Are manufacturers missing out on a home defense revolver market?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Ahhh. Fantasy unicorn self defense dreams involving mag exchanges, beside while wearing underoos.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Yes, fully aware they are the same size since I reload. I assume that due to higher pressures with a 357 more steel is needed and more space between rounds in the cylinder. I could be wrong.

Which is why scaled down 357s usually only have a 5 round capacity.

Interesting discussion. My most available firearms in the house are a 686 (6 shot - not a + model) and an XDs in 45 which, with the +2 mags, only holds 7 rounds. Presumably, if zombies attack, or there is massive unrest, i will have time to retrieve an AR and a Mossy 500. Otherwise, I shoot well enough to drive off 2, 3 or 4 intruders. My XDs has less capacity than my 1911s, my XD 9 SC, or others, but I shoot it more often. Guess I'll be in trouble if the multitudes attack suddenly, but usually a home intrusion is twarted with 1 to 3 shots. The best defensive firearm is the one you have and can shoot/operate well.

LibertyGun

May 19, 2014
    District 14, PRM
    I agree with the OP. I think there is a market there which has been ignored. My suggestion is for a .32Mag or .327 since it may let you get another round in the chamber over a .357/38 and would have less recoil. If you can get 8 .357s into some cylinders I would expect 9 .32 may fit. Put a rail on it top/bottom with a grip frame which could be make thick/thin for different hand sizes.

Many states have a 10rd limit still so an 8 or 9 shot revolver is giving up little in those states but gains in simplicity.

No, won't be for everyone but I do think it would sell if done right. I would buy one since the Wife doesn't do autos well and I really think 8rds will do what I need done while I get to my AR.

Yes! I was thinking about the 327 round, only problem is it is not that popular and available. Very interested in trying it on the LCR. I'm also assuming that even though 38 is same size as 357, due to lower pressures, less steel is needed between rounds in a cylinder and thus it may be possible to pack another round in there. But I could be wrong about that.

My only issue with a revolver in a HD situation is if you may have to reload. You've taken a simple tool and made it almost impossible for the average person to utilize after the initial shots. At least with a semi auto, you press a button, let the old mag fall out, then place another mag into the handgun and it's ready to go.

Can't say it's that easy with a revolver.

Add to that the fumbling with ammo, lighting conditions and the stress of the situation. Nope, I wouldn't want that for me, much less someone with a lot less experience.

But anything is better than nothing.

8-10 rounds is better than no rounds. Not sure how often reloading comes into play in a HD dynamic and I'm talking about a market of individuals that are not interested in fast reloading in any format or being prepared for extended gunfights in their house or fighting off "squads" of bad guys that a lot of us like to fantasize could happen ("he was attacked by 4 guys on drugs that felt no pain, after plugging 10 rounds of 45 ACP into each of their heads, and reloading several times, he finally subdued them... ... therefore you should always have massive firepower at your disposal or none at all"). This is a target market that will not buy needing to be prepped for that scenario. And I'm just trying to serve them with a gun they will buy and assuming they won't buy otherwise.

LibertyGun

May 19, 2014
    District 14, PRM
    So this is the refined spec after getting all the great feedback here:

Target market: people who want a home defense "nightstand" gun, that will have minimal training, need ultimate in simplicity, will never consider a gun with a slide or magazines. They are recoil averse and want small rounds.

Spec:
    - Med-large frame SA/DA revolver, light poly or alloy to minimize weight
    - Large cylinder to hold 9-10 rounds
    - 38 spl, 9mm, 380 ACP, 327 Fed, 32 H&R mag, or 32 ACP
    - Rails - preferably top and bottom (crimson trace grips could reduce this need to just a bottom rail for a light, although CT adds considerable cost)
    - Optimized for short range home defense (ie do not bother with features for carry, target shooting, long range shooting, hunting, etc...)
    - Assortment of grip sizes ESPECIALLY for smaller hands
    - Trigger pull on the lighter side as possible
    - Inexpensive (sub $1k, $500 sweet spot)

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    So this is the refined spec after getting all the great feedback here:

Target market: people who want a home defense "nightstand" gun, that will have minimal training, need ultimate in simplicity, will never consider a gun with a slide or magazines. They are recoil averse and want small rounds.

Spec:
    - Med-large frame SA/DA revolver, light poly or alloy to minimize weight
    - Large cylinder to hold 9-10 rounds
    - 38 spl, 9mm, 380 ACP, 327 Fed, 32 H&R mag, or 32 ACP
    - Rails - preferably top and bottom (crimson trace grips could reduce this need to just a bottom rail for a light, although CT adds considerable cost)
    - Optimized for short range home defense (ie do not bother with features for carry, target shooting, long range shooting, hunting, etc...)
    - Assortment of grip sizes ESPECIALLY for smaller hands
    - Trigger pull on the lighter side as possible
    - Inexpensive (sub $1k, $500 sweet spot)
    S&W makes a gun similar to your requirements but I know of no reason it should be polymer. That's really stretching it on large/medium frame revolver.

https://www.impactguns.com/smith-and-wesson-mp-357-5in-black-170292-022188702927.aspx

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Give me 5 minutes with you nay Sayers hating on the revolver. I'm not a revolver guy(because I'm shit hot with a semi), but I know the benefits to the zero trained user. Especially in the home environment. I haven't worked for many gun shops, but I did stay at a holiday inn express once.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Really though, a gas delayed system like the walther ccp might be the ticket. Small grip, simple ambi controls, and the gas delayed system allows it to have a very light recoil spring. It's the semi that's specifically marketed for people with trouble working the slides of other guns.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    S&W makes a gun similar to your requirements but I know of no reason it should be polymer. That's really stretching it on large/medium frame revolver.

https://www.impactguns.com/smith-and-wesson-mp-357-5in-black-170292-022188702927.aspx

That's pretty cool...I think my wish list got longer. The description of, "Revolver reliability with .357 magnum power" made me chuckle. It's about time somebody brought the two together. :rolleyes:

I just wonder why they didn't put the rail under the ejector? It seems like putting a light all the way out there by the muzzle is going to make it more nose heavy than it needs to be. :shrug:

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    I'm no Jerry Miculek and I've never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express but most experienced revolver shooters including myself can fire, shuck 6 and reload 6 before most SA guys are fumbling for their 2nd mag or forgetting to hit the slide release. And I'm sure that many slabs side shooters are very prepared for a FTF or FTE in your tidy whities and slightly disoriented from being waken from a sound sleep.

Wheel gun plus 1 or 2 speedloaders or moon clips will cover of most if not all HD/SD needs.

I love my 1911s, BHP and Glocks just as much as the next guy but for HD situations, I prefer to follow the KISS principle and go with my wheel guns to help prevent situational overloaded.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    My S&W .38 special has been my home defense gun for 35 years because of it's simplicity and dependability! No safety, no jams, always fires when the trigger is squeezed.

A set of Pachmayr rubber grips, and 125 grain JHP rounds are a great combination. The gun is much easier on the hand and target acquisition for follow up shots is awesome.

The original wood grips would allow the gun to rotate in my hand slightly after each shot making follow up shots take longer.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

Attachments

• whoopigoldbergview.jpg
      whoopigoldbergview.jpg
      39.6 KB · Views: 141

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members