• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sandeman

Jun 19, 2008
    Pasadena
    One day I will pony up the money for Colt firearms.They are the standard Ar.I collect calibers.It keeps me busy.Iwould enjoy learning to reload.

Our hobby has so many avenues for knowledge.I enjoy all my brothers on here.Thanks, for the education.

Last edited:

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Just checked my 6920HBPW and the upper has the square mark but no "C" or cage code. It has the m4 in front.

Also has the H buffer so it looks like I'll make a call to get the H2 buffer.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Post some pictures of that puppy. I don't think most folks know about them. I'll post a few of mine over the weekend.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Post some pictures of that puppy. I don't think most folks know about them. I'll post a few of mine over the weekend.

I should have taken some pics while I had it out. Since it's going to be sitting, I've made it extremely inconvenient to access. When I get in my stash again I'll snap a few.

My son got one about a year ago and his has the keyhole/C combo. Its interesting to see the differences.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    This thread came to mind the other day. A guy I know was moving and wanted out of his small gun collection. 80's Colt AR15 with the 20" HBAR, .223 only, came home with me for a song. Unfired but no box.

Schweet!! Post some pictures of that jobber please!

Been a while but here it is. Pretty sure its unfired. Not a full auto BCG. No factory muzzle device but the previous owner gave me the flash hider it came with.

Attachments

• 20191004_223823.jpg
      20191004_223823.jpg
      126.6 KB · Views: 504
    • 20191004_223830.jpg
      20191004_223830.jpg
      66.4 KB · Views: 564
    • 20191004_223839.jpg
      20191004_223839.jpg
      90.8 KB · Views: 485
    • 20191004_223850.jpg
      20191004_223850.jpg
      106.8 KB · Views: 503
    • 20191004_223923.jpg
      20191004_223923.jpg
      94.9 KB · Views: 480

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Schweet! That was made between 1985-89. It should have a peel washer and an A2 flash hider. Get those put on there and you're golden. Good for you buddy!

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Up next is one of the last 6721's. In case all the various model numbers confuse you (they sure confuse me), the 6721 was the 16" heavy barreled semi-auto carbine. Production ceased sometime in 2017. If you look back to the beginning of this article, the first three we looked at were earlier versions of the 6721. Over time, these changed in many little ways ranging from quickly noticeable things such as stocks and handguards to barely noticeable things such as markings. At its core though, the 6721 stayed essentially the same; that is to say a collapsible stocked 16" heavy barreled carbine with M4 cut feed ramps. Let's take a quick look at this one.

First up is the left side:
    P1180653_zpsnkli0gv4.jpg

And the right:
    P1180652_zpskigrzsah.jpg

Notice there is no carry handle. That's how it left the factory. By the time this carbine was made (probably in 2016), Colt had stopped supplying carry handles because most people were chucking it in favor of mounting optics on the picatinny rail anyways. So why not save a few bucks and delete it? Instead, you get a Magpul MBUS rear sight. It works just fine I guess but I prefer a carry handle. You have to remember, I'm old. An AR is supposed to have a carry handle.

A closeup of the left side of the receiver:
    P1180656_zps7voev2ba.jpg

Note that the serial number is engraved instead of stamped. There is also an engrave Data Matrix thingee (Some folks call it a QR Code I think) behind the "COLT DEFENSE" mark. I guess it contains information such as the model number, serial number, nuclear missile codes and stuff like that. It's just gibberish to me.

Right side:
    P1180665_zpsevv7e1ij.jpg

The "C" on the upper receiver is stamped. Earlier upper receives had the "C" cast into them so they were raised. Another detail that differentiates these later models is the front takedown pin is actually a moveable takedown pin instead of a screw as seen on earlier models. "FIRE" and "SAFE" are stamped and not engraved. You can also just make out the nice staking for the buffer tube castle nut.

The stock is a typical late model Colt "waffle" stock. I say "late model" because, while this design dates back to 2002, the details changed over time. Earlier versions had no markings to speak of but late ones have both Cage Codes and a medallion blank spot. A what?? I'll show you in a second. First up are the Cage Code markings:
    P1180671_zpsklrp8drj.jpg

We're looking at the right side of the stock where the length of pull adjustment lever is. the number in the front, 4U486, tells us that it was made by P&S Products Inc. in good ol' Lexington Kentucky. It's hard to make out but to the rear of the P&S Cage Code we see Colt's Cage Code, 13629. Soooo, we knw who this stock was made by and who it was made for. YaY!!! Knowledge!!

Towards the far rear right side of the stock, we see a large circle molded into the stock:
    P1180670_zpsyyqucqyd.jpg

This is the medallion blank spot I was talking about. When you look at some AR-15's sold/made by other folks (Ruger Smith & Wesson, etc.), you'll see their logo in this spot. I assume P&S sells to other companies as well and will remove the blank circle from the mold and replace it with logo is required for that contract. Earlier waffle stocks lacked both this round blank and Cage Codes. I don't know exactly when these stock attributes started showing up but it can help determine whether or not your Colt carbine has had its stock replaced. I wish I could give you exact dates BUT Colt is pretty stingy about sharing information. All I can tell you is that earlier waffle stocks should lack these features. You just need to learn through experience.

Here's a closeup of the Magpul rear sight:
    P1180674_zpsq2mttqx7.jpg

It's well enough made and it even has two sized of aperture but it's plastic (sorry....polymer) and I'm old school. All bias aside, it works just fine.

Detail shot of the upper receiver markings:
    P1180675_zps2djd2zln.jpg

Remember, earlier carbines have a raised "C" while late ones have a stamped "C".

he front sight is still "F" marked at this point:
    P1180676_zpsuuzaooul.jpg

Judging by the M4A1 Socom and 6920HBPW models, the "F" mark has now gone the way of the Dodo. Since fixed carry handles are far in the rearview mirror at this point, why would you need it, right?

Barrel marking:
    P1180680_zpsaqutagua.jpg

This marking seems to now be gone too as the latest barrels have Colt's Cage Code instead of the "C" mark.

Typical A2 flash hider secured with a crush washer:
    P1180681_zpsjpt6jrfq.jpg

"M4" mark at the front of the upper receiver:
    P1180684_zpsesqr74xa.jpg

Standard "H" buffer:
    P1180687_zps4u3z9gje.jpg

The bolt is still "C" stamp marked:
    P1180688_zpspjlacfh2.jpg

This marking is now gone too. On the latest rifles, if it's present at all it's done by some sort of sloppy engraving method. Refer back to the US Property Marked M4A1 I posted and you'll se what I mean.

The "MPC" mark on the bolt:
    P1180692_zpsben1qaxl.jpg

Closeup of the markings on the right rear of the lower receiver:
    P1180693_zpsvc3hk2v2.jpg

The space age barcode doohickey is clearly engraved. "FIRE" and "SAFE" are clearly stamped. I can't say about the manufacturer's mark but I think it's stamped/roll marked.

Detail of the markings on the magazine well:
    P1180694_zps1fogw6ny.jpg

The serial number is engraved but the rest is still an old fashioned roll mark/stamping.

The barrel is dated April of 2016:
    P1180696_zpsbocehndx.jpg

Upper handguard removed showing the heavy barrel:
    P1180699_zpsdmi6ouda.jpg

You can clearly see the double lining in the "M4" handguard to help dissipate heat.

Both handguards removed showing just how thick the barrel is on the 6721:
    P1180701_zpsevo4xgge.jpg

I've not noticed this "W" mark before:
    P1180702_zpsrrqtn0cb.jpg

It's on top of the barrel at the rear and just in front of the barrel nut.

You ALWAYS have to be careful of what you read online. I've read again and again that ALL Colt M4 handguards should have the heat shields glued in place. Clearly, that is inaccurate as can be seen in the pictures below:
    P1180703_zpsbniyrond.jpg

After removing the inner heat shield, you come to the outer heat shield:
    P1180704_zpsb5git976.jpg

All you need to do to remove the heat shields is to GENTLY squeeze them to remove them from their retaining slots. DO NOT gorilla squeeze them or you will bend them.

Better yet, pay attention to what is stamped on them and DO NOT REMOVE:
    P1180710_zpskm56wyxp.jpg

Just so you don't have to, I've done it for you. If you remove both heat shields, here's what you'll see:
    P1180709_zpsreviskgt.jpg

Pretty boring stuff. Just leave your heat shields alone and enjoy them as is.

This one is marked "CAV 5", which tells us it came rom cavity 5 of the mold:
    P1180706_zpsc7hevdkg.jpg

A detail of the texture on a late model Cot M4 handguard:
    P1180707_zpsktbak5ej.jpg

I post this because handguards are often switched out. Colt handguards, while not actually made by Colt, are specific to Colt. There are certain details that you will only see on Colt supplied hand guards. I advise you to do some research and you'll learn what to look for. Again, experience is the best way to tell what you are looking at.

In the next post, we'll look at a 6920HBW. Why Colt made it, I don't know. What I DO know is Colt didn't make very many and they are pretty interesting. Check back for some pictures of that one. I think it's neat. But then, I think they are ALL neat. See you in a bit!

Last edited:

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Nice info, good pics. Informative and thanks!

FWIW, I am up in years as well and it seems sights should be metallic. That said, some AR group did drop tests of the metal and Magpul back up sights. The poly units actually retained zero much better. Probably because of their resilience and elasticity.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Some 6721's, like this one, have this roll mark, and an LE prefixed serial number.

Attachments

• receiver.jpg
      receiver.jpg
      63.7 KB · Views: 2,296
    • 20170301_182339.jpg
      20170301_182339.jpg
      35.4 KB · Views: 1,161

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    This next Colt is the LE6920HBPW and it's something of an enigma. These started showing up sometime in 2017 and continued to be shipped out in very small numbers until (most likely) September of 2019. The weird thing is that, as far as I can tell, Colt never advertised them in any way. When we look at the box, we'll see that it is clearly it's own model but they seem to have been sent out to dealers mixed in with regular LE6920's. In other words, you couldn't call Colt and specifically order one of these. When you placed an order for a plain jane 6920 you would most likely get exactly that but you also might end up getting a 6920HBPW instead. Some guys were VERY happy to get one and some were upset. Personally, I wanted one from the time I was aware of them and sought one out.

SO what's the big deal? Well, let's take a look at the box first:
    P1180748_zpstlfuthcr.jpg

Our first clue that something is different is the model number suffix, "HBPW". It's assumed that this means "Heavy Barrel Pinned Welded". In essence, the barrel is a true military M4A1 14.5" barrel with an extended flash hider attached just as seen on the "US Property" marked M4A1 SOCOM model. In fact, as we'll see in a bit, the entire upper is a genuine M4A1 upper with standard M4 handguards and a Magpul rear sight.
    Also notice that the serial number prefix is "CR" and not "LE". So, both this model and the M4A1 SOCOM model share a common serial number "block" which complicates any effort to ascertain how many of either model were actually made. A standard 6920 uses the "LE" prefix.

Next up is the left side of the carbine:
    P1180749_zps8vzqned1.jpg

Unlike the Magpul magazine shipped with a standard 6920, the HBPW ships with a Colt GI aluminum one. I much prefer that. Notice too that, instead of the usual front sight base mounted sling swivel, this model comes with a side mount swivel.

The right side:
    P1180750_zpsimom3oca.jpg

A close up of the upper receiver markings:
    P1180752_zpsfrb91cpk.jpg

In addition to the forge mark, we see Colt's Cage Code 13629 clearly stamped. The rear sight is a polymer Magpul MBUS. While these work just fine and are by all accounts excellent sights, I would prefer the all metal MaTech. But hey, that's easy enough to switch out were one so inclined. I'm never shooting this so what do I care?

Left side of the lower receiver:
    P1180757_zpself2pty0.jpg

Excuse the smudges please. This was bought for collection purposes so I left it as it came from the factory. Selling at right around $1100, this model is an excellent alternative for someone who wants a shooter with the well known accuracy of the M4A1 barrel without the collector's price tag of the M4A1 SOCOM model. At its core, it's the exact same firearm other then the rear sight, handguards, ambidextrous safety, magazine well markings and a few other small details. BUT, if you're trying to build an M4A1 SOCOM clone, you might as well buy that model to begin with as you'll have as much invested in the end and you still won't have the "US PROPERTY" markings. Of course, with Colt not currently selling to the civilian market, who knows what prices will be tomorrow let alone a year from now. All I can tell you is buy it when you see it because prices are likely only going to go higher.

Detail of the weld holding the extended flash hider in place:
    P1180758_zpsfbnybz7m.jpg

Some might not like that they didn't clean it up. As for me, I like it just the way it is.

A side shot of the above:
    P1180775_zps5wnphy5d.jpg

Here, I've put a glare on the left rear receiver markings to highlight them:
    P1180760_zpsbankxbfh.jpg

The selector settings are clearly stamped but the UID code and manufacturer's mark look to be engraved.

Magazine well markings:
    P1180761_zpsfhzqbrng.jpg

The serial number is engraved but the rest is the once ubiquitous roll mark. However, by now I would assume ALL markings are engraved because Colt said some time back that they were moving to completely engraved. Progress!!!......sucks!

The selector markings on the right side of the receiver are stamped as well:
    P1180777_zpszgzi7ptl.jpg

Note no tick mark on the safety axle.

The stock on this one, while almost definitely made by P&S Products, lacks any markings:
    P1180759_zpszmw59j5j.jpg

I've also seen these with P&S Cage Coded stocks and blanked out roundel stocks so there is most assuredly variation. It wouldn't be a Colt if there weren't variations!

These come standard with an "H" buffer instead of the "H2" supplied with the SOCOM model:
    P1180763_zpsyeqdouph.jpg

For semi-auto firing, that'll work just fine.

The bolt carrier is "C" marked:
    P1180764_zps9qtnkupp.jpg

The bolt has the white paint mark:
    P1180765_zpsmbcibewz.jpg

I have yet to see this on a SOCOM model but that doesn't mean they don't exist. In fact, I'd bet they do.

MPC mark on bolt:
    P1180766_zpsq3qk3ing.jpg

Again, I've left the factory storage funk in place or I could have gotten a better picture. Sorry about that.

I've removed the handguards in this picture to show you the barrel profile:
    P1180771_zpslyonrpgz.jpg

This is not your standard 6920 pencil barrel but rather a genuine M4A1 SOCOM barrel complete with M203 cuts. Schweet!! I didn't post a picture of the marking on the front sight base but there is no "F" mark. Colt has stopped marking them because A2 fixed handle uppers are long gone at this point so there is no need to differentiate. All Colt front sight bases are to be considered "F" type now.

Of course, the upper receiver is "M4" marked:
    P1180773_zpstk35eczw.jpg

Standard military barrel markings:
    P1180774_zpstgezql2s.jpg

This barrel is dated August of 2018:
    P1180776_zpsvixbabbu.jpg

And that's it for this post. The HBPW is actually pretty rare and, while I haven't shot one, I'd be willing to bet it's a sweetheart at the range. If you manage to find one at a reasonable price ($1100-1200), my advice is to buy it because you might not see another. See you soon with yet another Colt!

Last edited:

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    According to the Colt representative I spoke with on the phone, they included an "H2" style on the SOCOM because that's what it was supplied to the military with. I can only surmise that they supplied the HBPW with the "H" version because that's what comes standard with a typical carbine.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Next up is a pretty nifty specimen; a Colt Model 639:
    P1190020_zpsmxbwvrul.jpg

P1190021_zpsmyiawqbn.jpg

Developed in the mid 1960's as a 5.56MM "submachine gun" for the military, the design interested the government enough that small numbers were procured and the designation XM177E2 was adopted for field trials. Because of the extremely loud report resulting from the 11.5" barrel, Colt designed a special muzzle device that was a combination noise and flash suppressor. Measuring about 4.5" in length, it was NOT intended to be a suppressor as we think of that term today but rather a device for bringing the noise level down to that produced by the standard 20" barreled rifle. The contraption worked as intended but it could not be disassembled for cleaning and the rather intricate internal design tended to quickly clog up with carbon thus reducing the noise reduction capability to nil. But hey, you still had a cool looking flash suppressor! The Model 639 also featured a lightweight aluminum collapsible stock, making the design even more compact. Although the little "submachine gun" showed great promise and quickly became a favorite of special forces troops, the winding down of the war in Vietnam cooled government interest in the project and neither standardization nor further orders were forthcoming.
    Still, Colt had dumped a lot of time and money into the 639 and intended to continue production, hoping to attract export sales. Unfortunately, after some had been sold commercially on the US market, the BATF decided that the flash/noise suppressor qualified as an NFA item, meaning it had to be registered independently from the rest of the carbine (I'm calling it that from here on because, realistically speaking, that's what this thing is). For civilians, that meant a $200 tax stamp for the carbine and another $200 tax stamp for the muzzle device. Those who had previously purchased a 639 had to either retroactively register the suppressor, turn it in, or destroy it. Many chose option two or three effectively reducing the already very few produced to very, very few intact as they originally left the factory. The end of the Model 639 came when the Carter administration decided that suppressors could not be sold abroad meaning no export sales for the 639. At that point, Colt had finally had enough and ceased production.

Okiedokie. Now that we know what we are looking at, lets take a closer look!
    Here's the left side of the receiver:
    P1190022_zpschsndxcu.jpg

And the right side:
    P1190024_zps4tlmlt0c.jpg

As we look at the details of this carbine, keep in mind that, at its core, its just a standard 1970's select fire AR-15. Other than the markings, the only significant differences between this and a standard 20" barreled rifle are the shortened barrel, the muzzle device and the carbine stock.

A closeup of the magazine well markings:
    P1190054_zpsa24knkdk.jpg

I'm not 100% sure but this might have been the second one made. Note the non-reinforced pivot pin area.

Manufacturer stamp detail:
    P1190055_zpsftpngfv2.jpg

I have no idea why there is what looks like paint spatter behind the bolt release and on the upper receiver. That's how it was bought so that's how it'll stay.

Typical A1 reinforcing (or lack thereof depending on your perspective) at the rear of the receiver:
    P1190058_zpstprwdo1j.jpg

P1190057_zpsxpbktcrf.jpg

A detail shot showing that this example has typical full fence lower receiver and the earlier style ejection port cover door:
    P1190056_zpswz7ivy69.jpg

Colt and forge marks on the upper receiver:
    P1190041_zpsi1yuqoun.jpg

Standard A1 rear sight:
    P1190042_zpsillsiyy0.jpg

P1190043_zpsjaxrqtdz.jpg

Tear drop forward assist:
    P1190025_zpsfk6d3juj.jpg

Pivot pin detail:
    P1190060_zps302zltwh.jpg

Again, this is all standard 70's era Colt.

Castle nut staking:
    P1190032_zps1kl8qo0c.jpg

Colt usually (but not always!) does a really nice job with this detail and this is an specimen is an exemplary example of that.

As can be seen on the bottom of the buffer tube, the stock has two positions; extended for use or non-extended for transport:
    P1190031_zpsfpxyfbeb.jpg

The multi-position sliding stock would come much later.

Left side of the stock:
    P1190033_zpsihv0y1yd.jpg

This thing is made of lightweight aluminum with an epoxy-like black coating. This stock seems to be highly sought after today and there are many reproductions and fakes floating about. This one is 100% guaranteed original so I'm posting these detail shots to help you figure out what you are looking at when you run across one for sale.

Right side:
    P1190034_zps7drmguah.jpg

The little bump below the lower sling slot is a blemish in either the coating or the metal underneath. Notice that the overall finish is ever so slightly orange-peely too. If it looks too perfect, it's probably fake. If it looks too shoddy, it's guaranteed fake.

Inside showing zero finish, just bare aluminum:
    P1190035_zpsuwdqhr4e.jpg

Top:
    P1190036_zpsrk3mqqog.jpg

Looking at the hole in the middle of the stock you can see that the finish is glooped on pretty thick.

And bottom:
    P1190037_zpskpw8izvn.jpg

Notice that the inside of the adjuster lever is devoid of coating other than some spatter:
    P1190038_zpstwkwwokg.jpg

The rear showing that the crosshatch pattern, while probably pretty finely rendered if seen bare, is looking pretty vague and diffused due to the thick coating:
    P1190039_zpsqte0l09u.jpg

6 hole carbine handguards were standard on the 639:
    P1190044_zpsu9bj0960.jpg

Notice the nicely finished front sight tower showing no sign of a forge line.

Interior heat shield:
    P1190051_zpsuvfr3v7v.jpg

Although I didn't capture it properly here, the front of the sight tower is as well dressed as the rear:
    P1190045_zpszvzwge59.jpg

Handguards removed showing the barrel profile and gas tube bend:
    P1190050_zpsthfdofkh.jpg

The barrel is marked on the bottom just forward of the front sight:
    P1190059_zpsrmv6sffy.jpg

It has both a chrome plated bore and chamber. The twist rate is 1/12. As can clearly be seen, the bayonet lug has been removed form a standard front sight tower.

Detail view of the front handguard retainer:
    P1190053_zpsc2zpwj37.jpg

<-----continued in next post----->

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads