• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have been thinking about a pump action 22 LR. The Henry is nice, but I like the more modern style of the Remmy better. The Henry seems to be a better value. Which one do you guys think is the better rifle?

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    So here is what I like about the Remington 572:
    1. Better iron sights. If I got the Henry I would have to replace the sights. Admittedly not an issue if you are going to scope it.
    2. Curved pistol grip; don't care for the straight pistol grip on the Henry.
    3. You can disassemble the Remington. Henry does not want you to take their rifle apart at all (I am going by the owners manual for each).
    4. I like the looks of the Remington; I am not buying this for an 1800's re-enactment and the Henry looks old fashioned with it's octagonal barrel.
    5. Has a reputation for being accurate.
    6. Has a reputation for having the smoothest pump action available for a rimfire.

What I like About The Henry
    1. Better value. Probably just as well made as the Remington.
    2. Has superior customer service.
    3. Has a reputation for great accuracy.
    4. Can get the Henry in 22 Magnum.
    5. Has an external hammer.
    6. Shorter barrel and OAL making it a bit handier.

I am kind of leaning towards getting the Remington 572 in 22 LR and then getting the Henry in 22 Magnum some time later - still mulling it over.

Last edited:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I am kind of leaning towards getting the Remington 572 in 22 LR and then getting the Henry in 22 Magnum some time later - still mulling it over.

I don't know if this has persisted, but for a period of time the Henry pump in 22Mag (less so in 22LR) had a lot of problems. It was on my list at some point until I started researching it. I ended up getting other kinds of 22Mag rifles (lever, bolt, semiautomatic) that scratched this itch.

I do have a Remington 121 Fieldmaster pump in 22S/L/LR. The triggers on these are a bit mushy, but they're meant to be small game hunting, tin can hitting rifles using iron sights, such that one doesn't really notice the trigger vs the fun you're having. The earlier model Remington and Winchester pumps are a slim, nimble, and even graceful design. One can usually find a serviceable Remington 121 in the $350-450 range if patient.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Have also heard of issues with the 22mag and Henry pumps. Maybe an issue with the cartridge and feeding in the pump. 22lr doesn't seem to have the same feeding problem.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    This is a personal preference obviously, but as much fun a 22LR pump can be, I like the Browning BL-22 lever a bit more (and I have Winchester 9422 levers that exude wonderful craftsmanship and build quality). New shooters love this rifle. The short throw lever and light weight make it a joy to use. It's ultra reliable as well. The pump is a bit less smooth, not as quick, and can have an occasional feed problem when shooting fast if you short stroke. Never had an issue over thousands of rounds with the BL-22.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I had a Remington 572 BDL deluxe My father gave me when I was younger and it worked flawlessly. Accurate too. Sadly, I no longer have it.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    This is a personal preference obviously, but as much fun a 22LR pump can be, I like the Browning BL-22 lever a bit more (and I have Winchester 9422 levers that exude wonderful craftsmanship and build quality). New shooters love this rifle. The short throw lever and light weight make it a joy to use. It's ultra reliable as well. The pump is a bit less smooth, not as quick, and can have an occasional feed problem when shooting fast if you short stroke. Never had an issue over thousands of rounds with the BL-22.

I see Browning has a BL-22 model with a 16" barrel . How's the trigger on the it? Of course none of these are going to be match triggers.

[EDIT] Found a YouTube stating it was about 6.25 pounds. The Remmy has the same trigger as the 870 (if I understand correctly) and that's about 5.5 pounds.

[EDIT 2] Ok - the 16" barrel model has a 12" LOP. I am young at heart, but not that small.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I see Browning has a BL-22 model with a 16" barrel . How's the trigger on the it? Of course none of these are going to be match triggers.

[EDIT] Found a YouTube stating it was about 6.25 pounds. The Remmy has the same trigger as the 870 (if I understand correctly) and that's about 5.5 pounds.

[EDIT 2] Ok - the 16" barrel model has a 12" LOP. I am young at heart, but not that small.

Yeah, as you discovered, the shorter barrel one is the junior model with the shorter length of pull.

The trigger on my BL-22 isn't bad. I think they use an upper threshold in their literature. I think mine is a bit lighter than advertised, in the 4-5 lb range. Very easy for a young teen to make aimed hits without getting distracted by the trigger pull. I have a Browning T-bolt (also Miroku factory built) that's probably 3 lbs or lighter even if the website tech specs are higher.

I've attached pic below with the Browning BL-22 (22 S/L/LR), Winchester 9422M (22 WMR), and maple stocked Browning T-bolt Sporter (22 WMR), from left to right, respectively. Underneath is a pic of the Remington 121 Fieldmaster (narrower forearm, but longer with a 24 inch barrel if memory serves).

9ffcc53a9be948e92da9d65b3453e028.jpg

14485ed5c05ff901ab34a41e99c49905.jpg

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    I have both a Rem 572 and a Golden Boy (plus a Rem 552). I love all three. The Rem 552 was my first gun, way back in 1962. Bought with paper route earnings... Each is a great shooter. The Rems needed a bit of TLC in the form of polishing the 'action area' due to some rough tooling marks to improve feeding, and I replaced all the springs about 8 years ago, which improved functionality. Bought the Golden Boy from a member here not too long ago, and it's a great addition to the family; I did add a Skinner peep sight that I like a lot more than a scope (scope looks out of place on this gun IMHO). I use the Rems for varmit control and plinking; Henry is just a plinker so far. Not sure what I'm going to take on this years' squirrel hunt, it's been 552 shooting shorts for many many years, will probably depend on the weather since the Golden Boy is so pretty... :-)

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    It would be nice if Henry builds a larger frame rifle for 357 and 45 LC to compete with Uberti’s Colt Lightning clones

Regret selling an IMI Timberwolf and not buying it back on 1st refusal

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have both a Rem 572 and a Golden Boy (plus a Rem 552). I love all three. The Rem 552 was my first gun, way back in 1962. Bought with paper route earnings... Each is a great shooter. The Rems needed a bit of TLC in the form of polishing the 'action area' due to some rough tooling marks to improve feeding, and I replaced all the springs about 8 years ago, which improved functionality. Bought the Golden Boy from a member here not too long ago, and it's a great addition to the family; I did add a Skinner peep sight that I like a lot more than a scope (scope looks out of place on this gun IMHO). I use the Rems for varmit control and plinking; Henry is just a plinker so far. Not sure what I'm going to take on this years' squirrel hunt, it's been 552 shooting shorts for many many years, will probably depend on the weather since the Golden Boy is so pretty... :-)

Great story! :thumbsup:

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Based on comments from Fidelity, I REALLY want a grade II BL-22. I am trying to hold out until Christmas, we shall see if I have the discipline to do that.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Based on comments from Fidelity, I REALLY want a grade II BL-22. I am trying to hold out until Christmas, we shall see if I have the discipline to do that.
    I don't think you'll be disappointed, but it might be hard to wait. Sometimes CDNN has a special on BL-22 rifles, typically in the November to December period.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    I have the Henry pump 22 lr. I bought it at a gun show on impulse just like most of my firearm purchases. I did have to send it back to the factory for some repairs on the bolt. I can’t recall what exactly the issue was but it was definitely catastrophic.

It is a handy little rifle. I have a little 4x bushnell on it and it’s plenty accurate. I was really surprised how well it shoots the agula ss. It’s a subsonic 60 grain bullet on a 22 short case for those who didn’t know. I’m not sure the twist of the barrel but it does well. They are fairly quiet and hit hard.

My friend had the rem fieldmaster growing up and it was butter smooth cycling no matter how dirty it got. The Henry seems to get pretty sticky when it’s gunked up. Thats not really a con as most repeating 22s require a good cleaning to keep running smooth.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I don't think you'll be disappointed, but it might be hard to wait. Sometimes CDNN has a special on BL-22 rifles, typically in the November to December period.

I forgot about this thread. The BL-22 has bubbled to the top of the list as we approach Christmas. You guys talked me into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom