• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CroftonBilly

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2011
    Crofton
    The Mid Atlantic Fireworks Festival is scheduled for this coming Saturday, April 22, 2017.

Hopefully Dirichlet will be along to give some insider info this year, but until then, here are some links for further details.

Official site:
    http://www.maff.ws/

Past MDS threads with lots of info/photos:
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=191158
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=171136
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=143637
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=111074

Dirichlet

Jan 3, 2013
    My apologies for not posting anything prior.
    I have a new baby at home, was in a wedding two weeks ago, and just returned two days ago from a 10-day sailing trip in the BVIs. Oh, and I've squeezed some work in there as well.
    I won't be attending this year's MAFF as it falls on my wife's birthday. She lets me get away with a lot... but that would be pushing my luck a little bit too far.

As posted above, MAFF is on the 22nd at Allen's Fresh Farm.

Currently there are six shows slated for the evening. The final show, choreographed by the event's founder (Tim J.), will be dedicated to Nancy Wolfe. Nancy, one of the property owners, passed away a little over a month ago. She was a kind-hearted and soft-spoken woman who was also our biggest fan. Without her help and the use of her farm, MAFF would not be what it is today.

Time line:
    5pm: Gates open to public
    7pm (ish): shows start, probably with "open" shooting (i.e. non-choreographed fireworks shot by the pyrotechnicians for their own enjoyment or research)
    10pm: final show ends

The Wicomico Valley Foundation asks for a $10.00/vehicle donation. Donations will be split among the Newburg Volunteer Rescue Squad & Fire Department and other local charities. Please keep in mind that MAFF wouldn't be there without the support of the local Grange and the Newburg VRSFD. Please show your support.

The links posted by CroftonBilly provide useful information with regard to parking and viewing. Please take the time to go through them.

Cheers, and enjoy the shows!

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    MAFF puts on a great show my family been almost every year but missed last year it was to cold, this year should be good weather 60's light winds.

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    Did it go off rain or shine? Looking like a decent rain chance for Saturday evening.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Did it go off rain or shine? Looking like a decent rain chance for Saturday evening.

Good question. The weather is not looking promising for this event. I don't want to drive all the way up there if it is going to be cancelled due to rain.

Dirichlet

Jan 3, 2013
    As of right now, there's a "chance" of rain on Saturday night, increasing the later it gets.
    From my experience, unless the rain is strong and persistent the shows won't be affected. Everything will be set up and ready to go long in advance, and precautions can be taken against the moisture where necessary. Also (to my knowledge) there is no rain date, meaning the entire shows would need to be pulled, broken down, and re-entered to the magazines if the show gets cancelled (not a small task). So, there's an impetus to put the pyro in the air if at all possible.
    Can I guarantee the weather? Of course not. But, I'd make the trip if I could. :party29:

slybarman

Feb 10, 2013
    I've not been to this yet. Are spectators sitting out in a field? Recommendations of what to bring to watch the show? Any recommendations what to bring for threat of rain?

Dirichlet

Jan 3, 2013
    I've not been to this yet. Are spectators sitting out in a field? Recommendations of what to bring to watch the show? Any recommendations what to bring for threat of rain?
    There is a viewing area that is front & center that is for chairs/blankets only - no vehicles allowed. That being said, if you arrive early enough, you can park directly behind that seating area and view from inside your vehicle. All of the parking/seating areas are short (mowed) grassy field.
    It's up to you what to bring. Some bring full on tailgate-type setups, some bring just a foldable lawn chair.

slybarman

Feb 10, 2013
    There is a viewing area that is front & center that is for chairs/blankets only - no vehicles allowed. That being said, if you arrive early enough, you can park directly behind that seating area and view from inside your vehicle. All of the parking/seating areas are short (mowed) grassy field.
    It's up to you what to bring. Some bring full on tailgate-type setups, some bring just a foldable lawn chair.
    Roger. Thank you.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Y'all feeling optimistic?

Their Facebook page said that they were going to do everything possible to keep the show going tonight, but, to check for updates.

They had a rain date for tomorrow but it's supposed to be worse tomorrow.

slybarman

Feb 10, 2013
    We backed out. Wife and kids just weren't excited about going in the rain.

Anybody here go? How was it?

CroftonBilly

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2011
    Crofton
    Good show all around. Rained during the whole drive down, but was basically dry during the fireworks spectaculars. Thanks a lot to the land owners, Fire Departments, & fireworks teams for another great experience!

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    We backed out also due to the rain. I was more worried about driving in the corn field that the rain would have made it a mud pit for the cars. I really hated to miss it. Hopefully next year the weather will be better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom