What do you guys think of the Beretta M1951?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I am starting to see the Beretta M1951 available and they seem to be reasonably priced. What do you guys think of these?

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    I like them as collectibles and for casual shooting, but parts can be hard to find, so I don't think they're suitable for EDC and home defense.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I recall there is a part that can break easily, Locking lug? I run "Pet loads" reloaded myself when shooting it to be extra gentle on it.
    I recall the locking lugs where unobtainable but I think someone makes replacements now?
    I got mine from Coles? or someone like that back when they sold them.

I pull it out about once a year. Its a classic I think.

Jul 1, 2012
    I recall there is a part that can break easily, Locking lug? I run "Pet loads" reloaded myself when shooting it to be extra gentle on it.
    I recall the locking lugs where unobtainable but I think someone makes replacements now?...

The lock block is the typical failure, and can also cause a slide failure.
    There's a guy in the Netherlands that makes them but info is scarce.
    Other than that, unobtanium. Sarco had some used ones but they sold pretty quick.
    https://www.thehighroad.org/index.p...helwan-9mm-by-manufacturing-new-parts.855853/

Are they C&R?
    Most are but not all as they were produced through the 1970's

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    The lock block is the typical failure, and can also cause a slide failure.
    There's a guy in the Netherlands that makes them but info is scarce.
    Other than that, unobtanium. Sarco had some used ones but they sold pretty quick.
    https://www.thehighroad.org/index.p...helwan-9mm-by-manufacturing-new-parts.855853/

I think the guy in Netherlands was selling them on eBay awhile back. Might still be. I have a spare lock block I found for next to nothing a few years back so I shoot mine from time to time without fear.

I'll add. I like shooting mine, but its just an occasional range gun. Not a regular shooter or something I carry.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    For the reasons listed and a few more, I sold the ones I had. Yes, they're C & R but......

Jul 1, 2012
    Are they C&R?

I've seen some ads that won't sell as C&R because they can't reliably discern the date, and others won't (rightly so) because they were produced in the 1970's.

For example, current ads:

J&G Sales " These are Not date code marked, so unfortunately not C&R. "

DK Firearms " None of these pistols will be C&R Eligible, as they are not old enough. "

Classic " Although the Beretta M1951 was produced from 1953 to 1980, we have no way of verifying the manufacturer date range on these and as such none can be sold directly to C & R. "

I haven't tried it but the mfg date may be available from Beretta website(s) based on the S/N.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    As a shooter, I like it better than the P38. Mechanically, it's a single-action P38 which has been slimmed down, made a bit weaker, and gimmicked up with a quirky safety and mag release. That said, mine is a sweet shooter and more reliable than my ammo-sensitive P38.

It should be babied and confined to occasional range trips with light loads. If you have a chance to get one and the price is right, I say grab it.

I think P38 magazines could easily be modified to work in it.

Jul 1, 2012
    As a shooter, I like it better than the P38. Mechanically, it's a single-action P38 which has been slimmed down, made a bit weaker, and gimmicked up with a quirky safety and mag release. That said, mine is a sweet shooter and more reliable than my ammo-sensitive P38.

It should be babied and confined to occasional range trips with light loads. If you have a chance to get one and the price is right, I say grab it.

I think P38 magazines could easily be modified to work in it.

P.38's are sensitive to overall cartridge length. Some are a wee bit longer than it likes. The 1951 lock block is significantly smaller than a P.38, and the P.38 is known for breaking blocks.

Modifying P.38 mags:
    https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?1111511-Walther-P-38-magazine-s-in-a-Beretta-M1951

Attachments

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      74.5 KB · Views: 269

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    somd_mustangs, thanks for the correction on C&R status. Not all are, but the one I am looking at is.
    [EDIT] Actually - it is NOT C&R. Made in the 70's.

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    P.38's are sensitive to overall cartridge length. Some are a wee bit longer than it likes. The 1951 lock block is significantly smaller than a P.38, and the P.38 is known for breaking blocks.

Modifying P.38 mags:
    https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?1111511-Walther-P-38-magazine-s-in-a-Beretta-M1951

Oh wow, nice comparison. I don’t know that “known for” is a good description. It is a failure point, but uncommon. Or at least I am not aware of it being common in anyway. The P1’s have slide and frame failures depending on the year and use cases.

I have heard P38 and P1 can be Ammo sensitive based on length. I haven’t run in to it with my P1 yet. But I’ve only feed it brass cased 115gr range loads. Nothing hot. Nothing steel. I did run some IMI JHP in it that didn’t run well. I also ran some Remington green box 115gr JHP, which isn’t loaded hot. That ran great (that was when i owner a tokarev and a P1 and no other handguns. And I wanted some kind of slightly better than ball defensive load that wasn’t likely to break it or stress it).

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Mosin Crate has an Iraqi 1951. Looks like chit though. Even has police case numbers on it. I wish it could talk!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom