• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    I've never posted anything like this, but I did allow someone I met here to try out both my Ruger MKIII Hunter and Browning Buckmark Target at the Damascus IWLA to see which he liked better.

So, here it goes. I have a Glock 21 with a few mags and I've always wondered what a G21SF felt like in the hand. I can shoot the G21 just fine, but a somewhat (1/8") smaller frame, from front to back, may feel better. I'd like to be able to use my mags, so I think I'm limited to Gen3, as I believe they only have the retaining notch on the right side of the mag (and the rectangular window showing the liner on the front).

Anyhow, if anyone sees a G21SF at a store within easy drive of Germantown, please send me a PM. I've seen some police trade-in G21SFs online, and if the grip works better for me, I'd love to pick one up.

Thanks in advance for any help with this! :beer:

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    You can use your Gen 3 mags in a Gen 4 21 if you don't switch the mag release to the other side. The Gen 4 and the SF are suppose to have the same grip size, and Gen 4's may be easier to find. In MoCo, I think both Engage and United have Gen 4 in the shop. United even had one on consignment for a really good price when I was in today.

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    That's great news about the older mags being compatible! IIRC, the smallest, or base grip without additional backstrap, on the Gen4 is equivalent to the Gen3 SF, correct? Still not sure if Gen3 or Gen4. I'd probably do a little research on greater production numbers in order to find parts in the future, but I have a feeling that won't be a problem with either. I think regular non-LEO civilians in California are still limited to Gen3, so my feeling is those will be around for a long time. My other Glocks are all Gen3s, and none of my 1911s have used double recoil springs and they worked just fine.

I have pretty big hands, so the G21 doesn't feel like a 2X4, and the difference may not make much of a difference at all, but I'd like to try one out anyway. I may take my G21 frame and leave in the car, and ask the guys if I can take it in the store to compare. Haven't been to Engage since they were in Kensington, and have never heard of that other store.

Not every pistol can feel as good in the hand as a CZ75 or a SigSauer P220!

Thanks for the quick replies!

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I had a Gen 3 21. I have huge hands.

I sold it and bought a Gen 4. Huge improvement.

Just my .02... get a Gen 4.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Have fairly large hands and own a 21SF...

One of my favorites, and the ONLY Glock I have bought (out of 5), that I didn't dislike & get rid of, nor ever plan to.

If you're ever in the Freestate range area on a weekday, shoot me a PM, and I'd gladly let you shoot mine.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The "short frame" designation is not entirely accurate, the tiny difference in trigger reach is probably less than a thin pair of shooting gloves would make. The big difference is in the backstrap shape/swell, it is reduced on the SF/gen4, and seems to reduce the grip angle a bit, putting it right around a doublestack 1911's 18 degrees, and more familiar for those of us that started out on other pistols. For me personally, all gen3 and non-SF pistols point high, and take more work to keep good grip alignment, so every GLOCK I own is a gen3SF or a gen4. The gen 4s do have some worthwhile improvements, mainly the mag release and recoil spring setup. The coax recoil spring on the 4s is really nice, gives a consistent feel across a wide range of power levels, runs light 185s reliably, but also handles 230+p just fine also. My 3rd gen pistols took a heavier spring to cut down on some of the "slap" with really hot loads. The grip texture is much improved also, the 3rd gens are kinda slippery on the sides, but have edges that can chew your wands on the front/backstraps, 4th gen are rough enough to get a decent grip, but not uncomfortable. You can add backstraps to get 3rd gen or beavertail grip shapes if you like, but I prefer it without. Trade-in on older models, especially non-SF is kinda poor, so if you like it, and shoot it well, I would keep it, and if you want something a bit different get a 4th gen in another configuration. Would probably end up costing you $300+ just to swap out for a newer pistol, that more than pays for sending it out for grip work if it was that bad.

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    Have fairly large hands and own a 21SF...

One of my favorites, and the ONLY Glock I have bought (out of 5), that I didn't dislike & get rid of, nor ever plan to.

If you're ever in the Freestate range area on a weekday, shoot me a PM, and I'd gladly let you shoot mine.

A Big THANKS for the offer, but I can't remember the last time I was up that way. Your Chevelle is one of the cars in my dream garage, btw. A fried had one in high school...good times! :thumbsup:

Alucard0822, thanks for the additional info. I had read the biggest size difference was towards the pinky, where the hump is. My HK USP45 has the double recoil springs, and a much thinner grip due to the fact the mags aren't plastic covered, but I shoot the G21 as good as the USP45. I also prefer the arched mainspring housing of the 1911A1. The G21 grip does fit and allows me to control the pistol. I just want to see whether the SF or Gen4 (now that I know I can use my mags) feel better, because in a double-stack .45, even a small change could make a big difference. If they don't feel any better, I'll be even happier with the G21. If they feel noticeably better, then I'll make the swap, regardless of price, or just hold onto both.

As for my smaller framed Gen3s, they're not going anywhere any time soon. I appreciate all the feedback on the grip sizes, but I don't compete, or carry, so grip muscle memory is not that crucial to me, especially since I want to continue enjoying other handguns that are even less ergonomic than the G21. I have shot alongside people who will not hold or grip handguns that are not theirs for fear of messing up their muscle memory; I'm not that kind of shooter.

My two favorite, off the shelf, centerfire, auto-loader "grips", or better said "ergonomics," are that of the CZ75 (original or B, hard plastic. I'd love to find a hard plastic or G10 grip with the shape of their factory rubber grips) and SigSauer P220 .45 (hard plastic, with a preference for the checkered), followed closely by a SigSauer P226 (either texture, hard plastic).

I hope everyone has a great week!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I have XXXL hands . A standard G20 is shootable , but feels mehh . The SF actually fits medium- good . ( 10mm & .45acp same frame sizes .)

The CZ-75 does have a nice grip , almost as good as the Browning Hi Power grips from which the Czech's blatantly and admittedly tried to copy .

And the best grip shape of the traditional SIGs is the P225 .

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    So, I was able to visit Engage during a lunch break, and even though they didn't have any G21 (Gen3 non-SF), I did compare a Gen4 G20 (with no additional backstrap) with a Gen3 G21 SF and the primary difference I felt was the grip texture (the SF had the most common Gen3 texture). The Gen4 may be ever so slightly thinner at the top of the grip, where the webbing of the hand goes, which is my main area of concern, or the one place where my G21 could improve (for my hand). Grip texture aside, it was pretty much a toss up. I plan in returning there with my G21 to compare it with one or both of the other two. I liked the store and both of the guys who offered to help seemed nice and knowledgeable, and I found out that MSP is actually approving some stocked AKs, "as long as they're not in 7.62," which is good news!

Biggfoot44, I really like the BHP too; it's smaller and thinner than a CZ75, and the one I own (MKIII) is one of my most accurate factory pistols. With that said, in terms of design, it shares very little with the CZ75, which appeared much later.

I hope you all have a great week!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom