• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kehvN

Dec 28, 2012
    Harford County
    Not any more. The new language is while employed as a contractor or DOD. Paraphrasing a little bit but it is not tied to a specific employer and allows one to change employment without having to get a permit modification.

Ok awesome! Good to know. Thanks y'all!

Jan 7, 2016
    Updated SOP

For your reading enjoyment. Helped my back in 2017 before the Federal Employee. I used the Assumed Risk position as a Active Military member, OPM hack, Isis threat etc...

This addition will make it easier for renewal.

Attachments

• S.O.P. 29-19-004 - Processing of Handgun Permit Applications.pdf
      597 KB · Views: 531

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Correct me If I am wrong but wasnt their a case a few yeas ago where a MD SPO sued MSP in court and won for a ccw to carry off duty? MSP said he was not a police officer and the court said he was and could carry off duty and ordered MSP to ISSUE a CCW and yet the new SOP put out by MSP goes against that court ruling as well.
    E0AAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

#12 Special Police Officer. Between residence and (or) armed,(name of agency job assignment or property)only,and while actively engaged as a Special Police Officer for same (ON DUTY IN MD ONLY) (Not VALID where firearms are prohibited by law.)

E0AAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The above language is the default for SPO ( or Armed Security, or Private Investigator [ which is different from Private Detective in Md] ). For an unrestricted , they would have to show specific documented threats , similar to anyone else .

Perhaps you were thinking of Virginia's Special Conservator of the Peace status . That has been recognized as LEO , and subject to LEOSA . Likewise for Pennsylvania Constables .

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    I just submitted letter from my security manager with all pertinent info included. Don't know if it's good enough yet.

TOP SECRET eligibility determination by DOD CAF on 09/09/2013
    PPR investigation by OPM closed on 10/10/2013
    CAGE: ABCDEFG

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I just submitted letter from my security manager with all pertinent info included. Don't know if it's good enough yet.

I could see MSP being passive-aggressive and not accepting eligibility, instead requiring documentary evidence of actual indoc.

AverageGuy

Jun 17, 2019
    Baltimore, MD

It will need to state that it’s still active and you have reoccurring access to classified materials.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    I am not trying to be stupid, and I am sure that this has probably been covered before, but how is daily access to classified materials G&S? I could see if someone was involved in the transport of them.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    I am not trying to be stupid, and I am sure that this has probably been covered before, but how is daily access to classified materials G&S? I could see if someone was involved in the transport of them.
    Hummm...when I had access (I'm retired) nobody ever pulled out a black pen looking thing and cleared my memory before I left work every day (at least I don't think so, since I remembered seeing it before when I went back the next day).

I have a lifetime obligation to protect the information I had access to for over 35 years.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    Hummm...when I had access (I'm retired) nobody ever pulled out a black pen looking thing and cleared my memory before I left work every day (at least I don't think so, since I remembered seeing it before when I went back the next day).

I have a lifetime obligation to protect the information I had access to for over 35 years.

I understand that and if I were to ever decide to go CCW, I would probably go that route, but I am trying to understand what the perceived threat is. Are people concerned that they will be approached by someone demanding classified information and threatened with physical harm if they do not comply?

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    I understand that and if I were to ever decide to go CCW, I would probably go that route, but I am trying to understand what the perceived threat is. Are people concerned that they will be approached by someone demanding classified information and threatened with physical harm if they do not comply?
    Ah, it's happened. Not that it's all that advertised, but yes, it's out there, and for those who had their entire lives released in the OPM breach, probably a slightly higher probability.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    Ah, it's happened. Not that it's all that advertised, but yes, it's out there, and for those who had their entire lives released in the OPM breach, probably a slightly higher probability.

Okay, thanks. I fall into both of these categories, so like I said, I will definitely use it to my advantage if I go the concealed carry route. I just want to be able to articulate the proper concerns if asked.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

Same here.

I was an exception as I worked nukes on A and B sides in DoD (customer); then worked oversight of the DOE Production Complex for a time. Then the time in the Pentagon, with more compartments than you could shake a stick at. And two, count 'em, two OPM letters. Does it count for MSP LD? Naaaah, "we can't hit it with a stick..."

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Same here.

I was an exception as I worked nukes on A and B sides in DoD (customer); then worked oversight of the DOE Production Complex for a time. Then the time in the Pentagon, with more compartments than you could shake a stick at. And two, count 'em, two OPM letters. Does it count for MSP LD? Naaaah, "we can't hit it with a stick..."
    Yeap, consistentcy is the hallmark of the MSP LD. I knew several people that tried this approach and the results pretty much confirm MSP LD's use of a coin flip.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Active TS or above, reoccurring/ daily access, OPM breach info., although never mentioned during interview. Keep G&S short.

Example: Active TS clearance with [agency/department], victim of OPM breach, daily access to classified information within [geographical location (e.g., Ft. Meade)].

Provide OPM letter and references. If you can get the FSO to be a reference it’ll move faster. FSO will need to in-writing and verbally affirm access and level of clearance. Your supervisor will also need to concur. MSP will provide instructions on format.

Seems all kind of screwed up that a state agency is asking for this type of information.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Yeap, consistentcy is the hallmark of the MSP LD. I knew several people that tried this approach and the results pretty much confirm MSP LD's use of a coin flip.

I know several also. It all depended on who was doing the review. Those denied went before the board and got approved.

AverageGuy

Jun 17, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    Seems all kind of screwed up that a state agency is asking for this type of information.

Agreed, but considering the amount of people I routinely catch walking around with IC badges or CAC IDs in public, no one cares. From my discussion with the investigator that information doesn’t go anywhere and is exempt from a FOIA request. And at this point the Chinese already have my information so MSP doesn’t bother me.

Ghost40

Apr 29, 2015
    I'm curious what those of you used as proof of TC clearance?

I know my company wouldn't give me anything stating it as it's against their BBPs.

Thunder239

Feb 10, 2014
    Same situation here...my CSO can only verify clearance for official business. I can get employment verification from HR but doesn’t include clearance. Called the LD and the woman said not to worry it will be assigned to a trooper to investigate....famous last words! two-weeks into application acceptance so still have a long way to go. I can prove the TS requirement with a job posting, which is on the web so nothing classified. I DON’T TRUST THIS STATE!

Ghost40

Apr 29, 2015
    I reached out to my FSO and she said that my company did it for another person and she will get me a letter. Which surprised me. Still waiting on the letter though :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom