• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Handgunlaw.us still reports that VA honors any permit issued by any other state. Must be 21. No distinction between resident or non-resident permit.

ktigerJ

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2013
    Start here

I looked up classes on the NRA’s site and took the Basic Handgun class with my wife to get her, her CCW.

From the site ...

DOCUMENTATION OF PROOF OF HANDGUN COMPETENCY – (§ 18.2-308.02)
    The court shall require proof that the applicant has demonstrated competence with a handgun in person and the applicant may demonstrate such competence by one of the following, but no applicant shall be required to submit to any additional demonstration of competence:

Completing any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state;
    Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
    Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services;
    Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
    Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services;
    Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in this Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause;
    Completing any in-person firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor;
    Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties; or
    Completing any other firearms training which the court deems adequate.
    A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught such course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this subsection.

No applicant shall be required to submit to any additional demonstration of competence, nor shall any proof of demonstrated competence expire.

Leper Messiah

Aug 18, 2014
    I wonder if it would be easier to take the hunters ed course. When you go to the site it says they are not doing in person classes because of covid. They say if you need a certificate to take the course online. I wonder if that will fly with the state.

chujohn

Dec 2, 2019
    Northern Virginia
    So according to this:
    Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services;

So a DD-214 with an honorable discharge will work?

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    One more stupid question, does it matter how many years you have been out of the military?

It doesn't matter. I got my permit from Fairfax circuit court with a DD-214 from Desert Shield/Storm, which was the last time I was active duty before
    going into the reserves.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    A few years ago was a minor news item about a Virginian using his DD214 from WWII .

Perhaps you were thinking of Washington DC which does place a shelf life on millitary service .

ktigerJ

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2013
    Went and took my wife’s paperwork in today. Deputy Clarke County Circuit Court Clerk was there and I asked about renewals. “Given there are no other laws passed, once you have your CCW, that is all proof you need to renew.” So basically, you do not at present time, need take any classes to renew your VA issued CCW.

bronco

Dec 14, 2020
    se Va
    I applied in 12/2019 for my Va CHP. I used my handgun safety class certificate I got back in 1996. The CHP application fee back in '96 was $50. I guess raising kids, work, home ownership, etc. got in the way of clearing the funds and taking the time to apply for it. I finally applied for my Virginia CHP in December 2019. My recent application was only $52 total. It went through just fine even with the 23 year old certificate. Regardless, I'm glad I didn't wait any longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom