• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    might also want to look at the Walther PPQ IN 22LR. You can find tgem pretty cheap, and in my opinion it has one of the best stock triggers I've ever seen in a 22.

My ex had a problem with flinching when she shot a 9mm, but could hit bottle caps with a full size m&p 22 pistol. So we just loaded her 22 mags with stingers. My opinion is that its better to hit the target with a bunch of smaller rounds than miss with bigger ones

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    If you go with the above advice, take it literally because there are both Walther PPQ 22LR pistols (with 4 or 5 inch barrels) that are actual mimics for the Walther PPQ M2 -- and there are Walther P22 22LR pistols (with 4 or 5 inch barrels) that look a like a smaller PPQ. The former have fantastic reviews (e.g. check out the TTAG website for one), and the latter have horrible reviews for construction, ammo issues, etc. The bad thing is that the latter guns are sometimes mislabeled as PPQ models at internet firearm dealers. Checking the UPC number or ordering through an IP will help avoid a mistake.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    If you go with the above advice, take it literally because there are both Walther PPQ 22LR pistols (with 4 or 5 inch barrels) that are actual mimics for the Walther PPQ M2 -- and there are Walther P22 22LR pistols (with 4 or 5 inch barrels) that look a like a smaller PPQ. The former have fantastic reviews (e.g. check out the TTAG website for one), and the latter have horrible reviews for construction, ammo issues, etc. The bad thing is that the latter guns are sometimes mislabeled as PPQ models at internet firearm dealers. Checking the UPC number or ordering through an IP will help avoid a mistake.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I think we're going with the Ruger SR-22. The only walther ive seen in 22 was about 200 buck's. Not sure if that's the one your talking about but it was a good looking gun, she'd probably have to shoot it and like it better than the SR22 to want to switch.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I like .22WMR, but they have fierece muzzle blast, at least as much as typical SD centerfire cal. From the discussion, the noise is a major issue with wife.

If I'm incorrect, and recoil is the biggest issue, then consider a .22WMR with minimum 4 inch bbl .

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    I think we're going with the Ruger SR-22. The only walther ive seen in 22 was about 200 buck's. Not sure if that's the one your talking about but it was a good looking gun, she'd probably have to shoot it and like it better than the SR22 to want to switch.

Waiting on mine now. Another JLowe's visit soon for me. :innocent0

My wife refuses to shoot anything I own. I don't currently own any 22's. She did used to shoot the Ruger Mark II pistol, but it's been gone, so giving it another chance. She also hates the noise....and the recoil. Everyone I know who has an SR22, loves it. Hopefully, she feels the same way about it.

doublins

Dec 16, 2015
    AA County

As someone who owns and regularly carries either a 380 (LCP) or a 9mm (LC9s), and shoots both regularly, let me assure you that the 380, being so small and light, transmits more felt recoil and has more muzzle flip than the 9mm. In fact, smaller, lighter guns in general are worse. My favorite 'carry' gun to shoot is my SR9c, but being double-stack and significantly heavier and thicker than the LC9s, I rarely ever carry it.

To OP- I tried to get my wife to start with 9mm, and it was the wrong tack- let her shoot 22 for awhile- let her have a gun she 'likes,' so that she gets intimately familiar with it, and the mechanics of its operation, and proper shooting technique. Let good habits ingrain themselves FIRST, then she can upgrade. Starting her on something she's afraid to shoot, or just doesn't like shooting, will be the wrong idea.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County

You might want to spend a few bucks more on the SR-22 and get it with the threaded barrel so if you decide to get a suppressor, you'll be ready. If the Hearing Protection bill passes, the tax stamp will go away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    Well guy's, we're going to the range tomorrow and she's going to try the 380 glock that they rent out, I am hoping she loves it and loves the way it shoots so we can move past the 22, if not I'll be getting her the Ruger SR22.

I really really hope she loves the 380 round. It does have better ballistics than the 22 from what I've seen on YouTube.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Well guy's, we're going to the range tomorrow and she's going to try the 380 glock that they rent out, I am hoping she loves it and loves the way it shoots so we can move past the 22, if not I'll be getting her the Ruger SR22.

I really really hope she loves the 380 round. It does have better ballistics than the 22 from what I've seen on YouTube.

What's so bad about letting her get the gun she likes to learn with and enjoy first? :shrug: It's not like Hilary Clinton won't let her get another one ever again. Besides, you can't do this with a .380 https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=207579

Just my .02 but unless she raves about the .380 the same way as the SR22 you probly want to buy her the .22 or she is not going to join you at the range too often. Otoh if she likes the .380 you can still buy her the SR22 for her Birthday or Mothers Day( gave my wife a 10-22 then) and really score some brownie points. Happy Wife Happy Life.j

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom