• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    Just moved to Queenstown from Idaho. We don't have hurricanes in Idaho. Nor do we have this kind of humidity. I was planning to keep my firearms and reloading components in my barn/shed in the back yard but what do I need to do to protect my firearms and components (powder especially) from the humidity? I don't have room in the tiny house that we bought. Ideas?

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    NOT in Maryland! You are living in a temperate RAIN FORREST! Add a room to the house, to keep these things in a climate controlled atmosphere, and a GOOD safe to protect against theft (just as likely as RUST).

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Just moved to Queenstown from Idaho. We don't have hurricanes in Idaho. Nor do we have this kind of humidity. I was planning to keep my firearms and reloading components in my barn/shed in the back yard but what do I need to do to protect my firearms and components (powder especially) from the humidity? I don't have room in the tiny house that we bought. Ideas?

You'll have to find room for it inside.
    Its not fit to keep your stuff outside in our climate.
    Don't even try.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    It's time to think about building an addition. Welcome!

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    You'll have to find room for it inside.
    Its not fit to keep your stuff outside in our climate.
    Don't even try.

Right there.
    You might have to figure how to consolidate, different storage lockers, etc...but you have to control the climate.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    like they said....no way no how in a shed or barn. Basements can be fine if done right. I have a finished basement with central HVAC, a dehumidifier and a golden rod in the safe and I am on the western side of the bay. No issues for the last 21 years. Make room for some kind of safe, maybe look into those in wall types.

boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    Thanks to all of you for your thoughts.

So just to be sure I'm getting it through my thick skull...even a shed that is fully insulated and has an air conditioner won't be good enough to protect the firearms? I assume that climate controlled storage unit would do it?

And what about the powder for reloading. Can I reload in the shed or will all my powder get ruined if stored out there?

And finally...if I have had my firearms out there for a month now, am I already in trouble with all of them?

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    I keep most of my ammo and reloading supplies in unconditioned spaces. Also I am not comfortable keeping that much explosive in the living areas of my house. As long as everything is in air tight packaging you should be fine. The plastic containers powder comes in is ok. All ammo goes in 50cal cans. Make sure the seals are ok. Try to organize so that they are opened as little as possible. Label the cans on the outside so you dont have to rummage around in them all.

Use desiccant packs in everything. Buy a assortment of large reusable desiccants(Eva-Dry), and the disposable white mesh packs. You can also re-use the ones that come in packaging by heating in an oven to drive all the absorbed water out.

Any exposed metal will start to get a rust patina in a few days, especially with the weather the past few weeks. I keep all my guns in conditioned space. In a shed you need to keep everything oiled well. A reloading press for example will develop some patina on non-painted surfaces in no time.

Welcome to MD, where even the climate is trying to take your guns away!

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    Wait a minute ... is this the same as loading up your binary triggers and bumpstocks for a cruise down the Bay?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Thanks to all of you for your thoughts.

So just to be sure I'm getting it through my thick skull...even a shed that is fully insulated and has an air conditioner won't be good enough to protect the firearms? I assume that climate controlled storage unit would do it?

And what about the powder for reloading. Can I reload in the shed or will all my powder get ruined if stored out there?

And finally...if I have had my firearms out there for a month now, am I already in trouble with all of them?

If it's insulated and heated/cooled to similar level as your house you would be OK. The security issue would be another matter. Check your guns now and oil them and see what they look like, probably hasn't been long enough to be really bad. I think I'd want to keep the primers and powder in the house.

Where in Marylandistan do you now reside? Crime in MD is much worse than in ID.
    If you want to store powder and primers in a shed, you should be fine provided they are in a well sealed container with dessicant or a golden rod. Do not keep your firearms in a shed. It is a just a matter of time before they get stolen.
    As far as reloading in the shed, as long as it is reasonably insulated and climate controlled (AC and heat) you should be fine to make one into a reloading room.

Once again, do not keep your guns out there.

ETA- A broken/non working dorm fridge makes a great storage vessel for powders and primers and they can be had for free. A pound of dessicant can be had for cheap.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Welcome. Why did you move here from Idaho? Seems like you moved away from paradise.

Just in case others didnt make it clear, dont keep your guns in the shed. You ain't in Idaho anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom