MD CCW, is it legal to put pistol in car lock box to enter "gun free zone" store.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    On top of that I have this to worry about!
    Notice:Maryland has a unit called, “Maryland Coordination and Analysis Center.”They have license plate reader cameras around the state that read license plates of vehicles. Some are connected to Criminal Background Check programs and Permit/License Holder lists from the different states that will supply them with that information. Do use caution when even driving through Maryland. They can know if you have a firearms permit/license without even stopping you.

You have more than that to worry about!

Maryland - and who knows how many other states - apparently shares its firearms info with Canada. There's a recent thread around here somewhere that touches on the topic. Being on official firearms lists apparently lights up the Canadian border police, and they can, and sometimes do, make your crossing into a memorable, if considerably less than pleasant, experience.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I wish some of the laws and regulations more more clear. I try to read up on the laws and ask the right questions. But they always seem to be up to interpretation. When the penalty is a life time of being prohibited, jailed and or becoming a felon. I want to accurately know the law.

example: where i live, no matter what way I drive, walk, hike, jump or skip I will pass with in 1,000 feet of a school. I was always told you can not pass with in 1,000 feet of a school. But I can not find any law that says that. Just laws that say you can not have any type of weapon on school property. So i think I am good! But i would like to know for sure!

I am a member of many gun clubs in PA where I use to live and I have family up there. I have my MD and PA permits. With that said, I as well as the rest of the family take trips to PA often. We load up the car and follow the Laws for the firearms we take. But according to the MD law...If i stop for 1 second to get gas, fix a flat, bathroom break or car trouble. I am now breaking MD firearm transportation laws. Because my trip was "interrupted" before making it to the PA line.

Notice:Maryland has a unit called, “Maryland Coordination and Analysis Center.”They have license plate reader cameras around the state that read license plates of vehicles. Some are connected to Criminal Background Check programs and Permit/License Holder lists from the different states that will supply them with that information. Do use caution when even driving through Maryland. They can know if you have a firearms permit/license without even stopping you.

But basically from what i understand and not from what I know...If i was on my way home and i needed to stop some where and i was carrying...i simply could not stop. even if it was for gas, flat tire or a drive thru! Now with an unrestricted permit things are a little easier...but are they?

But from all that I read and again not know...you can not lock your gun in your car! For any reason.

There are current NO states that tie firearms ownership or carry permit ownership with license pate data. The above is continually perpetuated by a story about a guy from Tampa that was pulled over in Maryland and they asked about his permit from running his license, which is the furthest from the truth.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    You have more than that to worry about!

Maryland - and who knows how many other states - apparently shares its firearms info with Canada. There's a recent thread around here somewhere that touches on the topic. Being on official firearms lists apparently lights up the Canadian border police, and they can, and sometimes do, make your crossing into a memorable, if considerably less than pleasant, experience.

Maryland has not and does not share it's wear and carry information with any other states. They cannot under FSA2013, because that information is protected and may not be shared, even with other LE agencies, unless an active investigation and a proper warrant is presented on the single person being investigated.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    But from all that I read and again not know...you can not lock your gun in your car! For any reason.
    This is what I am understanding is illegal if done while carrying legally.

Your wear and carry permit isn't limited to one pistol.
    Keyword here is "carry".

The above is continually perpetuated by a story about a guy from Tampa that was pulled over in Maryland and they asked about his permit from running his license, which is the furthest from the truth.
    IIRC, somehow during the stop they asked the wife something like "Where is the gun?" (fishing) and she knew he carried in their home state (legally)so her answer may have been "in the glove box" and I think this is why they thought there was a gun? and not by data search/DL scan. Also, there was never a firearm in this car in MD. That was a while ago so my memory could be off.

Slowhand

Pre-Banned
    Dec 13, 2011
    In a van, down by the river.
    You may want to sit down, but the people writing these laws don't know what they're talking about. They create this legislation only to either DO SOMETHING ABOUT CRIME FOR THE CHILDREN (appease the ignorant masses) or exert more government control over our lives. They don't believe the laws actually do anything constructive like lower crime or protect citizens. With that in mind, you'll understand why the laws are so vague. They have to be. If they were specific, there would be 1000 ways to get around them, and it would be clear they didn't do anything.

Full disclosure: I'm about 2/3 of the way through Unintended Consequences right now, and I'm basically angry all the time. The stuff he wrote about in the mid-90s is even worse today. The way he logically demonstrates the complete farce behind creating almost all of these infringements should make it clear to almost anyone that it's all about control and appeasement. And I'm not even to the actual meat of the story yet!

Where did you find this book? Local libraries don't have it. Cheapest I see online is $75 for a paperback. Looks very interesting.

JWBanshee

Jul 1, 2009
    From what I gather, you cannot store a weapon in a lock box, it has to be unloaded , al;l bullets removed from mag, then a cable lock thru it , then in the lock box.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Want to post a cite for the bolded above?

I guess I wasn’t quite right. Example from UMB https://www.umaryland.edu/policies-and-procedures/library/public-safety/policies/xi-200a.php

College park has a similar one if I can track it down.

Students and employees will be disciplined up to and including termination or expulsion. Non-affiliated persons will be barred from campus.

So I guess if you ever came back you’d have a trespassing charge. Plus probably going to get arrested if I were to bet anything, even if you get released after a few hours (also good luck getting your gun(s) back without a fight and/or serious time).

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I wish some of the laws and regulations more more clear. I try to read up on the laws and ask the right questions. But they always seem to be up to interpretation. When the penalty is a life time of being prohibited, jailed and or becoming a felon. I want to accurately know the law.

example: where i live, no matter what way I drive, walk, hike, jump or skip I will pass with in 1,000 feet of a school. I was always told you can not pass with in 1,000 feet of a school. But I can not find any law that says that. Just laws that say you can not have any type of weapon on school property. So i think I am good! But i would like to know for sure!

I am a member of many gun clubs in PA where I use to live and I have family up there. I have my MD and PA permits. With that said, I as well as the rest of the family take trips to PA often. We load up the car and follow the Laws for the firearms we take. But according to the MD law...If i stop for 1 second to get gas, fix a flat, bathroom break or car trouble. I am now breaking MD firearm transportation laws. Because my trip was "interrupted" before making it to the PA line.

But basically from what i understand and not from what I know...If i was on my way home and i needed to stop some where and i was carrying...i simply could not stop. even if it was for gas, flat tire or a drive thru! Now with an unrestricted permit things are a little easier...but are they?

Please stop with this nonsense. MD law DOES NOT say that you can’t stop for gas or drive thru, etc. while carrying or transporting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    Where did you find this book? Local libraries don't have it. Cheapest I see online is $75 for a paperback. Looks very interesting.

Yeah, it's like the Anarchist's Cookbook or something. You can find it here.

https://stlccw.com/product/unintended-consequences-softcover/

Be advised, I wasn't kidding about being 2/3 of the way through and the main story not even starting. The gist of the book is that a guy who is real good with guns and a bunch of other stuff gets set up by corrupt ATF agents and decides to fight back. About the first half of the book is nothing but short bits about fictionalized versions of real events. Everything ties together, and it's a great read, but the format is different than most books.

I'm thinking about buying a 2nd autographed copy for when it goes out of print again. People are paying over $100 for them!

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    Please stop with this nonsense. MD law DOES NOT say that you can’t stop for gas or drive thru, etc. while carrying or transporting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sorry! I read this on Maryland Gun Laws .us
    thats where i got that from!

Federal Law on Transporting Firearms:§ 926A.Interstate Transportation of FirearmsNotwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.Note:If you travel through MD with the firearm unloaded and secured you are covered under Federal law. If you interrupt your trip while in Maryland, you come under state law, and may not transport a handgun even unloaded and cased, except to a few designated destinations (range, residence, etc.) without a Maryland Permit.These restrictionson transportation do not apply to long guns.

Then i read this!

Criminal Law § 4-203. Wearing, carrying, or transporting handgun Westlaw Link 4-203(a)Prohibited. --(1)Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not:(i)wear, carry, or transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, on or about the person;(ii)wear, carry, or knowingly transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, in a vehicle traveling on a road or parking lotgenerally used by the public, highway, waterway, or airway of the State;(b)Exceptions. --This section does not prohibit:(3)the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide residences of the person, or between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the business is operated and owned substantially by the person if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;(4)the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources-sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;(5)the moving by a bona fide gun collector of part or all of the collector's gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;(6)the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person on real estate that the person owns or leases or where the person resides or within the confines of a business establishment that the person owns or leases;

so i was sure i could not stop for gas. Am i wrong?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Federal Law on Transporting Firearms:§ 926A.Interstate Transportation ... If you interrupt your trip while in Maryland ... so i was sure i could not stop for gas. Am i wrong?

Presuming this is your train of thought: no, you're wrong. That "trip interruption" refers to your transit through Maryland under FOPA protection turning into a STOP in Maryland, like over night at a hotel. Such that MD becomes (temporarily) your destination, rather than a state you're passing through on your way to wherever you're going that allows you to have that pistol with you.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    This is what I am understanding is illegal if done while carrying legally.

Keyword here is "carry".

IIRC, somehow during the stop they asked the wife something like "Where is the gun?" (fishing) and she knew he carried in their home state (legally)so her answer may have been "in the glove box" and I think this is why they thought there was a gun? and not by data search/DL scan. Also, there was never a firearm in this car in MD. That was a while ago so my memory could be off.

Pretty close, traffic stop for speeding and unsafe lane changes, provided DL, carry permit was behind it in wallet. Officer saw it, and asked if any firearms in the vehicle, driver said no, wife said, he usually keeps one in the glove box.

You got the high points, not bad.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    sorry! I read this on Maryland Gun Laws .us
    thats where i got that from!

Federal Law on Transporting Firearms:§ 926A.Interstate Transportation of FirearmsNotwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.Note:If you travel through MD with the firearm unloaded and secured you are covered under Federal law. If you interrupt your trip while in Maryland, you come under state law, and may not transport a handgun even unloaded and cased, except to a few designated destinations (range, residence, etc.) without a Maryland Permit.These restrictionson transportation do not apply to long guns.

Then i read this!

Criminal Law § 4-203. Wearing, carrying, or transporting handgun Westlaw Link 4-203(a)Prohibited. --(1)Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not:(i)wear, carry, or transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, on or about the person;(ii)wear, carry, or knowingly transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, in a vehicle traveling on a road or parking lotgenerally used by the public, highway, waterway, or airway of the State;(b)Exceptions. --This section does not prohibit:(3)the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide residences of the person, or between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the business is operated and owned substantially by the person if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;(4)the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources-sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;(5)the moving by a bona fide gun collector of part or all of the collector's gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;(6)the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person on real estate that the person owns or leases or where the person resides or within the confines of a business establishment that the person owns or leases;

so i was sure i could not stop for gas. Am i wrong?

Yes, you are incorrect, same with your assumption of becoming broke down by the side of the road, or picking up/dropping off someone to go shooting/went shooting with.

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    Presuming this is your train of thought: no, you're wrong. That "trip interruption" refers to your transit through Maryland under FOPA protection turning into a STOP in Maryland, like over night at a hotel. Such that MD becomes (temporarily) your destination, rather than a state you're passing through on your way to wherever you're going that allows you to have that pistol with you.

Yes, you are incorrect, same with your assumption of becoming broke down by the side of the road, or picking up/dropping off someone to go shooting/went shooting with.

Ok! See this is what I was talking about. How things are so unclear. I was always told...never read...to always go straight to and straight home from! All i knew was what i read in them posts. But my new understanding is that i can of course load up with everything secured properly and make my drive...when the kids say "are we their yet" I can shut them up with a stop at McDonald's! LOL. And not go to jail!

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Thanks Danb.

Got this today. I'm guessing there will be some interesting questions. I've only been to Bowie twice since being robbed @ lunchtime there, once to Home Depot and the "Patriot Picket Panera" (bumpstock bill). As a post earlier in this thread stated, they don't really know MD law well either.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-18 at 2.39.46 PM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2019-09-18 at 2.39.46 PM.jpg
      54.7 KB · Views: 246

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Meh. Most public speaking "seminars" is just someone telling a bunch of people stuff they already know, don't forget to go to this website and do this, buy my book that's on sale for a one time only discounted price. Lol

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Ok! See this is what I was talking about. How things are so unclear. I was always told...never read...to always go straight to and straight home from! All i knew was what i read in them posts. But my new understanding is that i can of course load up with everything secured properly and make my drive...when the kids say "are we their yet" I can shut them up with a stop at McDonald's! LOL. And not go to jail!

Look, there is no clear legal answer on this because the scope of 4-203 has not been tested in the courts and thus there is no case law. If you want to be perfectly safe, go directly to and from the range without any stops. If you stop you will then be dependent on the discretion of the LEO and the prosecutor. Most are reasonable. Some are not. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom