• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Cleaning..

If it's hard gunk.. I add water to the pan.. let it simmer for couple minutes... Then scrub using stiff brush.

Make sure re oil before storage.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    What is the best way to clean one of these when you are done cooking with it? I just bought a small Lodge to start playing around with and getting the hang of. I cooked eggs on it the other morning for the first time and it was a bit of a pain to get it clean. I know they say don’t use soap to clean them.

I have a set of my grandmothers I will break out once I get it figured out.

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but look up Kent Rollins on You Tube. He has several good videos on using and caring for Cast iron cooking equipment (Skillets, Dutch Ovens, etc.).

jtkendall

Jul 13, 2018
    Maryland
    I tossed an inexpensive lodge Dutch oven because no matter what I did it always seemed to rust. I used it a few times, making sure to rinse it out and completely dry it after cooking and it would still rust. Now wishing I had stumbled across Kent Rollins videos. Maybe there’s still hope for the skillet I still have.

slowpoke

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Annapolis
    Screwed around with sanding discs for a bit, then picked up a flap disc for the angle grinder. That was the ticket.

Cheap Lodge pan before:
    IMG_1994.jpg

After:
    IMG_2003.jpg

Time to season it.

NebTim

Leonidas likes Patriots
    Apr 11, 2018
    Marilandistan
    Screwed around with sanding discs for a bit, then picked up a flap disc for the angle grinder. That was the ticket.

Cheap Lodge pan before:
    View attachment 238428

After:
    View attachment 238429

Time to season it.

Looking good. So by grinding it down, you don't have to fill the crevesas with baked in food bits, if so, makes sense. I bet it was a lot easier and quicker to season the pan once it was much more smooth.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    If the Smithy Iron Ware is not pricy enough...

If the Smithy Iron Ware is not pricey enough...

https://butterpatindustries.com/

I have seen these in person and they are very nice, smooth and pre-seasoned. But, wow, the price.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Best place to find cast iron pans, is at yard sales and estate auctions. They are usually the old (better quality) pans and you can usually buy them for pennies on the dollar.

This. I still have one from Goodwill I bought a decade ago for $2 or something silly.

I wish Dutch Ovens were easier to find though. I finally broke down paid paid for a new one (that has a lid that can hold charcoal).

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    This. I still have one from Goodwill I bought a decade ago for $2 or something silly.

I wish Dutch Ovens were easier to find though. I finally broke down paid paid for a new one (that has a lid that can hold charcoal).

Walmart clearance is your best bet. I got a lodge for around $6 last year. I also got about a grand worth of camping equipment for $120 including the Dutch oven.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    For what it's worth, Smithey just came out with a really nicely polished eight incher. Yeah, it's right in line with their usual pricing. But my wife wants one anyway, and she's the omelette queen and, well, she's my wife and she lets me spend too much on guns and ammo, so...

https://smitheyironware.com/product/no-8-cast-iron-skillet/

Ouch.

Pumpkin spice chloroform .....

Of course my mantra is 'happy wife, happy life', so I get the expenditure

Of course the Walmart two-fer will work just as well ..... :innocent0

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Ouch.

Well, I will say that having and using two other Smitheys (as well as Lodge skillets and others), it would take a LOT of work for me to get a Lodge acting the same as the Smithey right out of the box. It's like every other form of tool improvement ... you chase diminishing returns with extra $, and eventually have to admit it's because of the aesthetics or, more likely, because wife. Considering we can't even get two good salads, a fancy pizza, and a bottle of digestible wine and a non-insulting tip for a hard working waiter without approaching $100 around here, I guess it's all relative these days.

NOTE TO SELF: Charge my own customers more. Everyone else is doing it!

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Well, I will say that having and using two other Smitheys (as well as Lodge skillets and others), it would take a LOT of work for me to get a Lodge acting the same as the Smithey right out of the box. It's like every other form of tool improvement ... you chase diminishing returns with extra $, and eventually have to admit it's because of the aesthetics or, more likely, because wife. Considering we can't even get two good salads, a fancy pizza, and a bottle of digestible wine and a non-insulting tip for a hard working waiter without approaching $100 around here, I guess it's all relative these days.

NOTE TO SELF: Charge my own customers more. Everyone else is doing it!

Add more lard to the Lodge pans :D

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Ouch.

It made my wife happy, years ago, to throw away my cast iron collection in exchange for a set of Calphalon hard anodized.

Came close to ending in divorce.

JoshN

Jan 23, 2013
    Maryland until I escape
    Best place to find cast iron pans, is at yard sales and estate auctions. They are usually the old (better quality) pans and you can usually buy them for pennies on the dollar. We cook almost exclusively using cast iron pans. A well seasoned cast iron pan can be as non-stick as any of those chemically coated newbie pans.

This. My wife inherited her grandmother's. I picked one up just for camping at a yard sale years ago for $1. No difference between them.

Odarlin1

Ultimate Member
    Best way I find to clean the iron skillet is to add water then put over a flame and let it boil. Use non plastic utensil to scrape debris loose, let it boil and then empty it out. Once that is done, use a paper towel to wipe it clean. My Mom taught me that years ago. She used the same iron skillet to cook everything. We never died.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom