• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cfiolx

Sep 17, 2013
    Highly suggest getting a dual fuel generator, which avoids having to keep gasoline (with degrading and volatility of fumes issues). Being able to run out of propane (although not generating the full power out of the generator) and gasoline (if needed) is a great way to go. Propane is a lot more stable and you can have storage of many different sizes. Remember when the electricity goes out (whether in winter or summer) the resultant long wait lines for buying gasoline vs. many gas stations, hardware, 7-elevens, etc. etc. sell propane bottles. If your house is heated by propane then you already have a source of energy there - just needing to have a line installed so that you can hook up your portable generator to it.

RIGHT NOW COSTCO has a sale through 7/15/18 ==> dual fuel generator for $550 after $100 discount. 9400 Starting Watts / 7500 Running Watts - Gas
    8450 Starting Watts / 6750 Running Watts - LPG

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have 4000W Propane generator that powers the essentials if needed. I don't think Propane is as efficient $ wise but I generally have 2-3 full propane tanks under my deck. I just cycle through them for the grille.
    When we had power out for 4 days during the wind storm, I used up 1 and went to get another at the gas station. No power but they had a key to unlock the propane and I paid cash.
    My house has a 1000gal propane tank but I have never explored how I could tap into that or not.

As mentioned, If there is a wide long term power outage, what is the point to gasoline if you can't buy any.
    If you go gas, you should get a number of 5 gal jugs cause if there is a wide spread outage, you will want to get a bunch of gas quick and either siphon from a car or drive a distance to get it.
    Count on those jugs not being available on a wide spread outage. (My neighbor found this out in our old house during Isabel)

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    Both my Chinese cheapo's have a fuel shut off. Between fuel stabilizer and shutting the valve off and sucking the carbs dry, never nary a problem.:thumbsup:

cfiolx

Sep 17, 2013
    FYI, house we moved to in VA had/has propane for heating and we upgraded/replaced electric stove to propane. At that time, I just had propane service install an additional propane line that I can use to hook up generator. Line has a quick connect connection to generator. With 1000 gallons propane you should be able to run generator for a long time. Look up "generator interlock" on YouTube to see what you need to do to hook up generator to your circuit panel.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    No matter which generator you get, consider using ethanol free gas, stabilized with Startron. As Rack mentioned, parts degrade from marinating in ethanol infected pump gas, and less expensive chicom substitutes are even more susceptible.

Even if you have to use regular pump gas during the power outage, if you drain it out and replace it with the good stuff it will greatly extend both the longevity and dependability of the engine.

Since I don't have a convenient source for ethanol free gas, I use aviation gas from Lee Airport. No ethanol, and it has the added benefit of lead (which helps lubricate upper cylinders and valves). Not cheap at $5.50/gal, but it has completely eliminated the need for tune-ups in all of my small gas engines for well over 10 years.

Pure Gas

You can use ethanol gas if non-e is available with stabilizer BUT, when finished using the generator with either fuel, drain the tank and run the generator till is uses what is left in the lines/carb and dies to clear the float bowl. This is also a good idea w/ all 2 and 4 cycle motors that get laid up during the winter. If you are anal, fog the engine w/ fogging oil during this process. After you have 20 hours on the generator, I'd switch to Amzoil small engine synthetic oil.

Some generators, like Genariac have low oil sensors and will shut the engine down once the oil gets low. You can tell if you are low on oil if the gen engine starts missing/rapid changing of rpms while running. If this happens, shut it down and check your oil level. I've had a Genaric 7.5K generator for 15 years and starts on the first pull even after being idle for 3 years between uses. Always check your oil between fill ups.

Another tip is to build a plywood box to house the generator out side. I designed mine with a removable front panel for exhaust and cooling even if it is raining/snowing. I can also remove the top to let it breath better.

Back feeding thru a dryer 240 outlet is very dangerous to the folks working on restoring your power and if caught doing this by SMECO, they will terminate your electrical service. It is best and safer to use a "Protran" type switch that isolates 6-12 predetermined circuits from the utility and are used by your generator. When the power comes back on, these circuits are protected from the utility and there is a simple process to switch from generator back to line power.

Finally, I only use the generator 8-12 Am and 8-12PM to conserve fuel and to let the refrigerators, and freezers do their thing. I pack a cooler for stuff I want to use during the day so as not to open any freezer or frig while the power is off.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I've been using regular gas with Stabil and MMO for all my small engines, some going back 25 years. Never tuned them, never drained them, rarely changed the plug and they've all started just fine. The fuel lines on the lawnmower and weed whacker powerhead rotted out but that was an easy fix.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    As mentioned, If there is a wide long term power outage, what is the point to gasoline if you can't buy any.
    If you go gas, you should get a number of 5 gal jugs cause if there is a wide spread outage, you will want to get a bunch of gas quick and either siphon from a car or drive a distance to get it.
    Count on those jugs not being available on a wide spread outage. (My neighbor found this out in our old house during Isabel)
    Buy one 5 gal can per month, for 12 months. Fill each one as you buy them, rotate them through your cars (1 per month) and refill each month. This will ensure your stored fuel is fresh.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Buy one 5 gal can per month, for 12 months. Fill each one as you buy them, rotate them through your cars (1 per month) and refill each month. This will ensure your stored fuel is fresh.

You are going to keep gas for a year?
    Where are you storing these 60 gallons ?
    Don’t forget the stabl or starttron but no thanks, I’m not storing 60gallons of gas around my house. I don’t have a shed nor would want to take up all that room in one with all the flammable liquid in just the cans. Maybe 4 or 5 of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Most fire codes only allow 5 gallons of storage inside an occupied dwelling .

Without a shed or an out building. Your safe storage options are limited

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    You are going to keep gas for a year?
    Yes, you would use and relace fast enough to keep it from going bad.

Where are you storing these 60 gallons ?
    Unoccupied shed with proper ventilation.

Don’t forget the stabl or starttron (your choice) but no thanks, I’m not storing 60gallons of gas around my house. I don’t have a shed nor would want to take up all that room in one with all the flammable liquid in just the cans. Maybe 4 or 5 of them.

Your decision on the amount you are comfortable with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am currently storing 8 5Gal cans and rotating them monthly (more often during mowing season). Have had zero issues with the fuel going bad (not using any additives).

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I keep four 5 gallon jugs in the shed with filled with gas, and a whole pint of Seafoam is added to each jug. Gas stays fresh for a year, I'd imagine it could go longer... but after each year I will burn it in my truck and refill the jugs again for the upcoming year.

The genny has a 5 gallon tank as well... same process as above with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom