• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • notional

MDS Supporter
    Ever since I've moved to MD (my wife and her family lives in MD, so I do now - originally from PA and VA), I'm just appalled, as I'm sure a lot are, of the pricing that is being charged for long guns here in MD, compared to our border states.

I'm interested in a certain long gun. It's not banned in MD, but in checking and comparing several stores here in MD, and pricing in our border states, I can save myself over $500 going to a border state.

I think I've resigned myself to drive the extra few hours to Dodd's Sporting Goods in WV, to save that money.

I guess my questions are-

What is your experience in doing this?

Has anyone dealt with Dodd's? Your experiences with them?

Thank you in advance.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Be careful many border states FFLs may not sell you any firearm because some of the convoluted laws in MD. Hell I went to Asheville, NC and a couple of shops in TN and they wouldn't sell me a a Mossberg 590 because of the fact I was from MD and they "did not want to get into trouble, possibly." That being said I am sure there are people here that will recommend some out of state FFLs that are well versed in MD laws and want to make money.

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel
    Try GymRatz or JLowes to see what their price is. If WV is still cheaper then take the trip.

You can buy long guns out of state as long as it is MD legal and goes through an FFL. Since you are using a shop I assume they are an FFL.

bigjoegood1

King Lurker
    MDS Supporter
    May 2, 2005
    Behind enemy lines
    In briefly checking GymRatz, their prices look pretty decent. I'll have to give them a call. May save me a trip. Thanks for that one.
    Be very careful with Gym Ratz, you'll see good deals posted but when you get there you'll find even more deals!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

notional

MDS Supporter
    Spoke with someone at Dodd's and they have no problem selling to a Maryland resident.

But Gym Ratz is the way to go.
    Thanks for the Dodd's info. And upon further checking...I'm impressed with Gym Ratz.... I'll have to get my list together and give both of them a call. Either way, I'll be driving a couple hours. Thanks again!

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Keep in mind, operating costs are significantly higher in Central MD than elsewhere. labor costs higher, real estate prices/rentals higher etc. etc. Also -people have more money and are less price sensitive. I see prices all the time in Northern VA, and the prices are about the same (NoVa operating costs are as high as Central MD).

If you go outside central MD, you find much better prices.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Dodd's Sporting Goods, 103 Maple St, Ellenboro, WV 26346, Phone: (304) 869-3200 - I came across them on Gunsamerica. Prices seem very good. I'm about 3.5 hours' drive away from me.

Since it looks like you'll be going through Clarksburg, if you go, be sure to get a few pepperoni rolls at Tomaros.

http://tomarosbakery.com/

th

kaliroger

Jul 20, 2018
    Frederick County, MD
    Try UnitedGunSales. You can buy online from them, and pick up in their store in Rockville MD in a few days. Their prices are pretty good, and you don't pay shipping, they take care of the paperwork, make sure you are getting MD complaint mags on your firearm.

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    Can always try the site gun.deals.com

input the upc of the firearm you wish to buy and it compares many only sites giving you a list of cheapest to most expensive. Of course it doesn’t have every deal, but you can save plenty doing that.

As far as online buys go, just make sure the online dealer will sell to you, and make sure the ffl of your choice is okay with the firearm in question/transfer. I order online a lot.

notional

MDS Supporter
    Looking at a Barrett M99 and a Kel Tec KSG. My purchase time I'm looking at is around the beginning of October (I travel a lot and I actually have a week of 'home'/'down time' that first and second week). Feeling the need to treat myself, but just was fed up with the high prices around where I live. I've had someone reach out to me and give me a great quote, so I'm going to hit them up when I'm ready to make a little trip across the state. Thanks to MD Shooters!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom