• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I know a few of you guys have heard me tell how I was the victim of the break in's of my 2 adjacent houses in the Manchester area dating back to around 2012-2016. In addition, back in 2017 around $5000+ of Extension ladders, aluminum platforms and an aluminum brake were stolen from the side of my garage.

The criminals in both break in's were caught and were charged and even one was incarcerated. The other was sadly released with an anklet and monitoring from the Juvenile justice department and permitted to continue to live at his grandmother's house 2 doors away from me.

Also sadly, despite getting an original sentence of 10 years, but reduced to 6.5, the dad who committed the original burglary ultimately only served about 3 or 3.5 years of his sentence and once again, he was free to live two doors away with his mother - the grandmother to his now adult aged son who was responsible for the 2nd burglary. Of course, my ladders and tools were still on my land up until the dad was released from Hagerstown prison. I even questioned his PO on what he paid my restitution back with, money from my own tools?

Thanks for reading the background of why I now am asking for help. A couple years ago, a new neighbor bought my original house, so I warned him to be on guard because of what these criminal neighbors did to me. SO, Sunday, he called me and I could tell by his voice, that he was quite unsettled. He then tells me he caught a guy going into his wife's car which was parked right out front of the house. Our houses are only about 10 feet from the road and leave room for car contents to be easily seen by someone walking by. In this case, my neighbor says he questioned the guy as to WTF he was doing and got a good look at him. Not really knowing him or encountering him since moving in, he described him to me very well. He also called the Carroll County Sheriff and an officer responded. I believe he told me the cop questioned the perp and basically took no action. This is highly disturbing to me because not only does the perp have a lifelong criminal record, but he was released early on parole and apparently was entering into property (car) that was not his and the cop did nothing. Oh, yeah, when the neighbor( victim) asked the sheriff if MD was a Castle Doctrine State and what he could do about protecting himself and family, the cop told him to put up no trespassing signs.

Needless to say, I am extremely upset to not only have my current house, my old house but once again myself and new neighbor's family in positions of jeopardy from these criminals.

I contacted Senator Justin Ready to ask his advice since the police seemed to offer my good neighbor such little action. His response was to ask if he had called the Carroll County Sheriff's hotline.

MY initial thought is for me to dig up my paperwork on the Parole Officer's contact info, and to call them. In addition to give it to my neighbor and have him call the PO and explain what transpired when he found the guy, called the sheriff and got useless treatment. Also, I was not home and still have yet to be able to go check to see if anything is missing, damaged or any sign of someone where they don't belong.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    Put cameras up and make sure the thieves know they are there.

Last edited:

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Definitely have the neighbor reach out to the PO. Hopefully the neighbor has the name of the deputy that came out and can provide that to the PO as well.

Sadly he'd have probably gotten more action taken by letting the guy take stuff and filming it, then calling.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Times like this I’d love to place a bear trap in the car and just wait for the exquisite yell of pain. Not like setting traps in your own yard. Can also Hotwire the car handles. When these punks grab the handles they get the juice. No enticement there.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Dcoument, Document, Document.

Cameras a good. Until then, write everything in a journal, contemporaneous notes can be very helpful in the future.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    despite them wanting to take our guns away to supposedly reduce crime, when there is actual crime, little to no action is taken. hard to understand.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    How do you feel about dogs? Belgian Malinois, Rottweiler, Cane Corso, all make wonderful pets but they do require some exercise and they can work up quite the appetite.

Be safe.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    Not victim blaming here, but make sure to lock your doors and don’t leave valuables in plain view.

This goes for everyone, everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Document. Dont confront him. Keep calling the police. Keep calling the parole officer. Make all your neighbors aware of the situation. Eventually he'll have a revocation hearing.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Definitely have the neighbor reach out to the PO. Hopefully the neighbor has the name of the deputy that came out and can provide that to the PO as well.

Sadly he'd have probably gotten more action taken by letting the guy take stuff and filming it, then calling.

Not victim blaming here, but make sure to lock your doors and don’t leave valuables in plain view.

This goes for everyone, everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Document. Dont confront him. Keep calling the police. Keep calling the parole officer. Make all your neighbors aware of the situation. Eventually he'll have a revocation hearing.

Thank you guys. I found the Parole Officer's number on my phone. I also spoke to the good neighbor again. He thanked me for reaching out to Senator Ready and to him to provide helpful info. So, after calling him again today, I asked him to clarify a few things. He did confirm that he confronted the guy, asked him why he was going into his car, then after a BS answer, he said he told him he was calling the cops as he walked away back to where he came from. The police came in around 15 minutes and went to investigate. The officer gave him a report and his card/info. So, the neighbor has all that. He also told me his cam was on the fritz, so he was getting replacements.

I will pass on what you all say about documenting things and to pester the hell out of the PO and police till we get a revocation hearing.

Thanks.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    While going through the investigation and trial processes from the prior burglaries to my homes, I had to fill out victim impact statements.
    MY statements went along these lines. I can no longer live a peaceful life in my home, my property, my neighborhood due to the crimes and criminals living almost on top of me. I mentioned how if I was cutting grass, working on a car, playing with the dog or kids in the front yard, I now had to make sure my front door, car, windows are all locked up in whatever area is out of sight, and then if I go to the front of the house, I have to always make sure the back is locked. On top of that, I have to fear retribution and or foul play 24/7 and never drop my guard, even if this means arming myself even if the law of MD says I can't openly carry on my own property and just shoot the guy unless I am actually in peril. AS a result, I am barely at my home any longer, I now have almost all objects of significant value elsewhere, and what little I do have there, is locked up. The saga continues for me. I will keep all of you posted once I hear from the law. Thanks

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    While going through the investigation and trial processes from the prior burglaries to my homes, I had to fill out victim impact statements.
    MY statements went along these lines. I can no longer live a peaceful life in my home, my property, my neighborhood due to the crimes and criminals living almost on top of me. I mentioned how if I was cutting grass, working on a car, playing with the dog or kids in the front yard, I now had to make sure my front door, car, windows are all locked up in whatever area is out of sight, and then if I go to the front of the house, I have to always make sure the back is locked. On top of that, I have to fear retribution and or foul play 24/7 and never drop my guard, even if this means arming myself even if the law of MD says I can't openly carry on my own property and just shoot the guy unless I am actually in peril. AS a result, I am barely at my home any longer, I now have almost all objects of significant value elsewhere, and what little I do have there, is locked up. The saga continues for me. I will keep all of you posted once I hear from the law. Thanks

You can carry on your property, open or concealed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    But you cannot shoot someone simply for breaking into your car or stepping on your property. MD is a Castle Doctrine State, its just does not mean what people want it to mean.
    Is that legal advice?

Thought so. Your castle is your curtilage including the area around your house. Use good judgment, protect what is yours.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Is that legal advice?

Thought so. Your castle is your curtilage including the area around your house. Use good judgment, protect what is yours.

You dont have to retreat, but Maryland pattern jury instructions for self defense: "...[Defendant] believed that [he] [she] was in immediate and imminent danger of bodily harm." Generally you may not use deadly force simply to defend property. CCW permits... oh the irony. So if they break into your car, make sure they are coming at you with a tire iron or something before you shoot them.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Is that legal advice?

Thank you brother GTO. When I was in the midst of the trial and sentencing of the then minor perp of my 2nd burglary, I discussed my concerns for my well being, and the ever present fear of bodily harm. Since I lived alone and had no idea if the 15 yr old neighbor had accomplices or school buddy hoodlums bent on revenge or adding to their haul of my loot, I had to repeat my concerns to the District Attorney once I found out the STATE's sentence amounted to a slap the kid on the wrist to wear his anklet while living 2 doors away, and only leaving the home to go to school, and drug tests etc.
    I brought up my compulsion to only be present at my residence if I had guns to protect myself. The reply of the State's Attny was to do what I felt I needed to do. My interpretation of this is, if the Known criminal, or any of his criminal associates were trespassing on my property uninvited, I had reasonable cause to fear mortal harm. I will leave the rest of my actions to interpretation.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    But you cannot shoot someone simply for breaking into your car or stepping on your property. MD is a Castle Doctrine State, its just does not mean what people want it to mean.

I understand that, I was merely referencing the ability to lawfully carry on your own property

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    rbird, I think danb knows what you meant. I sure did. I also know one has no cause to shoot someone for property defense. BUT as was said, if a perp is armed and dangerous and I am in imminent danger, they better be ready to be shot. Now if only I can put my weedwacker down fast enough to grab my 45.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom