• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • c1991a1

Aug 22, 2009
    I'm heading-up to my brother's house near Deep Creek Lake and he's fine with me target shooting with his guns at the nearby range. My question is: is it legal for me to transport his firearms to a range? I'm not barred from possessing a firearm under federal of state law, I'm lawfully staying at a family member's house, and lawfully using his lawfully owned guns. That's a lot of doing things lawfully! But with Maryland's draconian laws, I just want to make sure I'm in the clear.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    NFA items have to be in the possession and control of the person name on the tax stamp or a member of the trust.

That is why trusts.

Even in your house, if you have individual NFA item, it needs to be locked up and only the owner having the combination or key.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    NFA items have to be in the possession and control of the person name on the tax stamp or a member of the trust.

That is why trusts.

Even in your house, if you have individual NFA item, it needs to be locked up and only the owner having the combination or key.

Thanks for the assist.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    SB281/MD SAFE Act does not make loaning a handgun to a non prohibited person illegal except during the waiting period during a purchase. (Actually its older laws that apply.) You can loan a handgun to a non prohibited person under MD law, but if you decide to sell it to them, they must return it to your possession until you get the OK to transfer email, then you can give it back to them

c1991a1

Aug 22, 2009
    I was always under the impression that firearms need to be stored in a reasonable manner, such that they are not immediately accessible to certain people, like children. I'm not sure that they need to be "locked-up."

What drives me nuts is that I've been shooting since I was a kid. I've come back to Maryland from overseas/out-of-state and the gun laws are insane. Growing-up, we never worried about this stuff. You were safe and responsible and just followed basic safety rules.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Back in the 80's, I used to throw my AK on the front seat and head to the range without giving it a second thought. Nobody gave a damn.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Yep the transport statute applies to handguns not long guns.

As noted only requirement for a long gun is unloaded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom