• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Wrong way fatal collision. The Go Team from shock trauma was flown out to the scene.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    She probably got on the wrong ramp at the Ferguson Rd. interchange, the East bound exit ramp is right next to East bound entry ramp on Ferguson Rd.
    She probably had some other issues going on; DWI, drugs, talking on the cell phone, etc.

:sad20:

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    The only way to really make a mistake over here is the exit for wawa if you aren't familiar or aren't paying attention you might be able to go the wrong way there but that would mean she drove almost 2 miles the wrong way without figuring it out. So......idk.

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    That would be incredible if that was the case exiting left from WaWa, people using the deceleration ramp there are nearly at Hwy. speed right at the Exxon heading East on the old road all day long.

Yeah it'd be surprising to get all the way to rt2. from there. Unless she did the same thing coming from the High's come out turn right on to the exit ramp going the wrong way. Harder to imagine making that mistake than the one by wawa, but those are the only two ways until almost the Bay Bridge.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I have no idea but I worked that area for years and I would be looking really hard at the possibility she made a wrong turn by WaWa and went out the wrong way. If there's one ramp down there that can happen on it's that one. Either that or made a left out of the intersection down by Whitehall Shopping Center not realizing there is no left turn there. Then you have a 22 year old driver, perhaps panicky, desperately looking for a way to get off the road but for whatever reason afraid to just stop on the side, managed to make it across the Severn River Bridge before the collision. Just speculating, who knows right now. In any case so very tragic. Things like this are so terrible for all involved.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Very sad story.

It looks like an exit from the WAWA based on the fact that there was time for multiple drivers to report the wrong-way driver. The crash was near the Route 2 North exit.

That stretch from the WAWA is uphill then a long downhill stretch to another uphill stretch--providing a clear view on that downhill portion that you are in the wrong lane.

Tragically, it suggests significant drug or alcohol impairment.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    The traffic cams will no doubt be able to track what she did on this, but let me tell you the resulting traffic today was one for the books for those of us that live and work between the Severn and the Bay. :sad20:

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Yes, the Bay and other tributaries dictate VERY limited workarounds for an accident that shuts down that portion of Route 50.

That section of 50 is more of a Main Street for the area.

Such a tragic circumstance for two families.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I don't think she made it across the bridge. Says it happened near Bay Dale.

Okay, thanks, I misread that. I don't know but wouldn't surprise me to learn she made a left down by Whitehall Shopping Center. I can picture a person making that mistake, especially if they're used to 50 further down east where you can make left turns onto 50 westbound from some places. According to the article people had time to call and the calls went out to troopers before the accident. and I doubt that would be the case if she got on by WaWa. I always wished they would either block that damn intersection at Whitehall off or put a ramp in. Shouldn't have an intersection like that on a controlled access highway. Anyway, I guess we'll know more as MSP works it. Sad.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Agree. You are describing a T intersection there at point, which is nuts.

The point that argues against this as an entry is how much out-of-the-way driving this young woman would do to go to a point where there is no food or gas stations.

Coming from Salisbury (presumably)...to get to that T to make a wrong-way left, this driver would have had to exit at Sandy Point westbound and then cross back over 50 to the White Hall shopping area.

Again, no gas or food there, but there is a liquor store.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Most often when this happens it's either a very old and confused driver, someone having a medical emergency, or a very intoxicated driver.
    Just so sad, and preventable. Amazing how millions of people can drive through there just fine and then you have someone doing this.
    No doubt a good excuse to ban human drivers. Google cars for everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom