• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    We got into Them Pretty good today. My buddy road around and found them yesterday And we got out there this morning and set out 2300 Decoys We round up getting 256 2 of them Where Ross geese and one nice Blue goose

Attachments

• 2018-02-02-13-58-36.jpg
      2018-02-02-13-58-36.jpg
      126.8 KB · Views: 480
    • 20180202_083804.jpg
      20180202_083804.jpg
      15.1 KB · Views: 452
    • 20180202_094458.jpg
      20180202_094458.jpg
      125.5 KB · Views: 488

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I have to ask this from the perspective of a non goose hunter. Is that a lot?

Cause 256 seems like a drunken shitpoast of geese to me. Can you even eat that many? Good lord.

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    Bag limit is 25 per person I'm not sure what the others do with theirs but we have some people that love To eat them and also I make goose jerky Out of A few

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Bag limit is 25 per person I'm not sure what the others do with theirs but we have some people that love To eat them and also I make goose jerky Out of A few

How long does it take to clean a goose? I've never hunted water fowl before, I would be completely lost.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    How long does it take to clean a goose? I've never hunted water fowl before, I would be completely lost.

Not long and these guy fly in REALLY REALLY REALLY big flocks. They are horribly destructive so a lot of people don't even eat them.

I didn't enjoy them but I did have fun hunting them.

Nice haul OP what was your biggest volley?

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Snowgies (what we call them) are horribly destructive as another poster indicated. And there certainly is no shortage of them.

Once I was with a guide, he said blast as many as you can, we'll just throw them in the dumpster.

At first I was like WTF then I did some research.

Not only do they destroy crops, they also strip the earth bare of grass, and cause subsequent significant erosion.

I heard they taste TERRIBLE, so jerky sounds about right.....

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Most people just breast them. If you know what you’re doing takes 2 minutes. They are tasty, IMO

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Again another non hunter. So you can shoot as many as you like but only keep 25 per person?

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Everyone has seen geese fly in a V formation.

Do you guys know why one side of the V is longer than the other?

Because all winds aren't direct headwinds. The longer side is opposite the wind direction, so more geese get a bigger draft.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Damn good day. And we're almost in conservation season where there's no limit and unplugged guns are A-OK. I'm hoping to get out and hit them at least one more time if u need another gun and some decoys....

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Awesome job OP.

That is the one type of waterfowling I have never done. Might get into it depending on how much my kids get into waterfowling.

I hunted in Church Hill during law school 20 years ago and the amount of snow geese we saw was insane. Sadly, we were completely set up for ducks. Saw a bunch of canadas too, but there was a moratorium on them back then.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    2300 decoys? Holy cow.

Do people still use diapers and bleach bottles? I’ve never considered snows because of the decoy investment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom