• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rocky Ridge is good and Thurmont is OK
    We lived in Thurmont for many years it really grew and changed but is still a great town and has a good police Force. Then we moved to a farm in Rocky Ridge and stayed there for about 8 years it was great. No houses near us. Great neighbors and we could hunt and target shoot there on our property and our neighbors property. We helped some of them farm.
    No one freaked if they saw someone target shooting on their own property. Everyone around us was 2 A friendly. :)

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I also live in Middletown and love it. We moved from Olney in MoCo to find a nice place to raise our daughter. I just wish they'd stop trying to build up the area, as Middletown's small town charm is what attracted me in the first place. For the people who look down on "non-diverse" areas, you probably wouldn't like Middletown. It's safe as can be in today's America.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    I also live in Middletown and love it. We moved from Olney in MoCo to find a nice place to raise our daughter. I just wish they'd stop trying to build up the area, as Middletown's small town charm is what attracted me in the first place. For the people who look down on "non-diverse" areas, you probably wouldn't like Middletown. It's safe as can be in today's America.

Well to be fair, people like you moving from Montgomery County and elsewhere are why they built it up to begin with. I remember when it was literally all farm land when you came over Braddock Mountain. Pretty much fields until you hit the older colonial homes.

Mr.Blue

Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Well to be fair, people like you moving from Montgomery County and elsewhere are why they built it up to begin with. I remember when it was literally all farm land when you came over Braddock Mountain. Pretty much fields until you hit the older colonial homes.

True, but I'm talking more about adding stores and potentially apartments. I don't mind houses. I haven't been in MD too long, but I had to get out of MoCo right away.

FireAtWill

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
    Sep 12, 2013
    Frederick
    Have lived all over the US and have spent the last 16 years in Frederick. Our 2 kids went through the FredCo school system, off to college and came back here to work. Both were well aware of drugs in their schools and our community as well as other issues. As with everywhere else we lived, IMO, it's about parenting and just teaching your kids to make good choices. Frederick is beginning to pay the price for its desire to annex everything in sight and develop commercially and residentially. I watched the same thing happen to my hometown in PA. The small town feel isn't what it used to be, but it's still a great place to live...for now...in spite of Maryland politics and taxes. I definitely won't retire here, but have enjoyed my stay. Hiking and hunting in the mountains is 10 minutes away, as are trout streams and creeks. Getting away from the stress of DC and Baltimore life is only a short 4WD away on a local network of fire roads. As with any move, do your research...some areas are preferable to others, depending on your personal priorities. Take a hard look at development and future road network plans. Good luck.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.

True, but I'm talking more about adding stores and potentially apartments. I don't mind houses. I haven't been in MD too long, but I had to get out of MoCo right away.

This is what has always baffled me about a lot of people that moved from MoCo to Frederick. They all get mad when they start getting more populated. I don't want to sound like an a$$ but your not the only one that wants to live in the "country". How do you think Frederick got so built up to begin with? Who remembers when the ONLY place to shop was either downtown Frederick or the Golden Mile? There was literally NOTHING between 85 and 355 until you got up to Evergreen Point. And there was NOTHING past 270 going south except farms.

The other issue is all the people that wanted to live out in a rural area and they moved right next to a farm. Then when the smells of the farm got a little to intense for them, they want to shut the farmer down. That's a whole different thing though and only applies to a few people. Don't get mad because progress is coming your way. Get more land in Ag preservation. Go to planning board meetings. Then you won't have to worry about apartments.

Mr.Blue

Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    This is what has always baffled me about a lot of people that moved from MoCo to Frederick. They all get mad when they start getting more populated. I don't want to sound like an a$$ but your not the only one that wants to live in the "country". How do you think Frederick got so built up to begin with? Who remembers when the ONLY place to shop was either downtown Frederick or the Golden Mile? There was literally NOTHING between 85 and 355 until you got up to Evergreen Point. And there was NOTHING past 270 going south except farms.

The other issue is all the people that wanted to live out in a rural area and they moved right next to a farm. Then when the smells of the farm got a little to intense for them, they want to shut the farmer down. That's a whole different thing though and only applies to a few people. Don't get mad because progress is coming your way. Get more land in Ag preservation. Go to planning board meetings. Then you won't have to worry about apartments.

Clearly you didn't read my post. I don't want STORES AND BUSINESSES going up! I'm fine with houses, as long as they are not "affordable housing". Some of the people I know that have lived in Middletown for a long time tell me that it was so hard for SUBWAY to get approved, yet now they are adding more and more commercial properties. These properties are not needed.

I'm sorry, I can complain about it if I want to. I paid plenty for my house. I only lived in MoCo for a little bit, as I was relocated here from Wisconsin and didn't know anything about the area. I also don't complain about the smells of the farms and would never expect existing businesses to change their ways because I am now here. I don't want this area to turn into MoCo. Nothing wrong with that. I have a 2 hour commute each way some days. How much further can I move to get away from undesirables?

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    Clearly you didn't read my post. I don't want STORES AND BUSINESSES going up! I'm fine with houses, as long as they are not "affordable housing". Some of the people I know that have lived in Middletown for a long time tell me that it was so hard for SUBWAY to get approved, yet now they are adding more and more commercial properties. These properties are not needed.

I'm sorry, Mr. Preacher, I can complain about it if I want to. I only lived in MoCo for a little bit, as I was relocated here from Wisconsin and didn't know anything about the area. I also don't complain about the smells of the farms and would never expect existing businesses to change their ways because I am now here. I don't want this area to turn into MoCo. Nothing wrong with that. I have a 2 hour commute each way some days. How much further can I move to get away from undesirables?

I apologize for the way that sounded. It wasn't particularly aimed at you but you really have to follow things through to the end result. More houses means more infrastructure needs which would include stores and businesses. I have lived in MoCo all of my life, 58 years, and have seen the steady decline of the Frederick area. In another 20 years it will look just like MoCo. They said it would never happen to Frederick 25 years ago.

Mr.Blue

Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I apologize for the way that sounded. It wasn't particularly aimed at you but you really have to follow things through to the end result. More houses means more infrastructure needs which would include stores and businesses. I have lived in MoCo all of my life, 58 years, and have seen the steady decline of the Frederick area. In another 20 years it will look just like MoCo. They said it would never happen to Frederick 25 years ago.

No worries, my friend. I fear you are right that it will look like MoCo. Ugh!!

DCSCO

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2008
    Frederick County
    Residential property taxes do not cover the burden of the residences. Commercial property taxes carry more burden than residential. A town with no commercial property will be poorer of have fewer services.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

I'm sorry, I can complain about it if I want to. I paid plenty for my house. I only lived in MoCo for a little bit, as I was relocated here from Wisconsin and didn't know anything about the area. I also don't complain about the smells of the farms and would never expect existing businesses to change their ways because I am now here. I don't want this area to turn into MoCo. Nothing wrong with that. I have a 2 hour commute each way some days. How much further can I move to get away from undesirables?

I totally understand you. When I moved to Myersville in Jan 90 we had a ball field where the fire station is, we had a highs and the area past the post office on rt17 was all wetlands. Just started to build Ashley and meadow ridge subdivisions. Then the people came from out of county and the first thing they wanted was ball fields, a pool for their many children and more. So then they rezoned the protected wetland area and built their ball fields. Then they needed a path from Main Street to get there. Luckily no community pool (yet). I would like a library in town. Middletown is the same with building of a strip mall across from the golf course area. And I live directly across from a farm on the gun club road. No problem for me!

Mr.Blue

Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Residential property taxes do not cover the burden of the residences. Commercial property taxes carry more burden than residential. A town with no commercial property will be poorer of have fewer services.

I'd rather pay more taxes than have our small town built up.

GodOfVice

Banned
    BANNED!!!

Frederick is nothing more than DC/Balto Lite, getting worse every day.
    Even Waldorf had it's day.... small time gambling joints and St Charles was but a twinkle in some developers eye and it was country. :sad20: I think this country is pretty much full up and we really don't need any immigration from anywhere any longer..

Whitey

Collector and involved.
    Apr 5, 2014
    Central MD
    If you are willing to go to Thurmont cross the line and live in the Good Old US of A.

That's what I did. Paying more taxes than down here, but you can get WAY more house for the money. same commute time. My neighbor has roosters and chickens and I much rather have that than what I had to deal with down here. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom