• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    What are you all using for hunting packs?

I bought a Military type knock off from Amazon with all the webbing loops. I have upgraded it to hold my quiver on the left (1/2" EMT in the loops and the quiver snaps on and off), Turkey chair under neath. Bottom of the back is where my rolled up bibs go and jacket over it for the hike in and not sweating. I clip my quilted over boots on and inside is a host of stuff with knifes, head lamps and so on. The 1" webbing and snap clips make this so I can carry everything but the crossbow and gun on my back, but its hard on the cheaper one

The shoulder straps are just sewed into the top seam and the weight is pulling it apart. Stitched it up for now, but its not going to last. I think I need to go to a frame type pack but these Military packs are outrageously expensive and can't find an affordable one on Cabelas I like with enough webbing loops on it.

Suggestions? Some of the ruck sacks are just way too damn big

acwatkins

Aug 29, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Subbing as I’m looking for a new pack for next year as well. This year I did as much minimalist hunting as possible. Fanny pack held all I needed; knife, flashlight and headlamp, range finder, harness tree loop, and climber pull rope. Perfect for short hunts or when I used the climber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Mine is a camel pack type thing. That was a waste cause I just use water bottles anyway. I don't drink till I'm on my way back to the car.
    All I'll say is I have Vaseline on my zippers to quiet them down. NO VELCRO!!!!

DrSeuss

Mar 28, 2013
    I'm pretty new to hunting but I just started using a Tenzing TX 7.2 fanny/waist pack. I'm on private land so my walk-in is short so I just need to bring water, snacks, and my field dressing kit. When I'm in my tree stand or blind, I swivel it to the front so I have easy access to stuff. If I had a longer hike-in or I had to pack out quarters, I'm sure I would upgrade to a more traditional style back-pack. My only complaint is the water bottle pouches are pretty tight so I switched to a skinnier bottle that is easier to slip in and out.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Sorry... I saw the thread title and the first thing I though was this....

cc75f8fdbfc590f0e84c9837ff3c80f8.jpg

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I use Kelty packs for just about everything. EDC, hiking, hunting, travel. I have Kelty Redwings, Redtails and MAP 3500s and they are all fantastic packs. The MAP 3500 came with me to the stand this year. No, the MAP isn't 3500 cubic inches. It's 2300 inches. Carried water, ammo, knife, snacks, 1st aid, and extra insulation layer without a problem. Compression strap minimize the unneeded bulk. Spec Ops Brand also makes really great gear. I love their Recon Ruck which is basically a modern medium ALICE pack.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I guess I should be more clear. I really like the molle loop setup and want a daypack that can handle the weight, of my turkey chair, bibs, jacket and other associated gear. Maybe I need a frame pack, but I am not sure. I am not sure most of you read my criteria as noting you guys posted had molle setups.

I really don't think a small day pack should be over $75 and seeing some of these ruck sacks that are way too large for a hunting day pack at $125 to $170 are a bit much. I don't want the side packs or several compartments. I just want a strong back pack with Molle straps to hang all the extra crap on and free my hands. The one I have now is like a Swiss gear size, in woodland camo and has molle straps on it. Its perfect, except not built to be a cool looking computer back.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Its a pretty simple pack, I want one like this, but stronger, tougher. That $22 bag might be alright, but I worry its just the same as this one, which was $30.

I am just hoping to find one someone has used one that can handle the abuse. I would say loaded its easily 20# to 25# so more than most packs can handle for extended use.

Attachments

• Hunting pack.jpg
      Hunting pack.jpg
      78.3 KB · Views: 282

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    On another thread, squirrel, where are you bugging out too? If SHTF, I am staying in and I have always been confused with this "Bugging out" around here in Maryland.

"Dude, I'm heading to Liberty Reservoir and hunkering down in the woods." I guess its different in the country as I know the hard working, gun toting, neighbors I got. We would all work together and survive or fight were we are. I mean, where are you all going to go, or bug out too?

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I inherited a bunch of ARMY ALICE/web gear in basically new condition from my dad.
    It's heavy but I can't beat the price: free.
    The few times I carried a full pack (other than a fanny pack) it was a good old ALICE large or when I needed an orange one I got one made by Kondos outdoors.
    I also have a medium ALICE pack but I haven't really used it.

I've also worn the ARMY combat fanny pack - the one with shoulder straps.
    It's light and love the way I can hang whatever kind of pouch I want off the belt.
    The ammo pouches are great for just about anything small.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I use Kelty packs for just about everything. EDC, hiking, hunting, travel. I have Kelty Redwings, Redtails and MAP 3500s and they are all fantastic packs. The MAP 3500 came with me to the stand this year. No, the MAP isn't 3500 cubic inches. It's 2300 inches. Carried water, ammo, knife, snacks, 1st aid, and extra insulation layer without a problem. Compression strap minimize the unneeded bulk. Spec Ops Brand also makes really great gear. I love their Recon Ruck which is basically a modern medium ALICE pack.

I really like my Kelty. I have been using it for a decade or more for waterfowling and it still looks really good and works really well. I like it so much, that I was disappointed that Kelty no longer offers anything like it on its website. So, I had to look around on e-bay for a while. Ended up finding one almost like mine and I bought it for my son. Actually got it, a seat/cooler, and a shoulder bag, all new old stock, for $83 shipped.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I inherited a bunch of ARMY ALICE/web gear in basically new condition from my dad.
    It's heavy but I can't beat the price: free.
    The few times I carried a full pack (other than a fanny pack) it was a good old ALICE large or when I needed an orange one I got one made by Kondos outdoors.
    I also have a medium ALICE pack but I haven't really used it.

I've also worn the ARMY combat fanny pack - the one with shoulder straps.
    It's light and love the way I can hang whatever kind of pouch I want off the belt.
    The ammo pouches are great for just about anything small.

I have an army butt pack in woodland and one in Multicam. They are great for warm weather and going light. I have one or two canteen Molle covers for carrying water on it. Knife, dressing kit, first aid, tags, a snack and a light weight camo baselayer shirt. Not what you are looking for or course.

When I go heavier I take my Midway light weight day pack. No Molle, but it holds a fair amount (20 liters? Maybe 18). They make a slightly larger Molle covered one for a few bucks more. 2nd year using it and it is holding up well. Can’t fit my parka in it, but even crushed down my park is probably 15+ liters. Maybe if the main pocket was completely empty. I just tie it around my waist. It can fit my bibs rolled up in to it with my stool tucked in next to it on the side. A couple of canteens on outside pockets, snack, paracord, dressing kit, etc. everything that fit in my butt pack.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    There is a lot of surplus miltary MOLLE gear on the market due to changes in the camo patterns. The 3 day assault pack was dimped on the market in large quntities supposedly because it lit up like a christmas tree through night vision. It may be bigger than what the op wants but you don't have to fill it up to use it. It has a pocket for a camelback insert and routing for the hose. Inside there is an long webbing strap that is for parachute use sort of like a leg drop bag. It can be useful for raising and lowering it from a stand. Of course it has MOLLE webbing all over.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    some pics of your bags/packs with your various hunting gear would be real useful!

i just bought a 5.11 rush 72 backpack to hold my long range/precision rifle gear (shooting bags, rangefinder, mags & ammo, mat, etc). seems very sturdy but also pretty heavy with thick cordura. not sure if this would also work as a hunting pack, need to play with it. hoping to go on my first elk hunt this fall, and if successful will need something to help pack the meat out, although i suspect it will be at least a few trips back and forth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom