• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    As you are aware, the Maryland State Police have enlisted the help of multiple non-MSP agencies and tasked up to 200 employees with entering Personal Identifying Information (PII) for the MSP in order to reduce the current backlog. In their Press Release, the MSP assured us that the information was secure and that we have nothing to worry about

MSI has spoken to multiple sources within these agencies and confirmed that this is not the case. There are serious concerns and issues that need to be addressed.
    Employees are accessing a searchable database of 77R forms.
    The web portal to that database is insecure, does not use SSL, has an expired security certificate and is accessible from anywhere on the Internet. It is not contained within Maryland Government networks.
    All of the employees were given the same login and password.
    The database is searchable. You can search by name and even enter partial searches.

From what we understand, the original 77R’s have been scanned in .TIF format and placed on encrypted disks. The employees are accessing the data from the disk and entering it through the insecure web portal.

However, since they all use the same login, it will be virtually impossible to know who accessed what information and when. It also means that if the login information is shared with an outside source, the MSP would have no way of tracking down the source of the leak and enforcing their “confidentiality agreement.”

This information is accessible from anywhere if you have the login information. You can even access it from a smartphone.

Martin O'Malley and the Maryland General Assembly spoke at length about how they want to make Maryland safer through strict gun control. It is UNFATHOMABLE that people who claim to be proponents of making our state safer could allow such a grievous breach of security. Not only did MSP allow unauthorized persons to view and input this information, they now are allowing it to be transmitted online without any encryption into a database where everyone shares the same account.

Understand in very simple terms: Your recent order with Amazon.com is FAR more secure than your personal identifying information with the Maryland State Police.

As of right now MSI is working with some of our 2A friendly delegates to find out these answers but we believe that you should know exactly what is going on at this moment.

Delegate Mike Smigiel has submitted two PIA requests to the MSP. You can read the requests here. http://delegatemike.com/pia-request/

We will update you with any information as it develops and we appreciate your support. Without you and your support, efforts such as these would not be possible.

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Ok...I thought I was pissed before. No words to describe my anger now...that site needs to be shut dafuq down. Please tell me it is not still up and running!!!

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    Ok...I thought I was pissed before. No words to describe my anger now...that site needs to be shut dafuq down. Please tell me it is not still up and running!!!

It is. We have the URL, but we will not share it given the major security concerns.

ibang1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Funny how the place I work have fired people for sharing their computer accounts. Sound like a huge compromise on system access. Maybe it's time to submit a lawsuit.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    unbelievable. If this is accurate, every but of your personal info was/is effectively published on the internet

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Are they obligated by law to safeguard our information?

Ask any banker/lender. They are required to use key FOBs that generate random codes each time they log into secure databases/sites. Your info is safer when applying for a mortgage than when buying a gun.

dfens42

Publius
    Jun 7, 2012
    Free America-WV Province
    Funny how the place I work have fired people for sharing their computer accounts. Sound like a huge compromise on system access. Maybe it's time to submit a lawsuit.

I wrote someone up for it last week. By Federal law we can't use shared logins because we have to be able to produce paper trails for crap like Sarbanes/Oxley.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Thanks Brian for posting the update and following this so diligently.

They need to shut this down now. How do we do this? Court, Feds? What's the fastest way to stop the bleeding? If we wait for the PIA and policitians, it's gonna take way too long.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    So, since it's a searchable database I will assume that means that even if you filled out a 77r 2 years ago that they can find that information out given the right search words??????
    Something has to be done on a higher level than the state. We'll just get the same old BS from within this state!! I hate to see what happens when the Federal level security people get this information. Thanks MARTY!!! You moron.

dfens42

Publius
    Jun 7, 2012
    Free America-WV Province
    So, since it's a searchable database I will assume that means that even if you filled out a 77r 2 years ago that they can find that information out given the right search words??????
    Something has to be done on a higher level than the state. We'll just get the same old BS from within this state!! I hate to see what happens when the Federal level security people get this information. Thanks MARTY!!! You moron.

That's exactly what it means. These unvetted people who we cannot trace had access to the personal information of anyone who has filled out a 77R in Maryland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom