• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • razorV23

TK421
    Dec 18, 2008
    Annapolis
    Anyone know if a UF can be converted to a side folder? I don't know much about AKs, but I don't really like the UF. If possible, what parts would I need?

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    nope. you are stuck with the u/f. wrap the stock with 550 cord or a piece of rubber tube (thin) and it wont be so bad.

Drew1340

Nov 30, 2010
    AA county
    lots of work involved, I looked into it years ago if possible in md I would say buy a new gun though in md it isn't... so maybe worth looking into...

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    The mako group was developing a cool looking adapter when I looked. Not sure if it was released or finished. Before that it was trunnion work and out of my league.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The receiver would need a lot of work, because of the holes left open on the sides of an underfolder.

I would follow aquaman's advice...

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    It could probably be done but it'd be a pretty extensive (and expensive) project.

I'm not an AK guru but you'd have to swap out the UF trunnion for a sidefolder trunnion, so I'm assuming you'd need to weld up the current rivet holes, then re-drill for your new trunnion. If there's an angle on the back end of your receiver, it might have to be altered slightly for trunnion/folder assembly fitment.

You'd have to drill holes up front for your latch. There would possibly be some fitment issues with the latch too but it should work in a good smith's hands.

You might have to relocate your serial number if it’s in an inconvenient place that now needs to be riveted. If so, you’d need to request a variance from ATF to move the SN.

A good deal of work and money.

RareBird

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 11, 2013
    Why don't you like the UF? Before I bought an AK with a wood stock, I was looking very closely at a UF. I would have thought the UF would be more desirable than the SF.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    They look nice but to me they're uncomfortable. Plus there's zero cheek weld.

This!

Out of all the AKs: a traditional stock is the best (form, fit, & function), underfolders are just another anchor point on the body, while folding stocks are a good comprimose..

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Since everyone's just saying not to do it without telling you why, and without knowing if you have the skills/tooling to do it, I'll be fair and at least run the process down:

Remove the underfolding stock, drill out the trunnion rivets, weld up all the holes, slant cut the back of the receiver, cut all new holes for the sidefolding mechanism and trunnion, rivet in sidefolding trunnion.

Grind/drill all front trunnion rivets, remove front trunnion, weld additional material on bottom of front trunnion to drill for front stock latch pivot pin, press barrel pin and barrel out of front trunnion, re-rivet back into receiver, drill front latch pin hole, drill/mill front latch hole in side of receiver, install front latch, reinstall barrel, reinstall barrel pin.

Install stock, hope you didn't **** anything up and have to do it all over again.

If you're feeling froggy, go for it. Be sure and post pics. :thumbsup:

(Mario at Piece of History Firearms can certainly accomplish this for you, and it will look ****ing factory as ****. Don't expect it to be cheap....but it WILL be done right, without even the remotest possibility of any corners being cut. Troy at InRange may also be able to help you out, and is unbelievably good as well. I don't know how long either will take or what their backlog is at the moment)

razorV23

TK421
    Dec 18, 2008
    Annapolis
    Since everyone's just saying not to do it without telling you why, and without knowing if you have the skills/tooling to do it, I'll be fair and at least run the process down:

Remove the underfolding stock, drill out the trunnion rivets, weld up all the holes, slant cut the back of the receiver, cut all new holes for the sidefolding mechanism and trunnion, rivet in sidefolding trunnion.

Grind/drill all front trunnion rivets, remove front trunnion, weld additional material on bottom of front trunnion to drill for front stock latch pivot pin, press barrel pin and barrel out of front trunnion, re-rivet back into receiver, drill front latch pin hole, drill/mill front latch hole in side of receiver, install front latch, reinstall barrel, reinstall barrel pin.

Install stock, hope you didn't **** anything up and have to do it all over again.

If you're feeling froggy, go for it. Be sure and post pics. :thumbsup:

(Mario at Piece of History Firearms can certainly accomplish this for you, and it will look ****ing factory as ****. Don't expect it to be cheap....but it WILL be done right, without even the remotest possibility of any corners being cut. Troy at InRange may also be able to help you out, and is unbelievably good as well. I don't know how long either will take or what their backlog is at the moment)

Thanks for taking the time to explain the process

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    Definitely helps a bit, true enough.

I'm just not a big fan of UFs but I did pick up a few extra 7.62 receivers in case I decide to have one built to round out a collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom