• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cb51

I have a few "fancy" knives, but the one I carry every day is a cheap Old Timer, I got from my great grandfather. Sharpened so many times, there's a hook in the blade.

Those Old Timers used a 1095 carbon steel blade that got strait razor sharp with little effort and held it pretty good. Your grandfather got some very long term use out of it. People like your grandfather and mine were kind of responsible for me coming-out of my knife nut stage. I remember watching my dad, grandpa, and uncles do what they needed to do with those Old Timers and small Case pen knives and thought finally, what do I need more than them for? Kind of like going back to ones roots. If they went huntin' they used a huntin' knife. If they went fishing, they used a fishing knife. But they always had some little penknife in a pocket that was razor sharp, and they cut a lot of stuff with them.

My dad always used his little Christy knife for most of his cutting jobs.

Now that I'm a white bearded old fart, I get it.

Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    2nd attempt

Attachments

• 20170321_211741.jpg
      20170321_211741.jpg
      42.4 KB · Views: 417

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Here are my old and new "working man's knives." Note the serration "modifications" on the larger one. It's cut a lllllottttt of things over the years, including stuff it shouldn't have. Never me though. :D It's been taken out of everyday service because the lock doesn't hold too well anymore. I figured the smaller one as a replacement would raise less eyebrows going into schools. So far it's done just fine. I like to tell people that it is a tool, not a weapon and quote the Spyderco website with, "designed to cut things and not people," as I repeatedly jam the sheep's foot "point" into my palm.;)

Attachments

• rescues.JPG
      rescues.JPG
      111.1 KB · Views: 401

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    My dad always used his little Christy knife for most of his cutting jobs.

Now that I'm a white bearded old fart, I get it.

I love this knife. As much as i like my case and other "old timey" knives, I still carry a modern folder. Microtech, benchmade, spyderco... I'll get there one day, just not yet.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    I used to use a mini swiss army like yours, but I've since migrated over to these these two:
    - Leatherman Micra
    - Gold filled, unbranded Japanese stainless steel Masonic pocket knife. --JB

49cfce71d3e056f68a00a43b481ae1a7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cb51

I used to use a mini swiss army like yours, but I've since migrated over to these these two:
    - Leatherman Micra
    - Gold filled, unbranded Japanese stainless steel Masonic pocket knife. --JB

49cfce71d3e056f68a00a43b481ae1a7.jpg

I tried to like the micra, really. I bought one because it was only a bit bulkier than the Victorinox classic, but offered more tools in a heavier duty package. But for me, most the time I reached for my pocket knife, it was to cut something, and the 'inside' mounted knife blade of the micra was a PITA for me. The Leatherman squirt sometimes stands in for my little Swiss Army knife and I find it a lot easier to deal with as the knife blade opens on the outside of the tool. Don't have to open the whole thing to get at my knife. And I have found the small pliers surprisingly useful. And I still have scissors. The Leatherman tools sometimes go along to if I think I'm going to need something more 'rugged'. Otherwise the classic and the few items in my wallet like my old P-38 and a Victorinox quattro 4-way screw driver get used.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    I tried to like the micra, really. I bought one because it was only a bit bulkier than the Victorinox classic, but offered more tools in a heavier duty package. But for me, most the time I reached for my pocket knife, it was to cut something, and the 'inside' mounted knife blade of the micra was a PITA for me. The Leatherman squirt sometimes stands in for my little Swiss Army knife and I find it a lot easier to deal with as the knife blade opens on the outside of the tool. Don't have to open the whole thing to get at my knife. And I have found the small pliers surprisingly useful. And I still have scissors. The Leatherman tools sometimes go along to if I think I'm going to need something more 'rugged'. Otherwise the classic and the few items in my wallet like my old P-38 and a Victorinox quattro 4-way screw driver get used.

Sweet! Thanks for sharing, as I didn't know about the Squirt. I actually bought this Micra in a lot off eBay for $25, refurbished them, and sold most of them off and kept this one. I'll be sure to look out for the Squirt. Looks like the best of both worlds! --JB

cb51

Sweet! Thanks for sharing, as I didn't know about the Squirt. I actually bought this Micra in a lot off eBay for $25, refurbished them, and sold most of them off and kept this one. I'll be sure to look out for the Squirt. Looks like the best of both worlds! --JB

Yeah, they are both about the same size, but the squirt has a bit more real world use because of the 'outside' opening tools. The squirt bottle opener is a bit dicy because of the small size, and it takes a couple of bites to get a bottle cap off. Minor annoyance unless I'm REALLY thirsty! The flat Phillips driver on the squirt is finer than the micra for really small phillips. I'm tempted to take a file to it and make it a tiny bit blunter for more normal size Phillps. I don't know how important tweezers rate to you, but the squirt does not have them like the micra. But…the small pliers are so close fitting, the end of them fit tight enough that you can use them for tweezers in a pinch.

Both have advantages, but in day to day use, I found the squirt a bit more versatile. The small needle nose pliers did it for me. Great for fishing and small repair work on the better halts jewelry. :D

But either way, these small keychain size multitools have totally taken over from carrying a dedicated knife that is the proverbial one trick pony. I don't need to fight off Chinese paratroopers, nor do I get into quick draw contests with my knife. I think they qualify for the title of penknife of the 21st century.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    I have carried a Leatherman Sidekick for a couple of years and the 2 1/2" knife blade is used almost every day the needlenose pliers and screwdrivers are used often,back in January I lost it and bought another smaller Leatherman - inferior model- but mysteriously I found the original in the cargo area of my SUV and it is back clipped to my pocket once again.

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    Mine is this pocket knife. Had it for a couple years. Its cheap, sharp and used mostly for cutting packages and a letter opener. And i skinned a deer with it.

Attachments

• 20170323_164345.jpg
      20170323_164345.jpg
      93.2 KB · Views: 433

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    I always carry a Case 34OT that has carbon steel blades. The blades develop a nice patina after a few years and I think hold an edge better than stainless.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I've got a fairly nice selection of knives, mostly thanks to a friend of mine who is a collector. We've been buds for a long time, so he'll come over, the beers will start flowing, he'll have one too many, then he gets generous and gives me one of the new toys he's brought over to show me. He'll never take them back either - I'm currently carrying a SOG Spec Elite that he gave me one night, which matches the one he gave to my son on the same night - he had two of them with him. He's probably given me $1500 worth of stuff over the years and I keep all of it - as valuable as some of it is, I can't just sell off these things he gave me out of the goodness of his heart.

With all of that said, one of my favorite knives that came from him I actually traded him for - I had picked up a pair of liner lock knives of some design or other through CRKT - the larger one, and a smaller one, and I traded him the smaller one for a Smith & Wesson Baby SWAT. It's not fancy - it's a basic liner lock with a standard blade (no serrations) and aluminum scales, and it isn't even fancy steel - it's stainless, but I think it's only 440C. It was always just a nice knife though - a good design, big enough, but still small enough to be compact - just a nice knife. My son currently has it, but his daily carry is the same as mine now - the SOG Spec Elite.

The S&W Baby SWAT
    SW2001-3.jpg
    miniswat.jpg

The SOG Spec Elite
    SOG-Spec-Elite-I-SE-14-600x480.jpg

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I'm a balisong fan. There aren't many designs that can be opened quickly with 1 hand, lock open AND closed, have a solid and strong lock, feature large blades, and are as fun and cool. A T-latch BM42 was one of my first good knives, and I EDC-ed it for years. I've carried a lot of other good blades, but kept going back to the Bali. Ended up wearing out the original blade, but Benchmade replaced it for $30 a couple years ago. I still carry it, either in a sheath, or the watch pocket in my jeans. Couple years ago ended up buying a BM51 to join the 42 in my EDC rotation to help keep the now collectible 42 nice, I love it, it's a more EDC-able knife, and a worthy sucessor.
    20170331_222155.jpg

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Most used knife I have. Still somehow still sharp though haven't sharpened, ever, used pretty much daily on cardboard, tape, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_1855.jpg
      IMG_1855.jpg
      64.8 KB · Views: 335

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'm a balisong fan. There aren't many designs that can be opened quickly with 1 hand, lock open AND closed, have a solid and strong lock, feature large blades, and are as fun and cool.
    This is all of that, and I guarantee that it's a stronger design all the way around. As for fun and cool, it's a knife - for me it's meant to be used. Cool is ok, but it doesn't have to be fun - it just has to be useful.

The SOG Spec Elite

Last edited:

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    This has recently replaced everything as my EDC knife into the city...

spyderco%20butterfly%20stainless_zpsjbgyquxi.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

spyderco%20butterfly%20stainless3_zps20vnflws.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    This is all of that, and I guarantee that it's a stronger design all the way around. As for fun and cool, it's a knife - for me it's meant to be used. Cool is ok, but it doesn't have to be fun - it just has to be useful.

The SOG Spec Elite

My Brother has one, cool knife, but larger and heavier with a shorter blade, hard to say if it's actually stronger than a zen pin Ti bali, also doesn't physically lock closed. I have a lot of good BM, ZT and Spyderco folders, and they have their place, but I don't trust them to keep closed as much when carried strong side back pocket(holstered pistol taking up my front pocket), or when riding a motorcycle. Flippers and autos are a really bad idea to carry like that, being the flipper is aggainst the side of the pocket and the blade is free to pop open, wave knives and even thumb studs can catch when moving around on a seat, or could pop open in a slide, so pretty much leaves my custom 550HG and Spyderco manix2 folders and the balisongs. Unless I'm carrying something to show off, a fixed blade, or am not pocket carrying and definitely will not take a bike out, those specific folders are rotated as my EDCs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom