• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2701Jim

May 5, 2011
    Northern Baltimore County
    Had 2 new Kohler toilets installed by Lowe's contractor a little over 2 years ago and now Both wax rings are leaking. Getting no sympathy from Lowe's or contractor (12 month warranty). Would attempt this myself but my 65 year old back says no. So looking for help from a fellow MDS member. Can be done anytime at your leisure. Can pay in Cash or Ammo. Thanks, Jim 410-666-0725 Home /410-274-4243 Cell

Last edited:

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    The only reason why the wax rings would be leaking is if the toilet is not solid and secured to the floor. Do the toilets move?

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Where is 21030 in Balt. Co?
    And like Don H said, only reason for rings to leak is if the toilets aren't anchored down tight. Can u rock the toilet side to side? Not the tank but the bowl part. If so tighten the bolts. Why do you suspect the ring, do you get water on the floor when you flush? If not it may be the spud washer from tank to bowl or the supply line.

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    Wax rings probably aren’t thick enough. The ones that come with the toilets usually aren’t.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I mold two wax rings together.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If the toilet flange is not on top of the flooring material, sometimes two wax rings are needed, although lately I’ve been using the waxless rings. Sometimes they work better than two rings stuck together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2701Jim

May 5, 2011
    Northern Baltimore County
    Rich1911 I believe is right on. I thought the factory rings looked skimpy when the installer was here but of course he said they would be fine. No line/tank or bowl leaks and toilets do not rock. Just small amounts of water seeping from under base. Should have help coming Tuesday 6/5. 21030 is Cockeysville but I'm closer to Timonium.

oharek

Jun 19, 2013
    Just a thought.....I'ts not the toilet tanks swetting, is it? Mine are sweating bad in this humidity. I'm too frugal (cheap!) to turn the AC on to stop it.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Im sorry I cannot help with the repair but I want to recommend you check one other thing based on my own personal experience. I replaced a wax ring in our master bath a while back because I thought it was leaking. My wife would find a teaspoon of water around the back of the flange and it would reappear after cleaning.

It turned out that water was seeping through the seal of one of the two bolts that held the tank to the base. I’m guessing the rubber gaskets compress overtime.

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    If you where closer and I havn't been working 6 days a week I'd help you out. Surely there has to be a member on here closer buy to help you out. I also noticed this post was from 5/15/18. Come on someone step up and help the man out if it's not already done

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    Yes, old wax rings were thin, replaced with thicker ones with flange that required me to sit on toilet (with pants on) to seat the toilet to the floor.
    Glad to help a fellow MDS'er. What a GREAT community

NOBODY

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom