• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I've got a wierd question for you all. My wife wants a sword. Specifically, a katana style. I know absolutely nothing about these, so don't even know where to research.

Is there a good sword forum? Alternatively, is there a store nearby that stocks these? Or an online store that's reputable? I would rather get something well made if possible. Thanks.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I've got a wierd question for you all. My wife wants a sword. Specifically, a katana style. I know absolutely nothing about these, so don't even know where to research.

Is there a good sword forum? Alternatively, is there a store nearby that stocks these? Or an online store that's reputable? I would rather get something well made if possible. Thanks.

Did she just see the movie Kill Bill?

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Avoid the cheap ones made of stainless steel, they are not usable. Make sure the blade goes all the way through the handle where you can see wooden pins holding it in place. Also make sure the blade is thicker towards the handle. These are the easiest ways to tell if you have a fuctional sword or not. I'd recommend a Cold Steel katana but there are plenty of good ones to choose from.
    Ebay is a good place to see countless examples at any price point.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Make sure you tell her you cancelled the life insurance policy on yourself right after you purchase the sword.

And run like hell if you overhear her tell a friend: Hold My Beer.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I would look at a Cold Steel katana machete. Yes, I know it's not the same thing but for $30 you may be able to scratch the itch or at least make a better informed decision before you drop $300+ on one.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    A friend of mine who knows about swords says to be sure to get one that is "Battle Ready". I think that means it will stand up to at least moderate impact, and is a cut above (pardon the pun) costume swords. And most importantly, it will have a full tang that extends to the end of the grip.

If you get to the Rennaisance Festival in Crownsville, there are two vendors who sell swords on Tiltyard Path:

Badger Blades makes their own swords, and usually has some nice examples. Be sure to pick up some choji oil for your new blade. A vendor just to their left sells assorted swords and knives, including Cold Steel products. I have a Cold Steel Katana and a Wakasashi (and some other toys as well). All are well made, came razor sharp, seem to hold an edge well (although I don't duel with them). Cold Steel's website has lots of good info on different steel types and properties. Might be helpful for folks who aren't metallurgically proficient (like me).

Amazon sells some Cold Steel items for a discount, so it might be worth it to check them out after you make a selection. Good luck!

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Hah, thanks. We were just talking about the Renaissance festival being one place we could definitely find a sword.

Great ideas!

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    What's your budget? A good, forged sword will run you at least $400. And how tall is she? There's a formula for blade length versus height.

Just an FYI, the "katana" available at the RenFest are usually brittle stainless steel, which is fine for decorations but will snap if you use it.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD

Attachments

• IMG_2046.JPG
      IMG_2046.JPG
      14.5 KB · Views: 591

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Paul chen Hanwei, Ronin Dojo pro and Cold steel are probably the least expensive with a useable 1060 blade. I own a Hanwei, and it holds up well enough, used it for forms and Tameshigiri in a class years ago. The sky is the limit on price, especially once you get into damascus, but anything stainless will be dangerously brittle, cheaper steel or poor heat treatments will get damaged easier.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I acquired this one while I lived in MD but don't remember who made it. Replica of a Viking or Frankish sword from the Viking age. No real point but the double edge is very sharp. I sometimes take it out and chop down bushes. Never seems to lose its edge.

Viking style s.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom