• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    Does anyone who is taking over the cases he was representing the NRA? He was doing a lot of cases for them. More to the point does this mean Dave Thompson and the rest of the Kirk Cooper team are gone? They are/were representing the NRA in the Mass carry case among others.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...up-ousts-longtime-outside-counsel/2091478001/

In the apparent next phase of a continuing civil war within the NRA, the country’s most powerful gun lobbying organization cut ties with outside attorney Charles Cooper, the New York Times and both Washington Post both reported. Additionally, another outside counsel, Michael Volklov resigned, the Post also reported citing NRA spokesman Andrew Arulanandam. And the Times reported that a top in-house counsel resigned as well.

Cooper represented the NRA for the past three decades. He said in a statement provided to the Post: “At every turn, I have advised my client as to my best judgment of the steps that should be taken to advance and protect the best interest of the NRA itself.” He also said he had "adhered to the highest standards of professionalism and loyalty." And that his allegiance had been to the group itself “not to any individual officers or directors of the organization.”

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    This one confuses me a bit. Why would they cut ties with what appears to be someone they farmed out work to do, apparently over internal issues? Is this a financial decision, they can’t afford them?

My guess is they asked him to do something unethical. Cooper refused and they cut ties with him.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I get the impression that a lawsuit against WLP from NRA members might turn up some very interesting material in the discovery phase.

The impression I've formed is that he's had his hand in the till...legally, perhaps, but not ethically. And I suspect this is why he is so obstinate about not leaving. Any new EVP would be forced to conduct an investigation, which might turn up a whole lot of problems.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    My guess is they asked him to do something unethical. Cooper refused and they cut ties with him.

Someone needs to come clean about exactly what has happened to get so many people to cut loose, or be cut loose. Someone must have some hard facts and they need to make them known to the voting members. I can understand that a law firm might not be free to speak out but there must be some among those board members that could do so. It needs to aired out fast, not dragged out.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Someone needs to come clean about exactly what has happened to get so many people to cut loose, or be cut loose. Someone must have some hard facts and they need to make them known to the voting members. I can understand that a law firm might not be free to speak out but there must be some among those board members that could do so. It needs to aired out fast, not dragged out.

I think it's time the membership sponsored a full and complete third party audit. Financial, Management, Ethics, Process, the works. Stir up some sh1t, I suspect...

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    I still think a bunch of us that have given lots of money to them over the years should go there one day as a group to get answers.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/wayne-lapierre-abandons-illinois-gun-owners/

Wayne LaPierre Abandons Illinois Gun Owners
    In fact, without the NRA-ILA support, the trio of Guns Save Life lawsuits, including the one we won that blocked the Deerfield gun and magazine ban, likely would not have happened.

But when it comes to these lawsuits, we no longer have the NRA-ILA’s support. On Saturday morning, I got a call from our attorneys. They informed me that Wayne LaPierre had severed the relationship between the NRA and the Cooper & Kirk law firm. It seems NRA EVP and CEO Wayne LaPierre saw Charles Cooper as part of the so-called insurrection attempt against his not-so-benevolent leadership. In Wayne’s world, that meant Cooper had to go.

For our part, at least for the immediate term, Cooper & Kirk has told me not to worry about the bill. In the long term? We’ve already started scrambling to secure funding.

Thanks, Wayne. Don’t look for a Christmas card from Guns Save Life anytime soon, pal.

By abandoning the funding of lawsuits WLP is annihilating any remaining goodwill. I mean, what exactly is the point of having conservative pro-2A justices?

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    So we know Wayne has expensive tastes.

Is it beyond reason to think that Bloomberg got to him and turned him?

What better way to destroy your enemy than to corrupt it's leader to the point he alienates his followers to the point of no return.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Is it beyond reason to think that Bloomberg got to him and turned him?

Not impossible, but very unlikely. Even if it turned out to be true, the solution is the same as for WLP having gone off the rails entirely on his own: the NRA Board of Directors needs to find a replacement for him before the 2020 election season.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Not impossible, but very unlikely. Even if it turned out to be true, the solution is the same as for WLP having gone off the rails entirely on his own: the NRA Board of Directors needs to find a replacement for him before the 2020 election season.

Except he helped fill the executive board with, at least they are now, his cronies.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I don't think Bloomberg "got to" WLP, but the idea of corporate espionage (placed a mole in the NRA) is not out of the realm of possibility. How are all these things still leaking to the NYT and The Trace (Bloomberg funded propaganda).

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    It'll survive. I'm old enough to have read about the 1974 Revolt. The NRA leadership of that period was eager to cave on gun rights and try to become an outdoorsy group...and were shown the door by the membership at the NRA Convention.

What we need is a complete slate of candidates to replace the BOD members up for reelection. 25...and ONLY 25. The way the voting works, the highest vote-getters are elected, so we need to ensure that there's no fratricide. Make a clean sweep fore and aft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom