• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    9mm has like a 40" drop at 200yds if you zero at 25yds. I don't regard that as usable in anything other than a static range situation.

From a pistol. Not really a true indication of pcc performance. BBTI shows Corbon JHP 115gr +P going 1524fps out of a 16" sub2000. Plugging that into
    http://gundata.org/ballistic-calculator/
    w/ a default 100yd zero (who would use 25yd for a pcc?), 1.5" optic over bore height (running a red dot on your pcc right?) you get +1.8" max at 60yds, -8.5" at 150yds, and -25" at 200yd. A far better result.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    From a pistol. Not really a true indication of pcc performance. BBTI shows Corbon JHP 115gr +P going 1524fps out of a 16" sub2000. Plugging that into
    http://gundata.org/ballistic-calculator/
    w/ a default 100yd zero (who would use 25yd for a pcc?), 1.5" optic over bore height (running a red dot on your pcc right?) you get +1.8" max at 60yds, -8.5" at 150yds, and -25" at 200yd. A far better result.

Even if it was a 40" drop, that is about the same that 308 drops in 400 yards, still well within a decent shooters ability to hit a target. At that range 9mm slows enough to loose almost 1/2 it's energy, retaining only about 200lb ft, or about the same as 380 at the muzzle. I shoot my PCC out to 200 yards, still rings steel just fine, and should still has enough force to knock down a couple silouettes

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    9mm has like a 40" drop at 200yds if you zero at 25yds. I don't regard that as usable in anything other than a static range situation. Stuffing a 16" barrel on it is not going to dramatically change that; to paraphrase a great website, pistol calibers are pistol calibers, rifle calibers are rifle calibers.

I don't think anyone is really expecting to use this rifle for anything purposeful at 200 yards.This is a great vehicle gun or home defense rifle that allows you to use your pistol mags. Imagine carrying a pistol and being able to have this puppy in your vehicle incase you need to stretch out to 50-75 yards or so? Very useful, if you ask me.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    PCCs have been around for over 100 years. They have their place in anyone's arsenal. That's why I have several of them. Two lever guns, one pump gun, and a couple of semi-autos. Inside 100 yards, they're significantly better and more accurate than a pistol. I bring my PCC AR to the range a lot and have new shooters use it after their friends let them shoot a handgun for the first time. The newbs tend to be a lot more accurate at a lot longer range with the PCC versus a handgun. And with the price of ARs dropping like rocks, they're being priced almost down to handgun levels. Heck, even this Ruger PCC costs about as much as a Ruger revolver. And with big stick magazines, way more firepower. They're easy to shoot accurately, and the recoil is pretty light. And for you Maryland residents, no HQL required.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    PCCs have been around for over 100 years. They have their place in anyone's arsenal. That's why I have several of them. Two lever guns, one pump gun, and a couple of semi-autos. Inside 100 yards, they're significantly better and more accurate than a pistol. I bring my PCC AR to the range a lot and have new shooters use it after their friends let them shoot a handgun for the first time. The newbs tend to be a lot more accurate at a lot longer range with the PCC versus a handgun. And with the price of ARs dropping like rocks, they're being priced almost down to handgun levels. Heck, even this Ruger PCC costs about as much as a Ruger revolver. And with big stick magazines, way more firepower. They're easy to shoot accurately, and the recoil is pretty light. And for you Maryland residents, no HQL required.

Well said. Effective close in, accurate, fun, and cost-effective to shoot (except maybe .45 an 10mm) what more could you want? I cant believe I am saying this but generally as you get older the urge for more power tends to diminish.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    I have seen some reports of end-users getting their hands on PCCs.

Off-hand at 100 I could put 17/17 on a 10” steel plate with irons. Not that impressive, but it was fun and not difficult at all.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask, I may not have the answer but should be able to get one.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Here's a slick little 9mm carbine that's sighted out to 800 meters.

Arty08.jpg

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Back in the early to mid 80’s I was becoming proficient with 44 Magnum handguns. I also had a Ruger 44 Carbine. Studying the ballistic tables I realized the range gains I made with the added velocity was not great. So I reasoned why carry the carbine? Sold it. For games their great. If I truly need a carbine then I need a rifle cartridge also.

That said, I still like this Ruger PCC.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Back in the early to mid 80’s I was becoming proficient with 44 Magnum handguns. I also had a Ruger 44 Carbine. Studying the ballistic tables I realized the range gains I made with the added velocity was not great. So I reasoned why carry the carbine? Sold it. For games their great. If I truly need a carbine then I need a rifle cartridge also.

That said, I still like this Ruger PCC.

Much depends on what each is compared to. Have a lever PCC in 357, can top 1500lb-ft of energy with handloads, can push 125 and 158gr bullets about as hard as 7.62X39, friends daughter took a deer with it. While the same load can be fired in my 4" 686, it loses several hundred FPS, and is BRUTAL to try to control, flash and blast is ridiculous, but in the carbine it''s actually kinda tame. Not to mention I have 10rds vs 6, and the longer radius and more stable platform make it FAR easier to shoot past 50 yards.

In the case of 9mm PCCs, they are unlikely to gain much if any velocity from a longer barrel compared to a full size pistol, but the greater stability, simple manual of arms, and longer sight radius(with irons) help any shooter. While competitive matches might not be an exact measurement of defensive use, most anyone will post faster times, and fewer misses with a PCC vs a pistol. Only real downside is close quarters or concealability, but for utility, they are awesome, and can expand on the abilities of a handgun without having to keep separate ammo and mags.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Agreed, all of that is true. Good points to have made. For a woods hunts makes sense as well. But the range due to exterior ballistics is the major sticking point for me. Preference.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Agreed, all of that is true. Good points to have made. For a woods hunts makes sense as well. But the range due to exterior ballistics is the major sticking point for me. Preference.

Of course a rifle caliber is usually going to be more powerful, and especially 9mm in a carbine won't really improve upon handgun ballistics, but the platform does extend the range far more than most think. a 9mm PCC with decent ammo is more than capable to use at 200 yards, still has about the same energy(still more monentum) than a 380ACP does at the muzzle, and a 40" holdover is nothing, simliar drop to 308 at 400 yards. subguns have been used out that far since they came on the battlefield. The greater stability, fast and accurate rapid fire, and ability to mount larger optics make them useable at distances where handguns really arent. IMO much of the 300BO's sucess is in it's ability to walk both sides of the Rilfe/PCC line, with the benefits of both with full power and subsonic ammo. PCCs also have benefits over rifle cal rifles, generally lighter blast/recoil, quieter suppression, and far more compact mags and ammo. In many ways the PCC niche has been recognized, and ideal for some since the Volcanic repeating rifle came out over 150 years ago.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    With my subsonic rounds, I would rather shoot a 9mm PCC versus a pistol just for the noise factor. It is pretty much .22 LR noise level. When I load up my 24" 1860 in 44-40 up with Trailboss powder, it is really quiet, same with my 32-20. If you haven't shot one for more than a few rounds, you're really missing out.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    With my subsonic rounds, I would rather shoot a 9mm PCC versus a pistol just for the noise factor. It is pretty much .22 LR noise level. When I load up my 24" 1860 in 44-40 up with Trailboss powder, it is really quiet, same with my 32-20. If you haven't shot one for more than a few rounds, you're really missing out.

Which is a big advantage of a PCC over a RCC. A 14.5 pinned PCC or 16” compared to something in .223 is MUCH quieter.

Also a 9mm PCC does gain about 200FPS depending on the load, which is nothing to sneeze at (about 30% more energy).

No a 9mm PCC is not ideal, but it could make a good HD gun. 32 rounds of heavy weight 9mm in a carbine length barrel ain’t too bad in tight confines for noise and if you want a rig, get a Glock handgun to go with and the mags are interchangeable.

Though ideally I’d go .45ACP for that. Plinking and “only PCC I own” I’d rather 9mm

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    All these new hotnesses from Ruger...this, the AR mag American, precision rimfire...They've already gotten soooo much of my money...but it looks like they'll be getting the rest of it this year.:o

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Let'em keep it. Street price will be around $550 soon enough. Not today, but soon.
    One of our IP's is all ready offering them for $525.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=218795&highlight=Ruger+pcc

Eventually they will be under $500. That's what I am waiting for! I own a High Point 995TS and it throws one hell of a group @ 50 yards with open sights even with my old eyes. The only problem with the High Point is the proprietary mags. The Ruger PCC accepting the Glock mags along with the take down is the shit!!! An accurate semi auto MP40! Hell yeah!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom