• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    My 10yr old got this one for Easter. Its decently accurate and a fun plinker. The added safety seems a bit redundant on a single action revolver. His came with a 22lr cylinder and a coupon to get the wmr cylinder. For the price its worth it but dont expect it to be as smooth as a ruger rimfire.

Attachments

• 20190418_135001-600x800.jpg
      20190418_135001-600x800.jpg
      131.2 KB · Views: 451

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Softest shooting pistol I own. No real issues. I mean, for $120 or so.

May be selling mine for the new Ruger .22, the Wrangler.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Plus transfer of course. I think I"ve seen the wood grip ones in a LGS but don't recall which one.
    Got my dad one for xmas a few yeara ago but it does not get shot much to say anything about it.

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    I understand that Heritage is dropping prices due to the introduction of the Ruger Wrangler. For another $60-$80, I'll wait for the Wrangler.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Softest shooting pistol I own. No real issues. I mean, for $120 or so.

May be selling mine for the new Ruger .22, the Wrangler.

Yeah, that’s what it comes down to for me. Now if you’d leave it sitting somewhere as a pest gun, get it. If it’s something you be using more at the range, varmint carry gun or what not, I’d get the new Ruger Wrangler. Haven’t tried either. Based on the video reviews I’ve watched, the Wrangler is quite a bit nicer and probably with the cerakote finish going to be more weather resistant/wear better. When you are talking $60 price difference, that’s a nice dinner out for two. Seems worth it to me. Just like the price difference between the Wrangler and Single Six doesn’t seem worth spending $200+ more. The Single Six is nicer, but doesn’t seem THAT much nicer.

I am hoping to get a Wrangler soon.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    My go to gun shop told me that with the prices distributors have on the new ruger wranglers he will probably be selling them for around 150 including his markup once they are approved in MD. I wouldnt buy a heritage if I could get a ruger for 30 or 40 more.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    My go to gun shop told me that with the prices distributors have on the new ruger wranglers he will probably be selling them for around 150 including his markup once they are approved in MD. I wouldnt buy a heritage if I could get a ruger for 30 or 40 more.

Wow! That’s good news. That much more likely I can convince my wife to let me get one. She doesn’t like that I own any handguns, but with our new place I think she is seeing the necessity (in 5 weeks I’ve taken out 3 groundhogs and a raccoon and sooner or later I’ll connect with the large fox that’s been dogging our chickens). So it might not be a huge stretch to convince her to let me buy a cheap 22 single action handgun.

offthepaper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 7, 2007
    Harford County
    I bought one a couple years back for $100 without the 22 mag cylinder.
    I have to say, for a $100 pistol(I know they get a bad knock from some folks), Mine shoots surprisingly well, pretty accurate too.
    Is it a target pistol? Hell No!
    But I tell you, for spending time with the Granddaughter shooting tin cans with the Heritage and the Marlin 39A, it's brought me a lot of pleasure for a long time.
    $100 well spent. :party29:

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    What’s the point of .22 mag in a pistol? Are ballistics that different than .22lr in such a short barrel?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

God knows I really don't need another 22 handgun, but for $150 it'll be hard for me not to get 1

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    What’s the point of .22 mag in a pistol? Are ballistics that different than .22lr in such a short barrel?

22lr out of a 4” barrel is
    1200fps stingers
    1040fps minimags
    1120fps velocitors

22WMR out of the same 4” barrel are
    1350fps Maximags
    1500fps Maximag HP-V
    1250fps flextip expanding

Not sure on the 22WMR numbers I found, but the 22lr numbers I found seem a little low from other sources I found (about 5% low. So maybe they used a further away chronograph). So the WMR numbers might be a little higher in reality.

30gr vs 30gr, 22wmr has a lot more energy. A 45gr 22wmr is pushing >100fps more velocity than the most souped up 40gr 22lr.

22lr is pretty marginal in terms of penetration performance and of course not a very wide wound channel. 22wmr in 30gr brings enough velocity for some actual shock with ~1500fps velocity, though not very deep penetration. 40 and 45gr loadings are probably too slow out of a pistol for shock, but they are going to have deeper penetration that 22lr and possibly expand a little more also.

Anyway, I’d rather hit something with 1350fps and 40gr HP than 1200 or so FPS and 30gr.

That said, look at rifle numbers, 22lr velocitor out of a 16” is running 1435fps, stingers 1600fps. Maximags 1875fps and 40gr. Maximag HP-V is running 2200fps and 30gr.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    I bought one last year from JLowes. Built solid, shoots fine, no issues. Mine came with the 22 mag cylinder as well. Fit is great between the two cylinders. The safety is a little strange but I don’t use it.

Nice little Plinker. This is the model I bought.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsupers...lr2wmr-rimfire-revolver-with-4.75-inch-barrel

I have the same one with the extra 22 mag cylinder. It actually shoots quite well and I am happy with it. I might just have to also pick up one of the new Ruger's.

Just received an email advertising this one. It may be a blem, but for $95 shipped I don't see how you could go wrong.

https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=54453

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom