• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Sure does and no debate because stopping on the same road does not deviate so you are still" on the way to or returning from."

Personal choice as I said

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    Is says to or from specific places, there is no gray area that you keep wanting to debate. Going to jail for deciding to not obey the law is a personal choice, so is having to file for bankruptcy to have to defend that personal choice and stay out of jail for being a hard head.

:party29:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    One needs to examine legislative intent. The statute was designed to keep people from driving around with a firearm in their vehicle and claiming they had been to the range .

Not stopping to get gas or a burger on the same road.

Laughable IMO

But hey do what you like.

:sad20:

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    One needs to examine legislative intent. The statute was designed to keep people from driving around with a firearm in their vehicle and claiming they had been to the range .

Not stopping to get gas or a burger on the same road.

Laughable IMO

But hey do what you like.

:sad20:

Refresh my memory, where is your law degree from?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Most of my posts that involve legal issues contain the tag that IANAL. Guess what that means?. It was not offered as legal advice, just my opinion that you apparently either missed or didn't comprehend.

Maybe you missed that. :sad20:

4-203 mentions "On the way to or returning from"does not specify directly.

I have no issues stopping to get gas or grabbing a burger if it's on my route.

Personal choice I guess.

IANAL

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    One thing to keep in mind, especially the hunting provision. A lot of guys I know head out of the woods at lunch and grab lunch at a near by restaurant. That would almost certainly be a big no on the transport thing. Whether legal or not, I had the former game warden who taught my hunter safety class tell us he has seen (and personally) arrested guys for doing that kind of thing. Usually in conjunction with them be dumb enough they forgot to take their holster or handgun and holster off when they got out of their vehicle for a bite to eat.

Successful prosecution? Don’t know. Probably still screwed those guys over no matter the final outcome.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    ( Insert standard Biggfoot Statement # 1A , concerning 5 seperate discussions under the umbrella of a seeming single topic . )

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Here is my advice:

1. Don't wear a mask...

2. Don't drive with a beer in 1 hand & a cel phone in the other...

3. Don't throw shit out of your windows...

4. Drive safely & stay within the speed limits...

5. Check you car once a year to make sure that all the lights are working...

6. Put your unloaded pistol or rifle in a range bag or rifle case...

7. Put you empty magazines in your range bag...

8. Put you boxes of ammo in your range bag...

9. Put your range bag & rifle cases in the trunk of your car...

10. Think up a likely story of where you are coming from & where you are going to in case you are asked (PS Gun Ranges aren't open at 2:30 AM)...

11. Try not to have an accident...

12. Be polite if you do get stopped...

13. Life doesn't have to be all that complicated...

14. Policemen aren't out looking for you, they are trying to maintain public safety...

Don't over think this...

I have been following the above standards for many, many years...

Of course we stop for breakfast and or lunch each time we go to the range...

Keep your guns locked up, empty & out of sight & stay away from high crime areas...

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    One thing to keep in mind, especially the hunting provision. A lot of guys I know head out of the woods at lunch and grab lunch at a near by restaurant. That would almost certainly be a big no on the transport thing. Whether legal or not, I had the former game warden who taught my hunter safety class tell us he has seen (and personally) arrested guys for doing that kind of thing. Usually in conjunction with them be dumb enough they forgot to take their holster or handgun and holster off when they got out of their vehicle for a bite to eat.

Successful prosecution? Don’t know. Probably still screwed those guys over no matter the final outcome.

Very valid points, but my reasoning was that if you stop on the same route you use to go to or return from an approved event, IMO that would not violate the statute.

But of course YMMV and opinions differ.

Fine by me.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Don't over think this...

I have been following the above standards for many, many years...

Of course we stop for breakfast and or lunch each time we go to the range...

Keep your guns locked up, empty & out of sight & stay away from high crime areas...

You're going to jail Sarge.

:D

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Very valid points, but my reasoning was that if you stop on the same route you use to go to or return from an approved event, IMO that would not violate the statute.

But of course YMMV and opinions differ.

Fine by me.

Yeah, you’d probably be fine with that. I still generally go with avoiding those if I can help it. Then again I rarely go to the range long enough I feel really compelled to need one or more meals on the way to or from. And I rarely drive anywhere with so little gas I have to stop somewhere.

Just like FOPA is ambiguous on if stopping for gas, food or the night along your route would make you subject to the laws of the state you were stopping in. Me personally? I’d try to avoid stopping in a real liberal state if I was transporting. But sometimes you can’t.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    It becomes prohibited when they tell you exactly where you can go to and from.

No it doesn't. If it were not allowed it would be written in the law. Please stop reading things into the law that aren't there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom