller bullets.

I used 39 grains of IMR 4320 which is in the safe range for the Gew 88 action. When I shot this same load last week it shot point of aim at 100 yards and gave me 1 inch groups. Velocity is around 2200 fps.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Prepped 125 6.5 CM cases today. Annealed, sized, trimmed, uniformed pockets and reamed the flash holes.

I’ve been developing a load for a while and I think I got a good recipe. Tested out to 600yd yesterday and achieved .25 MOA.

I got admitted into PNTC a few weeks ago and I plan on qualifying for their 1000yd Range ASAP. So I think this load will suffice.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    2nd time using my reloading bench since moving and setting it up. I have more room now but its in a detached garage. Seems I don't get the time I used to.
    4 rounds of my accurate 7.62x54r load. I got rid of the lousy (but free!) PPU ammo and made better use of the cases. They are neck sized using a BRIT 303 case neck die. I am using .311 bullets which shoot great in all of my Mosins. Even though I'm forming them in my Scoped PU Sniper Mosin, I have yet to have any bolt closing issues in the other mosins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom