• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JustPlinking

Oct 11, 2018
    I want to get back into shooting (its been many years) and wanted to get started back up with a .22lr rifle such as a ruger 10/22.

I have never shot rifles at an indoor range before but wanted to start just for the creature comforts of being inside during the colder months.

I called free state in middle river. Their rules state that all rifles must have muzzle breaks, flash hiders, or suppressors. The person on the phone stated that this included .22lr rifles.

Some other indoor ranges I am looking at int the area do not have this stipulation.

Why do some ranges require muzzle breaks, flash hiders, or suppressors and others do not?

Thank you for the help.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Different ranges different rules. My indoor range allows any pistol caliber carbine/rifle to be used with no additional restrictions.

mdoffroad

Looking to Learn
    Aug 26, 2011
    Abingdon, MD
    my 22s that I have shot there have NEVER had a brake or suppressor. Just got shoot it. I was JUST in there shooting my bolt action 22, thread protector only.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Granted rules may have changed but I used to shoot my AR-15 with just a birdcage on it there.
    I've never heard of any range requiring a 22 to be suppressed. That doesn't really make sense. I'd definitely call back and clarify.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Ive been there, shot rifles, never heard of that rule. Seems dubious to me it as would rule out guns like mini 14 which have none on the above. Why the heck does 22lr need a muzzle break or flash hider. A supressor is a lot of money, few people have those.

I think perhaps you misunderstood. Pretty sure thats not a rule.

Ok i looked, that is indeed a rule.

Rifles up to and including 7.62 x 39 may be fired, but must be equipped with a muzzle brake, flash hider or suppressor

https://www.freestategunrange.com/range-rules/

Why the heck would they make that a rule???

I put a thread protector on my 9mm AR. No need to flash hider or brake. :wtf:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    That's a head scratcher .

If they felt the need to make more rules , it would be more logical to Prohibit muzzle breaks .

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I've definitely gone there in the past six months and not followed that rule (not wittingly, I was not aware it was a rule until I read this thread). In fact, I was complemented on my choice of firearms by the staff there. I say forgiveness is better than permission in this case.

May 19, 2016
    I too have been there with my lever action and seen others with theirs. I think that the rule may simply be aimed at people who shoot guns with a huge huge flares that make plenty of noise. You have to show you weapons to the staff and they also check you ammunition, and no one has ever told me that what I had wasn't allowed.

OSOK1776

Oct 26, 2011
    Glen Burnie
    lol.. i could understand suppressor, because they dont want the noise of a rifle round being fired in doors, but a brake? LOL are they trying to amplify the noise?

May 19, 2016
    I would recommend just going there if you don't live to far away. As I mentioned before they check you out at the counter after you fill out the waiver. I will tell you as there are only 2 public indoor ranges in Baltimore that I know of it can get crowded. during peak times. Also you may want to check to see if a class in session utilizing the lanes on the range. As long as you go in, even if it's crowded you can get notified by text when a lane is about to open up.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I too have been there with my lever action and seen others with theirs. I think that the rule may simply be aimed at people who shoot guns with a huge huge flares that make plenty of noise. You have to show you weapons to the staff and they also check you ammunition, and no one has ever told me that what I had wasn't allowed.
    I have always experienced the same. While I do love suppressors (I have 8), I cannot say that I would be willing to destroy the classic look of either of my lever guns to allow me to suppress them.

Hmm, now that I'm on the subject . . . Obviously what I need to do is buy another lever action rifle that already looks nonstandard. Then I can suppress that. .357 magnum out of a rifle is already pretty quiet . . . Oh man, new project.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I've definitely gone there in the past six months and not followed that rule (not wittingly, I was not aware it was a rule until I read this thread). In fact, I was complemented on my choice of firearms by the staff there. I say forgiveness is better than permission in this case.

I have been there too with rifles that dont have a muzzle brake or flash hider.

But it begs the question: Why have a rule (on the web site and mentioned over the phone) that they are not enforcing? Why not just state the actual rule? If the actual rule is "rifles are subject to inspection" then just say that. What are they actually rejecting?

Pistol caliber carbines generally dont have muzzle brakes or flash hiders. They sell Beretta Storm Cx4 and Kel Tec sub 2000... but you cant shoot it there according to this... ??? this makes no sense.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I shoot at Free State all the time.

I have shot many .22 rifles there (a Ruger 10/22, a Ruger American Rimfire, and some others) that have no muzzle device of any kind. They are totally fine with it.

As to the muzzle device rule... I have never heard of it before and it makes no sense. I was there last week with my 10.5" 5.56 AR SBR which has a Rugged muzzle brake on it for my suppressor. That rifle is absolutely punishing to shoot at an indoor range with that brake on it, particularly to the people on either side of the shooter, but they didn't care a bit. That makes no sense, and I've seen plenty of people shooting there with rifles without muzzle devices.

Odd.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    lol.. i could understand suppressor, because they dont want the noise of a rifle round being fired in doors, but a brake? LOL are they trying to amplify the noise?

This was what I was thinking.

REALLY???

I don't patronize Freestate. I ordered a rifle from Bud's to be transferred through them. This was the height of the craziness of 13.

I went to pick it up and they tried to charge me about $25 more transfer fee than I was quoted. NOPE.

Their reason was, they had to buy extra safes to hold all the firearms (regulated) on hold. NOPE.

JustPlinking

Oct 11, 2018
    As suggested I followed up and asked a second time. This time I was told that rule 12 (muzzle break, suppressor, or flash hider) did not apply to 22 rifles so I should be good to go.

Thank you everyone for your input.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    When it comes to silly rules with obvious shortcomings resulting from lack of foresight “‘’Tis easier to ask forgiveness, than it is permission” — ESPECIALLY OVER THE PHONE.*

If you don’t feel comfortable following the lead of the others who have shot 22LR there, imagine you’ll get a big grin and thumbs up if you take your 22LR in a case and then open the case and pose your query, in person. OTOH, you could ruin what is currently a good thing for everyone else. Personally, I’d take the advice of others and just go shoot your 22LR, as is.

*(Case in point: Living on a lake down south, I infrequently deal with a bureaucrat who works as the “River Warden” (think a local regulator / inspector); EVERYBODY knows if you call him on the phone you’re gonna get the absolute-strictest, letter-of-the-regulation” interpretation / response from him.
    OTOH, make an appt for him to come by in person, hand him an ice tea or lemonade and small talk awhile, you’re guaranteed to get a UNIVERSE more leeway from him, as to what you can and can’t do, without a long drawn out permit process.

Best o’ Success and Happy plinking!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom