• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    It is with considerable trepidation that I am considering selling my stainless, 6 7/8" bull barrel Ruger Mark II to be able to get a Mark IV Hunter. The Mark II has been a constant companion for longer than I remember... probably 25-30 years. It is my favorite target pistol, until it comes time to clean it...

Am I going to regret trading for the Mark IV? The fiber optic sights and the easy takedown are loudly calling my name. Don't have the option of keeping the Mark II, I plan to sell the Mark II and a Buckmark Contour to fund the Mark IV purchase, so it's a commitment. I think I am ready, am I making a mistake?

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I love my Mark IV. No complaints. It is stupid easy to take down and way faster to clean than the previous generations. Damn accurate too.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Can you afford to keep your mk2 and buy the mk4? I have both and love them both. The sights and easy takedowns make it very tempting. I also noticed they machine the mk4 lower from a block not a casting like the mk2 and mk3. To me the mk4 is a more thought out gun. It has the mag release like most full size guns have as well. Still love the mk2. But the mk4 is several steps above.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I would not get rid of the MKII to get a MKIV...not really an upgrade other than teardown. Also no way you should have to sell both to fund MK IV. The MKII is probably most desired model, at least IMO. I have 4 MK's going from 1 thru 3, I have a 76 Bicentennial that has been disassembled ONCE in over 40 years...runs great and used often. I spray it out, clean the barrel and lube.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I've got a couple of MKII's, including a bull barrel model that has also been a faithful companion for decades. But I haven't touched it since getting the MKIV.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    For all that the Mark IV may or may not prove to be, it'll never be your "constant companion for longer than I remember...probably 25-30 years".

For me at least, no way I can cut loose a favorite handgun with that much history.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    I've shot probably 10,000 rounds or more out of my Mk ll bull barrel (no exaggeration) and have never torn it down past the grips. Hosed it down with either brake or carb cleaner then spray it all with Ballistrol and bore brush and Hoppe's, good for another 1,000 rounds. :) Wash,rinse and repeat.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    I have the MKIII Target in stainless. No way I could justify just for an easier to clean gun. I have handled the MKIV and it is simple to disassemble but I have no problem tearing my MKIII down and putting it back together. Just takes a little longer.

Rhoppe

May 13, 2017
    Maryland
    Just a thought if you want to stick with the MK II - I installed a Majestic Arms speed strip kit which lets pull the lock pin out with an allen wrench, can always be reversed if you decide to sell later and want it back to original format. I have a MK III but it also apparently works for the Mk I or II. http://majesticarms.com/id10.html

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I love my Mark IV. No complaints. It is stupid easy to take down and way faster to clean than the previous generations. Damn accurate too.

Same here. To the OP, I guess it depends on how you feel about the MKII. Although it functioned and shot flawlessly, I had a Mark III that I never shot after the initial break-in period because it was such a PITA to disassemble and clean. Even after I got the hang of it, it was a PITA. For me, having a gun that I didn't want to shoot because of that was a good enough reason to get rid of it to upgrade. Heck, I hated the first one so much I almost gave it away on trade. YMMV.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    I would not let a MkII go to get a IV. Maybe a III for the IV since I don't like the lawyer stuff added to the III and it still has the annoying takedown.

I removed the LCI and replaced it with the Tandemkross blank.

https://www.tandemkross.com/LCI-Replacement-Insert--Stainless-Steel-for-Mark-III-and-2245-_p_62.html

I also installed the tandemkross hammer bushing. This makes it a little easier to disassemble and removes the mag disconnect lawyer feature.

https://www.tandemkross.com/Steel-Hammer-Bushing-for-Mark-III-and-2245-Pistols_p_9.html

Just a thought if you want to stick with the MK II - I installed a Majestic Arms speed strip kit which lets pull the lock pin out with an allen wrench, can always be reversed if you decide to sell later and want it back to original format. I have a MK III but it also apparently works for the Mk I or II. http://majesticarms.com/id10.html

That's pretty neat!:thumbsup:

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy

thanks everyone. yes the speed strip kit was going to be my answer before the IV came out. it could still work. I may hold off till this fall and see if I can swing keeping the II and still getting the IV... after all, my grandson is growing up and grandpap will need to take him to the range when he comes of age...

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    For all that the Mark IV may or may not prove to be, it'll never be your "constant companion for longer than I remember...probably 25-30 years".

For me at least, no way I can cut loose a favorite handgun with that much history.

I agree. I haven't owned any of my guns that long and there's many (almost all of them) that I wouldn't part with now. I'm absolutely certain I'd regret selling and pine for the old girl if I had a comparable pistol.

SVD686

Jan 25, 2016
    Annapolis
    I bought a Mark IV and two days after the waiting period I received the recall notice on the safety. That process was painless and it is now one of my favorite pistols, but then I don't have a Mark II for comparison. Also based on my short time on this forum I've learned that adding is always better than subtracting.

bob finger

Jul 24, 2016
    In my opinion the Mark II is the top of the heap for the Ruger Mark series. If take down is an issue there is an after market fix, as has been mentioned earlier. The one to avoid is the Mark III, unless you are a product liability attorney.

If you like your MK II, the MK IV won't do much for you other than easier take down. If you want a MK IV go get one and make the retention decision for yourself. A man can never have too many .22 RF guns. bob

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    I own a MK IV and love it. I messed with the 2 and 3 a number of times and personally had no interest because of the design. Paper clip, upside down, rubber mallet, naaahhhh, too frustrating! Ruger got it right with the MK IV however and if you get one, you may not want to shoot the 2 anymore.

dMQz0rA.jpg

Fs0LdxH.jpg

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I own a MKII standard and a MK IV 22/45 Lite.

I love them both. The MKII is just the all time classic, and I love the construction and quality. The MKIV is great to shoot and a silly fun suppressor host. I also love the takedown.

Would I give up the MK II for the MK IV? No, but that's because my MK II was an inheritance from my dad and it's the pistol I learned to shoot with as a kid. It's also a different gun than the Lite is.

If I was making the OP's choice, I think I'd go for the MKIV. It's a "better" gun in just about every objective sense, and they fixed all the stupid they did on the MKIII.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Mk II mags are incompatible with Mk IVs. Also, you have to contend with the crazy ECI and mag disconnect. Stick with the Mk IIs.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Mk II mags are incompatible with Mk IVs. Also, you have to contend with the crazy ECI and mag disconnect. Stick with the Mk IIs.

ECI? If you're talking about the loaded chamber indicator thing, they took that out of the MK IV.

Mag disconnect you can remove it yourself at home in about ten minutes by replacing it with a washer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom