• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    I filled out the application today. Although it is nice to walk into a gun shop or gun show and walk out with a handgun. Sadly they transfer fees here are high also. 40ish per gun. Its worth it if I buy one C&R and have it delivered.

bobwilley

MD Wear/Carry Permit G19
    Feb 4, 2018
    Delmarva Peninsula
    Ok, I am a MD Collector status,
    but am contemplating getting an C&R while I reside in Maryland.

I find it confusing on the status of C&R Handguns, say a WWII 1911 or a 1920's Colt .32

Am I able to buy/order and have shipped directly to me Handguns under a C&R License to my Maryland address?

Mostly interested in Handguns
    that is what I collect generally.

I do have a MD HQL and a MD Designated Collector
    and also a MD Wear/Carry Handgun Permit (Also have NH & FL Handgun permits)

Sorry if this has been asked/answered before, I did not find it clearly stated. You can point to those answers if they are available.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Ok, I am a MD Collector status,
    but am contemplating getting an C&R while I reside in Maryland.

I find it confusing on the status of C&R Handguns, say a WWII 1911 or a 1920's Colt .32

Am I able to buy/order and have shipped directly to me Handguns under a C&R License to my Maryland address?

Mostly interested in Handguns
    that is what I collect generally.

I do have a MD HQL and a MD Designated Collector
    and also a MD Wear/Carry Handgun Permit (Also have NH & FL Handgun permits)

Sorry if this has been asked/answered before, I did not find it clearly stated. You can point to those answers if they are available.

Only the Federal C&R License (FFL-03) permits shipment direct to you. That's because it's an FFL-to-FFL transfer. You provide the seller with a copy of your FFL before ordering; they ship a copy of their FFL to you with the weapon for your records.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Not this again... Well, I guess it's been 6 months since we last discussed it...

Let's just say I'd rather go through the hassle of being 100% confident in the transfer, then living in the grey area...

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I fully disagree with that one. Maryland does not govern what happens outside their state line.

But Federal Law does ...

You can disagree all you want. Be the test case. I dare you.

Federal Law deals with interstate commerce. Two Maryland residents going to another state to avoid Maryland Law is t interstate commerce. By advocating that, you do a disservice to Law-abiding people.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    When out of state you are not in the jurisdiction of the fine state of Maryland. Fwiw, that’s my .02.

Unless you identified a MD law that says otherwise. :)

vincelm

Aug 25, 2018
    change of address

Does it make sense to get the license if I am planning a move in the next year or so? Will the change of address go smoothly?

WildBill

May 7, 2017
    Does it make sense to get the license if I am planning a move in the next year or so? Will the change of address go smoothly?
    Yes, I just moved at the beginning of the year and I got my updated license a few weeks after sending in the correction

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It makes sense if you think that you might buy a C or R firearm from an out of state seller in the next year. Military surplus weapons are not falling off trees anymore. The address change is a simple form and is processed quickly.

That’s my understanding. Just understand while the address change is processing and you’ve moved no one will ship to your new address until you get your updated license.

It is $30 for the license and takes about 4-6 weeks (probably closer to 6). From my understanding updates take more like 2-4.

I’d just go ahead and get it. I’ve bought 8 C&Rs (1 wasn’t through the license (CMP) and 1 didn’t really need to be (long gun at a gun store out of state, but it did save me the $5 PA background check fee and maybe 10 minutes of time).

That was since May...

Last one was a week ago. I think it’ll be months until I buy another one, but I’ve got options having one. I’ve done most of my buying spree of stuff I’ve wanted that was out there. There are certainly some other pieces I want, but they aren’t currently available. Maybe they’ll turn up at some point. Probably some day.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I don’t want to read through a ton of pages so I will ask here. My C&R expired in April of 2017. I didn’t renew and now I wish to again. Is there a way to renew with the license I already have or do I go through the entire process again?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom