• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darkness

May 29, 2008
    Mount Airy
    Like the title says can we still get them here or did I miss the boat?

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    The 556R is definitely still good. The 556 is a gray area. It's not banned by name, and they were sold cash and carry before the new law. However, MSP has back peddled and tried to say its a copy of the 551/552 series which are banned.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    The 556R is definitely still good. The 556 is a gray area. It's not banned by name, and they were sold cash and carry before the new law. However, MSP has back peddled and tried to say its a copy of the 551/552 series which are banned.

It is only a copy if it is .223 caliber. Any other caliber including 5.56 is not a copy.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    It is only a copy if it is .223 caliber. Any other caliber including 5.56 is not a copy.

I think that is a strained argument, and I am not too sure it would be successful. I would simply point out that the 556 and 551 receivers are different (556 takes STANAG magazines), so they are not the same firearm or copies of each other.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I think that is a strained argument, and I am not too sure it would be successful. I would simply point out that the 556 and 551 receivers are different (556 takes STANAG magazines), so they are not the same firearm or copies of each other.

The problem is that on Sig rifles, the upper receiver is the serialized part, not the lower.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County

The legislature specified what was regulated and now banned. Unless the firearm meets those specifications OR is a 'copycat' then it is not banned.

Please stop giving them more than they are already trying to take.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    ...the 556 is essentially a 551-SP...the semi-auto version of the 551...the method of operation and mechanical function are identical...they differ in that the 556 has a lighter aluminum lower that can utilize NATO STANAG magagines...and the rear of the lower reciever is modified to be compatable with M4 type collapsing stocks...

...virtually all the parts are readily interchangeable

...gas block assembly
    ...gas valve
    ...gas piston and spring
    ...gas tube

...the entire bolt carrier group

...bolt and all it's components
    ...carrier and all it's components
    ...firing pin and spring
    ...charging handle
    ...charging handle catch assembly

...the entire fire control group including springs
    ...selector assembly
    ...bolt catch assembly
    ...pressure point screw assembly
    ...take down / pivot pins
    ...bolt cover and hardware

...handguards
    ...pistol grip

...* the 556 / 551 barrel does not interchange...the rear is treaded differently...likewise the treading for a muzzle attachment differs...

...* the swiss lower will fit and function with the 556 upper...however...when attaching a 556 lower to a swiss upper a small amount of metal must be relieved from the lower portion of the trunion to accomadate the Nato STANAG magazines...

...* the swiss folding stock will not interchange with the collapsing stock...

...* the magazine catch assembly in the 551 differs from that in the 556...and will not interchange...

...* the magazines do not interchange...

I think it would be easier to argue that the 556 is not a copy. I think the .223 vs 5.56 argument would take some very good convincing to be successful. I still believe that the 556 is not a copy of the 551/550 and should be legal for sale in MD. This is all my opinion.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Is the 556 a copy of the model 550/551? Clearly not, since Sig has a separate gun, the 551A1, that's supposed to be a copy of the 551. They wouldn't need that if the 556 were a true copy.

What the MSP says, though, I don't know.

Venge

Dec 6, 2013
    Frederick Co.
    Well SIG's state compliance list is obviously wrong - the 716 is fine here in MD.

Their state compliance list doesn't mean "those rifles are legal." It means "these rifles have modifications to make them state compliant. There is no 716 model with compliance mods. There is however an m400 with a state compliant package that is no longer md legal.

....that's if I understand correctly. I do have both rifles.

HaddenUSAF

Dec 9, 2012
    Has anyone purchased one?

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but has anyone purchased a Sig 556 since the ban here in Maryland?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom