Why does anyone need 30 round magazines or an AR15?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Objee

Oct 3, 2013
    When plinking are target shooting you "choose" not to reload as often. Its a convenience factor there.

And a Slide-Fire stock really chews up a 10-round mag much too quickly. :cool:

Dogmeat

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Montgomery County, MD
    I usually respond by saying that my guns, at least since I have owned them, have never killed a living thing, with the exception of a few blades of grass.

When I am target shooting, I spend a lot of time preparing myself, my firearms, and my ammunition. Once I am in position, why should I have to move before I am finished or ready? Every time I have to change magazines, I am moving the aim point of my firearm off of my intended target and removing my eyes from the sight line. It safer to keep the firearm pointed at the target for as long as possible and minimize any movement.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    If a 6'4", 280 lb. man forces his way into her home how many rounds would she like to have in her gun? Suppose there are two men? Last week a HoCo officer was shot and the shooter got away because the police weren't able to stop him.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    It's interesting all the way around - as I see it, the media has done a great job of vilifying firearms, and specifically "assault weapons," which is completely incongruent with the fact that comparatively very little crime has actually been committed with them, so in effect there would be no real reason to try to ban them. And of course that doesn't even begin to delve into the complexities of our fundamental, enumerated, constituational rights.

I find it interesting that the people who decry 30 round magazines seem to be ok with the 333,964 legal abortions performed in the US in 2012 alone, and an estimated 55 million since Roe v. Wade. I also find it an interesting contradiction that most people, both liberals and conservatives alike, don't think too long and hard about the detrimental effects of alcohol and/or tobacco and all that is associated with that.

When we really stop to look at some actual serious problems, it makes me wonder why the media spends so much time on guns - they don't cause near the harm in either lives lost or money spent than cars, alcohol or tobacco.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Why does anyone need an AR15?

Why does anyone need a gun that holds 30 rounds?

Recently had a conversation with a lady – said she was a Republican and was pro-gun, she said she supports others right to own a gun, but did not own any herself and had no interest in shooting one – she went on to ask “why does anyone need a gun that shoots 30 bullets.”

I asked her what kind of car she drove, she said a “Lexus.” I said “why do you need a Lexus, why not drive a Yugo?” She responded “I can afford it, I like the comfort, it’s what I wanted and it’s my choice.” I said “EXACTLY, why deny someone their choice of firearm?” She looked at me like the RCA Victor dog and said “do you really need 30 bullets to kill someone?” I did not want to get in the complexities of “Defence against tyranny etc…” The conversation continued …

I’m looking for some good comments that will make sense to the ignorant as to why anyone would want or need an AR15 or standard capacity magazines.

Please no wise cracks I really want some subtle, informative statements that will make others think and perhaps persuade them to open their minds and alter their thinking.

The store owner in this robbery exhausted the 30 round mag in this robbery.
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/for...ery-on-his-place-of-business-1-Dead-2-wounded

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Do I need 30 Bullets to shoot someone?

Yes, I do! Anyone hopped up on PCP, Bath Salts, or whatever other cannibal creating drug out there is.

I want all the bullets I can find to bring down the filthy animal.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I posted this elsewhere a while ago but its germane:

When I got a similar question from the Mrs. a few months ago I told her each firearm I own is for a different purpose, i.e. no 2 are for the same purpose. She wasn't buying it and was heading down the why does anyone need more than one firearm argument? So I took her over to the cutlery set on the kitchen counter. I explained that one knife was for carving meat, one was for bread, one was for paring small vegetables, etc. and that the only redundancy was in the steak knives. I told her I don't have any "steak knives" in the gun safe. Then I went over to the utensil drawer, pulled out a butter knife and handed it to her, and said if she didn't understand the concept or wanted to argue with me, that the butter knife would be her one "go to" knife, and that she would have to carve the turkey next Thanksgiving, because none of my firearms could do the job. Discussion was over! Really! She didn't talk to me for the rest of the night - but I got my point across.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Is it me or are these conversations hopeless and useless? To people who navigate by their "feelings" you are bringing apples to an orange-squeezing. What you are bringing is not welcome and no amount of discussion will change your apples into oranges for them.

The closest you got was talking about her 300+ horsepower Lexus...

rtruhn

Sep 12, 2013
    Gwynn Oak
    Is it me or are these conversations hopeless and useless?
    They don't have to be. Some people actually want to learn more and simply haven't been exposed to the rationale - they often find that the rhetoric in both camps is pretty empty. Providing "thoughtful" left-leaning folks with considered, logically consistent perspective actually does change minds on occasion. If their principles espouse the virtue of "broad-mindedness," then challenge them to live up to it! (It's worked for -- and on -- me in my life.)

rtruhn

Sep 12, 2013
    Gwynn Oak
    ... I went over to the utensil drawer, pulled out a butter knife and handed it to her, and said if she didn't understand the concept or wanted to argue with me, that the butter knife would be her one "go to" knife, and that she would have to carve the turkey next Thanksgiving ...

I'm going to be borrowing this comparison. I hope you won't mind.

B1web

Cogito Ergo Sum! (cogito)
    Jan 11, 2008
    I'm going with the t-shirt someone posted the other day. Why do I need one? 'Cause f-you that's why.

(Flame on)

UNcommon Arms

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 16, 2011
    Howard County
    I have encountered this question before as well, and here is the analogy I use:

If I'm out hunting a dangerous animal, like a large feral hog, I can do so with a bolt-action rifle from a tree stand. However, if I am out walking on the ground through thick brush, in an area with a population of feral hogs, and I have no idea where they are or which direction they could be coming from, I want something that shoots rapidly and holds as much ammo as possible. I don't want to get gored while I'm reloading. Facing an unknown threat in your house is no different. And we're talking about my life and the lives of my family members, with just me, and no backup... 30 rounds? I would have 100 rounds in my gun if I could!
    "Facing an unknown threat in your house is no different. And we're talking about my life and the lives of my family members, with just me, and no backup... 30 rounds? I would have 100 rounds in my gun if I could!"

Good point, my AR with std cap 30rd + my wife with hers and my 12yo daughter with hers that's 90 rds and we each are ready "jungle style" so we have 180 rounds at close hand... :-)

BadShot25

Oct 9, 2008
    Because you want one! Why justify a need?

She didn't justify a need for the Lexus with “I can afford it, I like the comfort, it’s what I wanted and it’s my choice."

Tell her that you'll give her reasons why you need a 30 round mag when she can give a reason why she needs a Lexus.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    How many well-trained LEO's, armed with AR15's and multiple 30 round mags were dispatched to take on one (1) bad guy at the Navy Yard?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom