• ...and so much more!
  • hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    On the eighth of November the angels were crying
    As they carried his brothers away
    With the fire raining down and the hell all around
    There were few men left standing that day

On this day in 1965 the 173 Airborne Brigade was dropped into War Zone D Vietnam on Operation Hump. There they were ambushed by over 1,200 Viet Cong soldiers. In the fierce firefight that took place 48 American soldiers were killed. After meeting a wounded survivor of that battle, Niles Harris, Big and Rich wrote “The 8th of November” to tell his story. The lyrics above are from that song.

As we approach Veterans Day I can think of no better way to recognize and honor the sacrifice of American servicemen than to set aside a few minutes to reflect on the events of that day:

youtube.com/watch?v=U7EPlqvMAfU

(A longer, documentary, video can be found by Googling Big and Rich 8th of November Documentary. It tells the story of Niles’ return to Vietnam to bury his jungle boots that he had kept as his only artifact of his time in country. This was part of his healing process and is well worth watching.)

The pain runs deep and continues long after the official battles are over. That is part of what we celebrate on Veteran’s Day.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I have always been fascinated with the Vietnam War , as a snot nose teenager i was curious and always was glued to the TV when something came on about it . God Bless all that served during that time and shed blood there and had friends die there .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom