• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have 3 modern bolt guns; a Tikka in 223, Thompson center in 243, and a Savage 10 in 308. My 223 and my 243 and can shoot nickel and dime groups at 100 yards. The 308 is all over the place; 2 to 3 inch groups. This is off of a rest on the bench and using a scope at 9 magnification (the 243 has a 16 power). The Model 10 has a Nikon that it came with.

I thought I was flinching as the light weight model 10 has a kick to it; so I got a limb saver slip-on recoil pad. The limb saver is extremely effective and now the rifle is truly a joy to shoot - but the groups are still in the 2 - 3 inch range at 100 yards.

Any recommendations? Last time I shot the 308 I was using 150 Grain FMJ-BT Fiocchi ammo.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Make sure your rings and bases are tight.
    Same with your action screws.

You're good here, try a box of Federal Gold Medal match ammo.
    All of the above...

While they are normally tack drivers, I have also seen several Savage .308s come through with unfinished throats, causing accuracy to suffer. The ones I had here at the school showed difficulty in chambering match ammo and the live rounds cycled through the chamber showed scratches on the bullet where it was an interference fit into the chamber throat.

psycosteve

Meme magic works!!!
    Sep 3, 2012
    Gentrfying the Hagersbush.
    Some of the things I would check out would be the tightness on the scope rings, the free float of the barrel or the bedding of the rifle to see if it is being supported in an uneven manner . A lot of times it is not the ammo but little conditions that cause inconsistencies in your shooting.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Factory rings/scope? I'd be suspect of those from the get-go. While they'll do the job for most guys just going out from time to time to bag a deer here and there, they're not really all that trustworthy (IMO) if you're going for small, repeatable, groups. Check those, make sure they're still snug. IIRC, 25 In/Lbs for the base(s), 40 In/Lbs for the scope rings

Wood stock? Make sure the barrel channel isn't touching the barrel, they can get distorted (over time) if the rifle is stored on it's side in a case with the bolt inserted. Not as common as it is with the flimsy plastic factory stocks, but it can happen. IIRC, the torque-spec for the wood stocks is 35-40 In/Lbs, loose action screws are not good for consistency.

730waters

Apr 20, 2013
    Rising Sun, Md
    The gun definitely has the potential to shoot a lot better. Try new ammo, Fiocchi isn't the best ammo, if you have a friend that reloads I would go that route. The scope and rings are something to look at replacing. I worked on an old Savage 10 in 7mag for a friend that couldn't do better than 3 to 4 inches at 100. I put a newer used Leupold 3.5 x 10, Warne rings, Timney trigger at 2.5 lbs and custom loaded some Nosler 140gn, Ballistic tips and now it will print 3/8" to 1/2" groups at 100 yards now consistently.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I had the same problem with my savage 308. It had a plastic stock. Eventually I noticed that the rear action (?) bolt had caused a hairline crack in the stock bolt hole. Now I have a new stock, but I havent had a chance to take it out and see if it makes a difference.
    I also had the accutrigger down as low as it can go. I'm going to increase it slightly.

Otherwise I'm just going to have to live with the fact that I flinch like a 6 yr old and that is what is screwing up the accuracy.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I had the same problem with my savage 308. It had a plastic stock. Eventually I noticed that the rear action (?) bolt had caused a hairline crack in the stock bolt hole. Now I have a new stock, but I havent had a chance to take it out and see if it makes a difference.
    I also had the accutrigger down as low as it can go. I'm going to increase it slightly.

Otherwise I'm just going to have to live with the fact that I flinch like a 6 yr old and that is what is screwing up the accuracy.

Try a limb saver recoil pad; the felt recoil will be on par with 243.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Well I'll be damned! All of the scope ring screws were loose; the ring halves I tightened to 25 inch pounds, and 40 at the base. The screw holding the stock needed to be tightened as well. The most obvious thing and I thought "no way that's the problem". We'll see how she does now :)

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Thanks guys - because this really is a cool rifle. Not a match gun - but just a nice do-it-all kind of rifle.

Attachments

• DSC_0124.jpg
      DSC_0124.jpg
      76.4 KB · Views: 264

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    How are they grouping? Are you climbing the ladder? Are they consistently shooting the same configuration? Do you shoot 2 good and then a flyer?

Pictures could help.

Good Luck!

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Shoot a few boxes through it and see what happens.

I also reread your OP and I'm wondering are you setting the stock on the rest or are you setting the barrel on the rest?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Good question - but I am setting the stock on the rest.

Is the barrel free floated or bedded?

You might want to try shooting with the rest under the action. No stress on the barrel.

How is the crown of the barrel? Check it for a burr or buggered rifling.

If all of that looks good, then maybe a few boxes of ammo through the barrel will help.

Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom