• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    My SIL's husband died rather unexpectedly, and he left behind 4 pistols. She has the original paperwork on two of them. She does not have power of attorney, or any other legal document proving ownership. She would like to sell them. How does she legally transfer them?

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    I would assume that since she was married to him all the possessions become marital property providing that there was nothing in the will to explain otherwise. If that's the case then she can sell them if she wants.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I would assume that since she was married to him all the possessions become marital property providing that there was nothing in the will to explain otherwise. If that's the case then she can sell them if she wants.

No, that's not correct. Maryland's intestate succession laws provide for 1/2 of the estate to go to the surviving spouse and the other 1/2 to go to surviving minor children. From there it gets more complicated.

In Maryland, a power of attorney is null and void upon the death of the principal, so that wouldn't help here.

To do this properly, your sister-in-law needs to open an estate and properly administer/probate the estate. She'll get Letters of Administration naming her as the personal representative, and from there she can use the Letters of Administration to transfer the assets/handguns.

If I'm not mistaken, she will need to go to either the MDSP or an FFL to handle the transfer, but she'll be exempt from the HQL requirement since she's receiving the firearms as an inheritance.

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    OP never mentioned any children. I don't believe the hand guns have to be transferred to her in order to sell them.

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    No, that's not correct. Maryland's intestate succession laws provide for 1/2 of the estate to go to the surviving spouse and the other 1/2 to go to surviving minor children. From there it gets more complicated.

In Maryland, a power of attorney is null and void upon the death of the principal, so that wouldn't help here.

To do this properly, your sister-in-law needs to open an estate and properly administer/probate the estate. She'll get Letters of Administration naming her as the personal representative, and from there she can use the Letters of Administration to transfer the assets/handguns.

If I'm not mistaken, she will need to go to either the MDSP or an FFL to handle the transfer, but she'll be exempt from the HQL requirement since she's receiving the firearms as an inheritance.

Good correct information
    Letter of administration would come from the registrar of wills. I believe if the estate is worth less than $13,000 there is no probate.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy

Interesting, thank you. There are no children. Are the Letters of Administration specific to individual things? She said she got two forms....one for each of his vehicles, and I think she said they were Letters of Administration.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Well, if the handguns were listed on the Schedule B (small estate), then she would’ve gotten extra letters. You generally get a letter for each asset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom